Wrestling Potpourri 1918-27

Wrestling Potpourri
Research by J. Michael Kenyon
Courtesy Dragon King Press and Karl Stern
Transcribed by Nathan Hubbard


Chicago IL: December 21, 1918
NOTE: Joe Stecher, his weight up to 220 pounds since he joined the Navy, says, "I am in the best condition of my career and now that it is all over over there I'm willing to wrestle for the title Gotch laid down."

Des Moines Register: December 29, 1918
NOTE: Oscar Thorson, promoter, is retiring. He says: "I do not expect to ever identify myself with the sports game as a promoter in the future. The wrestling game is too risky and too difficult to make it really profitable." Thorson is the man who developed Jess Westergaard, one of the leading wrestlers. Thorson himself was a wrestler in his younger days.

Chicago IL: December 30, 1918
Wladek Zbyszko beat Steve Savage (2-0)


Chicago IL: February 18, 1919
(Crown Theater): Wladek Zbyszko vs Jack Leon; Johnny Meyers vs CycloneBurns

Boston MA: February 20, 1919
Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Jim Eagan (2-0) NOTE: Lewis won falls in 33:30and 4:00

St. Louis MO: February 21, 1919
Joe Stecher beat Harry Buckman (2-0) NOTE: Next day, when Stecher arrived in Chicago in front of upcoming match with Ed Lewis, he referred to his opponent as "Jack Buckman" Whomever, he succumbed in the short order of 26:00 and 6:00

Sioux City IA: February 24, 1919
(att. 4,000): Joe Stecher drew Wladek Zbyszko (2:00:00, 0-0) Referee: Hugh McDougall, Promoter: Jack Curley. NOTE: Crowd said to be "disgusted" that the bout did not go to a finish. Stecher was unable to make use of his famous scissors hold and only once appeared to have the Pole at a disadvantage. That was with a head hold. Zbyszko frequently tried for toeholds, but failed to make any of them stick.

Omaha NE: February 24, 1919
Promoter Pete Loch writes the following to the sports editor of the Chicago Tribune: "Please announce in your paper that I will offer $10,000 purse for a match between Stecher, Zbyszko, Lewis, or any one of the three to wrestle (Marin) Plestina, the match to take place in Omaha within thirty days or sooner, the winner to take all the gate receipts."Chicago IL: February 24, 1919
Ed (Strangler) Lewis is in town, setting up training camp at Chicago Athletic Association gym. Paul Martinson will spar with him daily, it is said.

Sioux City IA: February 25, 1919
Referee Hugh McDougall, albeit a day late, gives the crowd what it wanted - a decision: he declares Wladek Zbyszko the winner "on points" and says "all bets are off".

Chicago IL: February 25, 1919
(Crown Theater) Wladek Zbyszko vs Steve Savage. NOTE: The toe hold is barred

Chicago IL: March 1, 1919
(Chicago A.A.) Walter Evans beat Young Demetral; Steve Savage beat Carl Schultz; Herman Koch beat Joe Wallace. NOTE: Ed (Strangler) Lewis, training at the Cherry Circle Club for his bout two days hence with Joe Stecher, was introduced at ringside.

Chicago IL: March 1, 1919
Yussif Hussane has been removed to the Garfield Boulevard Hospital here for treatment of an internal ailment that is puzzling the doctors. The wrestler was taken sick about 12 weeks ago and has had no relief since that time. He weighs but 159 pounds now where before he tipped the scales at 210. He has not appeared on the mat for the last four months and is under the care of Dr. B.W. Sippy.

Chicago IL: March 1, 1919
(Illinois A.C.) Paul Martinson beat Jack Rodgers (31:00) Referee: Bob Roper; Dick Henkel beat Charles Peterson; Mike Nestor beat Young Beell; Jim Londos beat Rolanda (13:00)

Gary IN: March 1, 1919
A middleweight wrestling tournament will open here Wednesday, March 5, with 58 entries from around the country. The tournament is to be held every other week, on Wednesdays. In the opening rounds, Tony Bokich, Indiana middleweight champion, meets Billy Schoeber of Indianapolis; Lou Talaber meets John Borden of Elgin IL; Jimmy Demetral tackles Ole Hanson of Columbus OH, and Louis Pergantis of Camp Custer wrestles Steve Leatschke of St.Louis.

(By Walter Eckersall, Chicago Sunday Tribune, March 2, 1919)
Robert Fredrick, known in wrestling circles as Ed (Strangler) Lewis, who will meet Joe Stecher at the Coliseum tomorrow night in a finish match, is an all-around athlete. He coached the football, basketball, and wrestling teams at Kentucky State university. Lewis never attended college, but his general knowledge of all branches of sport made him a valuable man as coach. While connected with the university he played on various professional basketball teams in the southern league. In the football season Lewis had complete charge of Kentucky State forwards. He taught the linemen various forms of leg locks, body checks, and how to use their hands to the best advantage on the defense. It was while coaching the wrestling team that Lewis began to study his now famous headlock. When he first started as public performer, he had not mastered the lock, but because he threw so many men in the south with his headlock, which then was a strangle hold, he was given the nickname of 'Strangler'. Wrestling fans will recall when Lewis came to Chicago about six years ago and was beaten by Fred Beell, Americus, and Charley Cutler. He attributed those defeats to the referee, who claimed his headlock was a strangle hold, and made him break the lock every time he put it on. Lewis returned to his home in Kentucky and worked on his favorite hold. He shifted the lock higher and away from the throat, so there was no chance of a strangle. When he had mastered it he secured a return match with Charley Cutler and won. He then went to Baltimore, where he beat Americus with the same hold. Since he has been training at the C.A.A., Lewis has made a decided impression with club members, who have watched his workouts. He will enter the ring weighing about 220 pounds. Matchmaker Joe Coffey has accepted referee Martin Delaney's suggestion to start the match at 9 o'clock. The principals and the referee will be in the ring. If a fall does not occur in ninety minutes, the men must wrestle to a fall to decide the contest. If there is a fall inside of ninety minutes, the wrestlers will grapple to a finish, best two in three falls. Capt. Lewis Omer of Camp Grant has been appointed to keep time for Lewis and Lieut. Jack Kennedy of Great Lakes for Stecher. Walter Eckersall will be the club's official timekeeper. Lewis and Stecher met yesterday with referee Delaney at the C.A.A. to talk over rules. Delaney ordered the men into the Cherry Circle ring and all questions as to holds when the men are tangled in the ropes were settled. The principals agreed not to permit their managers or trainers to coach from their corners.

(By Harvey T. Woodruff, Chicago Tribune, March 3, 1919)
Joe Stecher of Nebraska, formerly of Great Lakes, and Ed Lewis of Kentucky, formerly of Camp Grant, will meet tonight at the Coliseum in what is advertised as a finish wrestling match. The conditions call for best two of three falls with the proviso that if no fall has occurred within one and one-half hours, the result shall be determined by the first fall. The public is promised the return of its admission money if the bout goes to a stalemate draw. Martin Delaney of the Chicago Athletic Association, who has been called into service as referee to still any skeptics of the intentions of the grapplers, has announced he will not give a decision on points. Were it not for these conditions, the spectators would seem to be in for as much punishment as the grapplers. In their three previous matches, Stecher and Lewis have wrestled three draws, consuming nine hours, without a fall. Two of the bouts were of two hours' duration, and one of five hours. Because of this possibility, the men will be called to the mat at 9 o'clock . On the advance dope, Stecher is figured as the early aggressor with Lewis waiting for the former champion to tire before he takes the initiative. When the writer last saw Lewis in action, he appeared a strong defensive man whom it would be hard to flop, but lacking knowledge of offense to pin a man like Stecher unless the latter was almost all in. Manager Billy Sandow says Lewis has learned offense since then, while there is just a suspicion that Stecher is not as formidable as before his defeat by Caddock. At any rate, he is held to be beatable now. Considering the recent Stecher-Zbyszko fiasco in Sioux City when the men were hooted by spectators after a two-hour draw and together with promoter Jack Curley were accorded police protection, it is likely the promoters will endeavor to guard against any such scene here. Whether there will be enough action in the early stages to satisfy the spectators depends on the tactics of the combatants, but there seems, on the surface at least, no reason for a result other than on the level. Lewis will weigh around 222 pounds and Stecher perhaps ten pounds less. Oh, yes, the management announces the purse is $10,000, of which $6,000 goes to the winner.

(By Harvey T. Woodruff, Chicago Tribune, March 4, 1919)
Strangler Ed Lewis, late of Camp Grant, defeated Joe Stecher, late of Great Lakes, in a sensational finish to the heavyweight wrestling contest at the Coliseum last night, winning one fall and the match in 2:12:37 with a cat-like application of his favorite head lock. Under the conditions, one fall constituted the match if the men already had struggled one and one-half hours. The end came suddenly as the spectators were settling themselves for a long, drawn-out affair, for this pair previously had met in three matches and nine hours of wrestling without a fall. As the men were engaged in one of their innumerable mix-ups with Stecher feeling for an upset, Lewis suddenly backheeled his opponent and the pair swayed toward the mat. Like a flash Lewis applied a flying head lock, secured as they were struggling on the way down. Stecher struck the floor with a thump. Perhaps it partially stunned him. At any rate, Lewis clamped his hold more securely and twisted his legs over to hold Joe in position. There was an attempt on Stecher's part to squirm or bridge out of it, but he was pinned too securely and inside of thirty seconds referee Martin Delaney tapped Lewis on the arm, indicating that Stecher's shoulders were on the mat and the match was over. The bout was faster and more interesting than generally anticipated in view of previous long bouts between the same pair. The crowd seemed well satisfied that no suspicion attached to the result, and the show was well conducted, fulfilling the advance promises of the management. Both Stecher and Lewis were greeted with cheers as they stepped through the ropes, looking fit and ready after their service in the navy and army, respectively. The announcer, after stating the conditions of the match, said that referee Martin Delaney of the C.A.A. had declared off all bets at the request of the principals for the good of the game. Hostilities began at 9:05 o'clock. For the first thirty minutes the men did not leave their feet. Lewis apparently was following a careful plan of bulling in the hope of wearing down his rival. Stecher showed what little aggressiveness there was, but did not press his activity. Lewis broke into perspiration after fifteen minutes, while Stecher's body was merely moist. Just after the thirty-minute period, Joe applied a grapevine and Lewis went to the mat, but bounded up. Two minutes later, Joe again upset the Strangler. They were at once on their feet with the familiar bulling, but with decidedly more action than in the first half hour. After forty-seven minutes, Stecher turned a grapevine into a double wrist-lock, and for the first time got behind Lewis on the mat. Lewis, however, escaped an attempted scissors and scrambled to his feet after a minute. With only one upset, they pulled and hauled on their feet to the end of the first hour. During the next thirty minutes the men were on their feet most of the time. Lewis showed more willingness to take chances. After one hour and nine minutes Joe upset Ed, but in the flop to the canvas Lewis got behind Stecher for the first time. Nothing resulted. Fifteen minutes later, Lewis again was behind for a minute. Just as timekeeper Eckersall announced one hour and a half, Lewis broke a half-nelson and bobbed to his feet. Instead of becoming tiresome, the bout furnished plenty of action in the next half hour, with Lewis now and then taking up the offense. Lewis broke a scissors just before the two-hour mark. It would have been dangerous, but Ed got his arm between Joe's legs and spoiled the leverage. Twelve minutes later came the finish as previously described. Chicago's sport hungry fans trooped to the arena in large numbers, completely filling the points of vantage with only a few bare spots among the 2,200 seats on the main floor when principals for the preliminary appeared. When the waiting lines before the box office windows had been satisfied, the house was practically filled to capacity. The attendance was estimated at 7,000 and the receipts at $16,000. In the first preliminary, Jim Londos was the aggressor against the heavier Frank Yusko. It appeared only a question of time and Londos justified the confidence by securing the fall and match in 13:00 with a body scissors and wrist-lock. Paul Martinson, who always gives the spectators plenty of action, appeared in the second preliminary against Jack Sampson. They wrestled without a fall until 9 o'clock, then gave up the arena to the principals of the evening's entertainment.

Chicago IL: March 3, 1919
(Coliseum, att. 7,000, $16,000) Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Joe Stecher (2:12:37) - Referee: Martin Delaney; Jim Londos beat Frank Yusko (13:00); Paul Martinson drew Jack Sampson. NOTE: The purse was said to be $10,000, with $6,000 to the winner. Another report pegs the final gate at $12,000 and quotes promoter Jack Herman as saying the wrestlers received $7,200, or 60 per cent of the gross.

Norfolk VA: March 7, 1919
(att. 1,100) Wladek Zbyszko drew Ed (Strangler) Lewis (2:30:00)

Kansas City MO: March 10, 1919
Wladek Zbyszko beat Joe Stecher (2-1, 3:15:00)

Kansas City MO: March 10, 1919
Wladek Zbyszko beat Joe Stecher (2-1). NOTE: Claiming world title, Zbyszko is a clean winner. First fall to Stecher in 22:25 with a body scissors &arm hold. Wladek won 2nd fall with a reverse body hold in 2:14:25, and Zbyszko pinned Stecher in 3rd in 14:03. Around 2 hrs & 51 minutes of wrestling.

New York City NY: March 21, 1919
(MSG, att. 5,000) Wladek Zbyszko beat Ed (Strangler) Lewis (1:34:36). NOTE: Zbyszko slammed Lewis to the canvas and pinned him, thus ending latter�s 'claim' to Olin line world title. Promoter Jack Curley promised to refund admission money if there was no clear winner.

Chicago IL: April 28, 1919
Wladek Zbyszko beat Ed (Strangler) Lewis (2:14:09). NOTE: Scheduled as best of three falls, or one fall after two hours. There were reports of Lewis supporters losing their money.

Louisville KY: May 9, 1919
Joe Stecher beat Wladek Zbyszko (1:45:15). NOTE: Stecher won with bodyscissors and arm lock in a bout said to be for world's title.

Chicago IL: May 19, 1919
Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Wladek Zbyszko (2-1) NOTE: (by Steve Yohe) In a match described as "one of the greatest exhibitions of grit and determination ever seen", Lewis loses the 1st fall, a victim of a reverse body lock, in 1:36:52 and then comes back to win the next two using his headlock in 48:35 & 12:56. Reported to be a great match & one of Lewis's biggest victories. Ed claimed world title because of this match & his March 3, 1919 win over Stecher.

Omaha NE: June 11, 1919
Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Jim Londos (1:34:45) NOTE: Lewis won with a headlock but reports said that Londos, outweighed 40 pounds, gave the Strangler "one of the hardest matches of his career."

Gordon NE: June 14, 1919
John Pesek beat Wladek Zbyszko (2:03:15) NOTE: Pesek used a head scissors and a wrist lock to upset Zbyszko.

Omaha NE: July 4, 1919
Joe Stecher beat Ed (Strangler) Lewis (2-0) Referee: Earl Caddock. NOTE: (by Steve Yohe) 'Stecher won two straight falls over Lewis. The first in 1 hour and 47 minutes & the 2nd in 14 minutes, both using the body scissors & arm lock. One of Stecher's greatest victories. Lewis was on the defensive throughout'.

06-1919: Jack (could be John?) Pesek defeats Wladek Zbyszko and bills himself as world champion.

Lincoln NE: July 14, 1919
Joe Stecher beat Wladek Zbyszko


Chicago IL: August 18, 1920
(White City) Renato Gardini beat Paul Martinson (52:30, cnc); Hugh Gannon beat Young Americus; Jack Ipkowitz beat Tom Hatcher


Chicago IL: February 22, 1921
(Coliseum) Jim Londos drew John Pesek (1:15:00); Johnny Meyers beat Lou Talaber (1:15:00, dec); Jack Reynolds beat Spiros Verros (2-1). Promoter: Mrs. Marshall Field. NOTE: Meyers was defending a version of the middleweight title, Reynolds defended his welterweight title version

Chicago IL: February 25, 1921
(Haymarket) Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Charley Cutler (2-0)

Chicago IL: March 30, 1921
(2nd Reg. Armory) Johnny Meyers beat Lou Talaber (2-1); Pete Katausky vs Ralph Parcaut (latter no show, match canceled); Tom Rolewicz beat Otto Propotnic; Ben Stefanski beat Steve Litzka. NOTE: Meyers was defending his middleweight title.

Chicago IL: December 2, 1921
(Haymarket) William Demetral drew John Freberg (0-0, 1:15:00)

Detroit MI: December 5, 1921
(WORLD TITLE) Stanislaus Zbyszko* beat Giovanni Mazzan (2-0)

Kansas City MO: December 6, 1921
Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Cliff Binckley (2-0); Dick Daviscourt beat Wladek Zbyszko (2-1)


Chicago IL: February 1, 1923
Promoter Doc Krone offers $25,000 purse for Ed (Strangler) Lewis vs Marin Plestina title bout either late this month or in March. Plestina does no taccept.

Chicago IL: March 2, 1923
(Star & Garter) Jim Londos beat George Walker (2-0) NOTE: Londos obtained falls in 32:07 and 9:24 from his Canadian opponent.

Chicago IL: March 6, 1923
(Ashland Blvd. Auditorium, att. 1,500) George Calza beat Paul Finsky(2-0); William Demetral beat Bob Managoff (sub for Sam Clapham); Charles Cutler beat Jack Roberts (sub for Ivan Petroff) - Referee: Emil Thiry, Promoter: Doc Krone. NOTE: Promoter Krone claimed he had 2,100 customers, who paid $3,000

(Chicago Tribune, March 7, 1923)
The headlock, the hold which has spelled defeat for so many challengers, enabled Ed (Strangler) Lewis, world's heavyweight champion, successfully to defend his title against Allen Eustace of Kansas in the main bout of the wrestling show staged by the Midwest A.C. at the Coliseum last night. Lewis took the first fall in 1:07:18 by use of his famous lock and the second in 14:03 with the same hold. In the other bout, Stanislaus Zbyszko, the Pole, failed to toss Renato Gardini, Italian champion, twice in an hour and lost the match. The Pole not only was unable to throw the Italian but he was outwrestled and outgeneraled most of the way. As a result of his victory, Gardini was rewarded with a match with Lewis. The bout will be held at the Coliseum on April 3 under the auspices of the Midwest A.C.

The Lewis-Eustace match furnished some excitement for the large crowd, but the champion was master of the situation at all times. He broke numbers of seemingly deadly holds and clamped on his vicious headlocks whenever he was ready to pin his man. Eustace relied upon arm locks and body scissors, but not once had the champion in what might be called a dangerous position, although the crowd thought Strangler would be pinned several times. When Lewis did apply his headlocks he did it in a finished manner. When he took the first fall he put three head holds on Eustace in quick succession, and Eustace finally succumbed to the last one. The second fall was a repetition of the first, only it came quicker. Lewis gave his usual attractive exhibition of defensive wrestling, and, although he has not appeared in Chicago in years, he did all that was expected of him. Instead of Zbyszko having Gardini in tight places, the Italian made the Pole work to get out of dangerous positions. Gardini applied the short arm scissors for good results, and at times held his opponent to the mat with underneath arm scissors, which circles both arms. The Pole had trouble to break them. On other occasions Gardini secured arm locks from standing positions and forced Zbyszko to the mat. At other times he used body scissors and was easily entitled to the decision at the end of one hour of wrestling. He was given a great ovation by his countrymen after the call of time.

In the opening bout Stanley Pinta took a one-fall match from Joe Geshtout in 17:40 with an arm scissors. Promoters estimated the crowd at 6,500 and the receipts between $9,000 and $10,000.

Chicago IL: March 6, 1923
(Coliseum, att. 6,500, $9,500): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Allen Eustace (2-0); (Handicap) Stanislaus Zbyszko FTT Renato Gardini 2x60:00 (no falls taken); Stanley Pinto (as Stanley Pinta) beat Joe Geshtout. NOTE: Lewis took falls in 1:07:18 and 14:03, both with headlocks.

St. Louis MO: March 7, 1923
(Coliseum): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Dan Koloff (2-0); JimLondos drew Ivan Linow; Renato Gardini beat Jack Roller. NOTE: Londos and Koloff are said to be working a Rock Springs exhibition for promoter Gus Eisel, stricken with eye disease, Al Wasem vs Harry Kabakoff on the same card.

Chicago IL: December 18, 1923
(Coliseum): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Joe Zickmond (sub for Joe Rogacki) (2-0); Pat McGill drew Frank Judson; Reginald Siki beat Andre Anderson; Mike Romano beat Bill Beth. NOTE: Lewis took falls in 54:00 and 21:15.


Chicago IL: January 1, 1924
(Coliseum, att. 4,000): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Taro Myaki (2-0, mixed styles); Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Joe Zickman (56:21); Mike Romano beat Herman Koch; Fred Meyers beat Bill Beth - Promoter: John (Doc) Krone.

Chicago IL: January 3, 1924
(Ashland Blvd. Aud.): Johnny Meyers beat Joe Parelli; Hugh Nichols drew John Kilonis; Karl Pojello beat Pete Kobloski; Olaf Lamarkov beat Benny Newberger.

Chicago IL: January 4, 1924
(Star & Garter): (Handicap) Stanislaus Zbyszko FTT Mike Romano; Regis Siki beat Ted Nelson.

Chicago IL: January 8, 1924
(1st Reg. Armory): Karl Pojello drew William Demetral: John Evkovitch (John Evko) beat Charley Sanderson; Alex Garkawienko beat Ajax Seeler; Hugh Nichols beat Joe Novak. Promoter: Charles Cutler.

Chicago IL: January 11, 1924
(Star & Garter): Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Regis Siki; (Handicap) Hans Steinke beat Andre Anderson & Bill Beth.

Chicago IL: January 14, 1924
(Ashland Blvd.): Johnny Meyers beat Joe Turner (2-0); Joe Parelli drew John Kilonis; Jack Reynolds beat Joe Novak; Hugh Nichols drew Chris Jordan. NOTE: Meyers claimed world middleweight title; Reynolds claimed both the welter and lightweight titles.

Chicago IL: January 15, 1924
(Dexter Park): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Mike Romano; Hans Steinke drew Stanislaus Zbyszko; Regis Siki beat Jack McCarthy (dq); Lou Talaber drew Taro Myaki; Jack Sachs beat Ted Danks.

Minneapolis MN: January 17, 1924
(Gayety): John Freberg beat Reginald Siki. NOTE: Siki, said to be from South Africa, learned to wrestle while in French forces during World War I, has wrestled (and lost to) Ed Lewis, Stanislaus Zbsyzko, Joe Stecher and John Pesek; supposedly 6-3, 220.

Chicago IL: January 18, 1924
(Star & Garter); Hans Steinke beat Paul Martinson; Lou Talaber beat Matty Matsuda.

Chicago IL: January 22, 1924
(1st Reg. Armory): Karl Pojello beat George Walker (dq); John Evko beat Thor Hansen; John Kilonis beat Tom Cannon; Joe Parelli beat Young Zbyszko.

Chicago IL: January 25, 1924
(Star & Garter): Renato Gardini drew Jack Linow; Fred Meyers beat Young George Hackenschmidt.

Philadelphia PA: January 31, 1924
(National AA): Renato Gardini beat Charles Cutler (2-0); Cyclone Ress drew Nazzarino Poggi (60:00).

Chicago IL: February 1, 1924
(Star & Garter): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Jack McCarthy; Joe Dostal beat Ted Paulson.

St. Louis MO: February 2, 1924
(WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Renato Gardini.

Decatur IL: February 4, 1924
August Sepp beat Gus Anderson.

Chicago IL: February 6, 1924
(Coliseum): Hans Steinke beat Stanislaus Zbyszko; Renato Gardini beat Jack McCarthy; Pat McGill beat Yussif Hussane; Joe Dostal beat Ted Paulson/

Lethbridge AB: February 6, 1924
Jack Taylor beat Dan Koloff.

Chicago IL: February 8, 1924
(Star & Garter): Johnny Meyers drew Sammy Sandow; Paul Martinson beat Jack Rober.

New York City NY: February 12, 1924
(71st Reg. Armory, att. 4,000): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Pat McGill (1:15:36); Wayne Munn beat Bill Beth; Fred Meyers beat Charles Disch; Frank Judson drew Mike Romano.

Chicago IL: February 15, 1924
(Star & Garter): Renato Gardini drew Wladek Zbyszko; Dr. Carl Furness beat Herman Koch.

Chicago IL: February 26, 1924
(Stockyards Pavilion): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1) NOTE: Lewis said to have arrived in town, from Nekoosa WI, the day previous.

Chicago IL: February 29, 1924
(Star & Garter Theater): Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Elmer Saunders (of Ashland WI) (1:50:39, 1-0, midnight curfew); Lou Talaber beat Herman Koch.

Chicago IL: March 12, 1924
(First Regiment Armory): Hans Steinke vs Josef Rogacki; Karl Pojello vsLouis Pergantos - Promoter: Charles Cutler.

St. Louis MO: March 12, 1924
Ed (Strangler) Lewis vs Jim Londos; Stanislaus Zbyszko vs Renato Gardini.

St. Louis MO: April 1, 1924
(Coliseum, att. 7,500, $14,860): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Jim Londos; Hans Steinke beat Luigi Rolazon; Joe (Toots) Mondt drew Renato Gardini.

Chicago IL: May 28, 1924
(Coliseum, att. 5,600, $9,500): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1); Frank Judson beat Andreas Costanos; Karl Sarpolis beat Bill Beth; Promoter: John (Doc) Krone - Referee: Emil Thiry.

St. Louis MO: June 11, 1924
Wladek Zbyszko beat Joe Komarankas (later Joe 'Bull' Komar) (2-0); Nick Lutze beat Ted Paulson; Billy Schober beat Frank Hodnick.

Los Angeles CA: July 30, 1924
(Philharmonic Hall): Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Demitry Martinoff (10:00, cnc); Joe (Toots) Mondt beat Nick Velcoff (2-0); Joe Bonomo beat Charley Ackerman; (Jiu Jitsu) Prof. Higami beat Emil Maupa (sub for Jack Hunter).

Los Angeles CA: August 13, 1924
(Philharmonic Hall, att. SRO): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Joe (Toots) Mondt (1:36:00); Pat McGill beat Nick Velcoff; Jack Steele vs Charley Ackerman; (Jiu Jitsu) Prof. Higami vs Cyclone Mortensen.

Los Angeles CA: August 27, 1924
(Philharmonic Hall, att. 5,500, $16,000): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1) Referee: Wallace Duguid; Frank LaMarr beat Nick Velcoff; Pat McGill beat John Hackenschmidt; (Jiu Jitsu) K. Ikuta beat Emil Maupa. NOTE: A disputed third fall precipitated brief pandemonium.

(Braven Dyer, L.A. Times, Aug. 28, 1924)
"Zbyszko clamped a terrific arm hold on his rival and quickly shifted this to the toe which had absorbed so much damage in the second fall. Suddenly Lewis jerked himself free, both men falling to one side of the mat. The champion was on Zbyszko like a flash and secured his old reliable headlock. The referee tapped him on the shoulder, signifying that he had won, the fall coming in four minutes. Bedlam immediately broke loose. Spectators who were within five feet of the spot where the final fall occurred were emphatic in their declarations that Zbyszko was not on the mat at all when thrown. This is against the rules, the men having agreed that at least the shoulders should be on the mat for a fall. Referee Wallace Duguid stated that the Pole�s shoulders were on the mat and that that was all that was necessary. Zbyszko was in a terrible rage and several cops attempted to maintain order, but with little success. Eye-witnesses said that Lewis had kicked Zbyszko under the chin just prior to the final fall."

Los Angeles CA: August 30, 1924
This agreement made and entered into this 30th day of August, 1924, between Lou Daro of Los Angeles, Cal., party of the first part, and Billy Sandow (manager of Ed "Strangler" Lewis) and Stanislaus Zbyszko, parties of the second part. Witnesseth: That said parties of the second part hereby agree to enter into a finish wrestling match for party of the first part, at Philharmonic Auditorium, in said city of Los Angeles, Cal., on the 4th day of September, 1924, for best two falls out of three. Catch-as-catch-can rules as follows: 1--Match to be a finish; no time limit; 2--Rolling falls do not count; Both shoulders must be pinned to the mat for at least three seconds; 4--Contestants shall be allowed ten minutes rest between falls; 5--When the wrestlers roll off the mat they shall be ordered to the center of the mat and come to a standing position and begin anew; 6--Neither contestant is allowed to rub any oil or grease on his body; 7--The referee shall slap on back or shoulders the wrestler securing a fall, so that the under man will not be strained by being held too long in a possible painful position; 8--The strangle hold is barred. A single arm maybe pressed against an opponent�s throat, but the free arm or hand must not touch any part of the opponent�s head or neck; 9--Each contestant shall be entitled to the assistance of one second, and said second shall be allowed to coach during the progress of the match. Seconds must not touch their man during a bout; 10--If a man leaves the ring, either to escape punishment or for any other purpose, without the permission of the referee, unless he is involuntarily forced out, shall forfeit the match; 11--Contestants shall not be allowed to rest during the match, unless special circumstances arise, when agreement by seconds of both men is necessary to make the pause rulable; 12--The referee shall decide all questions that are not covered by these regulations; 13--Lou Daro agrees to pay to B.C. Sandow, for the services of Ed (Strangler) Lewis, the sum of ten thousand dollars ($10,000), win or lose. In addition, B.C. Sandow is allowed the privilege of 60 per cent of the gross gate receipts, win or lose; 14--Stanislaus Zbyszko agrees to accept the sum of two hundred dollars for his services, win or lose. This sum to cover training expenses; 15--Lou Daro agrees to deliver to the winner of this contest the championship wrestling belt now in his possession; 16--The parties of the second part hereby agree to deposit with the party of the first part the sum of one thousand dollars, as forfeit money, to guarantee their appearance and to fulfill this contract; 17--The referee to be mutually agreed up on by parties of the second part at least (24) twenty-four hours before said contest. In the event they fail to agree, then the promoter, Lou Daro, shall name a referee; 18--The mat to be enclosed in a regulation ring of three ropes. (Signed) LOU DARO, BILLY SANDOW, STANISLAUS ZBYSZKO

Los Angeles CA: September 4, 1924
(Philharmonic Hall, att. 6,000): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1): Frank LaMarr beat Charley (Swede) Olson (sub for Jack Welsh); Joe (Toots) Mondt beat Herman Stroh. NOTE: (Los Angeles Herald) "�Carnation Lou� Daro almost wept as he saw several thousand being turned away. But Daro bore up bravely and spent a pleasant evening greeting as many of the cash customers as he could reach."

Chicago IL: October 21, 1924
Lou Talaber beat Heinie Engel; NOTE: Lou Talaber defending world middleweight title.

Wichita Eagle: Sunday, Dec. 14, 1924
"There will be a new wrestling champion before the present season is over is the opinion of Tom Law, local mat promoter who returned from Tulsa last night for a brief visit here before leaving for Kansas City where he will view the big independent card put on the first of the week. Steinke, Wladek Zbyszko, Londos, Daviscourt, Gardini and other top-notch grapplers who are not connected with Sandow�s �trust� are on the big card. As in other places, the �independents� are making a determined effort to break through the trust and force Lewis into a match with some real wrestlers. Daviscourt will meet Gardini on the Kansas City show in a one-fall affair. He will return to Wichita then and train for his big match with Ad Santel on the card here next Friday night.

Chicago IL: December 16, 1924
(Coliseum): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Mike Romano (2-1)

Chicago IL: December 18, 1924
Billy Sandow announces that Ed Lewis is sailing for Europe January 16 "to meet all comers."


Kansas City MO: January 8, 1925
(WORLD TITLE*) Wayne (Big) Munn beat Ed (Strangler) Lewis (2-1): NOTE: This is the beginning of a promotional war with Lewis claiming to have been fouled when thrown over the top rope by Munn. Lewis keeps the physical belt and continues to be promoted as world champion by Billy Sandow and Ed White. The whole war was a booking angle to reunify the two titles in a big money match scheduled for May. However a shoot double cross by Stanislaus Zbyszko and promoter Tony Stecher messes things up considerably in April. The two separate world championships are reunified again in 1928.

Chicago IL: February 25, 1925
(Garfield Park Eagles): Johnny Meyers vs John Kilonis; Joe (Toots) Mondt vs Jack Sampson; Paul Martinson vs Fred Meyers

Chicago IL: February 26, 1925
(Bdwy Armory, att. 5,000, $8,000): Lou Talaber beat Heine Engel (1-1, cnc) - Referee: Emil Thiry; Joe Parelli drew Jack Sachs; Tony Hadjick beat Vic Seaholm� Antonio Rocco beat Tommy Cannon. NOTE: Talaber retained a version of the middleweight title; he weighed in at 158 and Engel was at 157.

(Chicago Tribune, February 27, 1925)
Wayne Munn, claimant of the world�s heavyweight wrestling championship, and manager Gabe Kaufmann were in Chicago yesterday to confer with a representative of a local syndicate which is willing to pay $100,000 for Munn�s services from March 15 to June 1. Ed White, representing the syndicate, held a long conference with Munn and Kaufmann which finally resulted in White turning over $5,000 to the champion for an option on his services. It seems that Munn is tied up with theatrical contracts and has signed for several matches in defense of his title. Manager Kaufmann expects to be released from these entanglements by March 15. If such is the case, the syndicate then will turn over to Munn and his manager $95,000. The contract then will place Munn�s services at the disposal of the syndicate, which may elect to show him in pictures, on the stage, or compel him to engage in actual wrestling matches. If Munn is freed from present obligations, the contract will be signed on March 15 and will hold until June 1st. While in Chicago, Kaufmann agreed to permit Munn to meet the winner of the Joe (Toots) Mondt - Stanislaus Zbyszko bout at the Coliseum on Tuesday night. Kaufmann asserted the big fellow is open to meet any man in the world provided the terms are satisfactory. Munn and his manager left last night for Rochester, N.Y., where Wayne will take holds with Pat McGill in a finish match tonight. Mondt is working every day at the Mullen gymnasium and Zbyszko is training at the Arcade. Toots is eager to take holds with Munn, for he firmly believes a little man can defeat the Cornhusker. Zbyszko, although defeated by Munn in straight falls, is anxious to have one more fling at the claimant of the title. Three other bouts will support the main event.

Rochester NY: February 27, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Wayne (Big) Munn* beat Pat McGill (2-0)

Chicago IL: February 27, 1925
(Star & Garter): Mike Romano drew Tom Draak (55:00, 0-0, midnight curfew): Tony Felice beat Charlie Byrd (dq) - Referee: McMahon

Omaha NE: February 27, 1925
John Pesek beat Charley Hanson (2-0) - NOTE: Pesek falls came at 26:25 and 37:00, thus dousing Hanson�s avowed bid to "break the mat trust". Hanson had alleged that Pesek was a "policeman" for the trust

Chicago IL: March 3, 1925
(Coliseum): Joe (Toots) Mondt beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (40:50); Mike Romano beat Jack McCarthy; Allen Eustace drew Dick Shikat (as Richard Schikat).

Indianapolis IN: March 5, 1925
(World Welterweight Title*) Tommy Record* beat Jack Reynolds.

Wichita KS: March 5, 1925
Joe Stecher arrives before the Santel bout, bringing with him the famous diamond-studded championship belt, which he received from Nebraska admirers. This belt is the most expensive one ever made. It cost $17,000 when the Nebraska fans bought it and it is now thought to be worth between $25-30,000. It is to be displayed at Dockum's No. 1 Thursday and Friday.

Cleveland OH: March 6, 1925
(Public Auditorium, att. 6,000): (WORLD TITLE) Wayne (Big) Munn* beat Wallace Duguid (2-0); Ed (Strangler) Lewis drew William Demetral (60:00); Mike Romano beat Hassan Giles.

Chicago IL: March 6, 1925
(Star & Garter): Lou Talaber beat John Kilonis (44:05); Richard (Dick) Schikat beat Jack McCarthy.

Wichita KS: March 6, 1925
Joe Stecher beat Ad Santel (2-1); Dan Koloff beat Jack Roller - Referee: Paul Sickner; Perly Fisher drew Getz - NOTE: After winning first fall in 74 minutes, Santel slipped on wobbly ring steps and fell heavily to the floor, perhaps weakening him enough for Stecher to take advantage and win the remaining two falls.

Duluth MN: March 10, 1925
Charles Leppanen beat Jack Johnson (1-1, dq) - NOTE: "(Johnson) reverted to boxing in his wrestling match here tonight with Charles Leppanen - and lost the match on a foul, a left hook to the jaw that floored Leppanen."

Chicago IL: March 11, 1925
(Dreamland Rink): Joe Stecher vs Ivan Zakin; Jack Sherry vs George Hills; Jim Londos on card - NOTE: Zakin trained at Mullen Gym for this bout.

Cleveland OH: March 17, 1925
William Demetral, Chicago heavyweight wrestler, was sentenced to six months in the Warrensville, Ohio, workhouse and fined $200 and costs today after a jury found him guilty of assault and battery. He was released on $7,500 bond, pending appeal. Demetral was charged with maiming Joseph di Lello during a wrestling match between Demetral and Stanislaus Zbyszko here April 16, 1923. Zbyszko threw Demetral from the ring. When Di Lello attempted to assist him back onto the mat, Demetral poked his fingers into his eyes.

Chicago IL: March 17, 1925
(Coliseum): Joe (Toots) Mondt vs Mike Romano - Promoters: Doc Krone, Charles Cutler.

(Wichita Eagle, Thursday, March 19, 1925)
Wrestling fans who happened to drift around to the Y.M.C.A. gym last night about 8 p.m. saw a ten dollar show for nothing. Two professional wrestlers, Dick Daviscourt and Jim Browning, got into an argument which ended up into a rough and tumble wrestling match without a referee and then into a fight, with no gloves. It all started when Jim Browning went into the gym where Daviscourt was scheduled to work out with a local amateur grappler. "Why don't you work out with me?" said Browning, walking up to Daviscourt."Why, you're a professional," Daviscourt said. "I'm working out here tonight with a local boy.""Well, you're a professional, too," Browning came back. "What's the matter,are you afraid to wrestle me?" This seemed to add some red flags to Daviscourt's rising wrath. "What do you mean going around the country telling everyone I'm afraid of you?" snapped back Daviscourt. "Why, you're nothing but a preliminary wrestler." That started the fireworks. In a minute, Daviscourt and Browning were on the mat, without a referee and everything went. The fans at the "Y" gym crowded around to see the fireworks, eager to see a real wrestling match with nothing barred. According to spectators it was one well worth seeing. First one and then the other got a punishing hold. Browning held a head scissors on Daviscourt which had Daviscourt panting for breath. Daviscourt jabbed Browning. Once Daviscourt held a mean headlock on Browning. Time and again a man was on the mat with shoulders touching, but it was give-up stuff and neither would quit. Accounts vary as to how the fistic part started. At any rate the two professionals had wrestled for 30 minutes with no falls when Daviscourt started beating Browning's head on the floor. Daviscourt claimed Browning had kicked him. Browning got up and made a swipe at Daviscourt. Daviscourt came back and they had a lively mill. Just then some cooler heads intervened, including Lloyd Dyer and other gym officials, and got the men separated. "Come one, we'll finish it with gloves," was Browning's parting shot. But Daviscourt didn't answer. Most of the spectators admitted that Browning had had the best of the argument up to the time the match was terminated in a fistfight. They also said that Daviscourt had started the fighting business. Daviscourt is scheduled to wrestle Ad Santel here Friday night. Browning is to be on the preliminary. According to Browning's side of the story, he has been trying to land a match with Daviscourt here or elsewhere for three years, but Daviscourt has always refused to talk business. Friends of Browning stated yesterday that Browning had threatened to "get" Daviscourt on the mat and show him up. Daviscourt claimed last night that Browning had started all the trouble. "I went to the Y.M.C.A. to work out. Browning started to get insulting and I guess I lost my temper," said Daviscourt. "If he thinks he can beat me in a match I'm willing to take him on sometime. However it's pretty poor stuff when a man has to bring his friends and try to pull that stuff on you in a gym, especially when I was all tired out after a workout. "Browning couldn't be reached last night to give his end of the match but two of his friends stated that Browning was more satisfied than ever that he could beat Daviscourt, either wrestling or boxing.

(Wichita Eagle, March 21, 1925)
Ad Santel repeated his victory over Dick Daviscourt at the Forum last night, winning two falls out of three in about the fastest and hardest fought match seen here for several moons. Santel's victory came after Daviscourt had won the first fall in 41 minutes with a toe hold. Santel then came back and won a sensational victory with a merry-go-round and crotch hold in 58 minutes and took the final and deciding fall in 23 minutes with a split. By winning Santel fooled a lot of the wise ones who figured it was Daviscourt's turn to win. But Santel was simply too good for the more powerful Daviscourt, who nevertheless wrestled a great match and time and again wriggled out of Santel's famous short arm scissors and grapevines. Time and again he had Santel dangerously near to a fall in the second and third falls, when a fall meant a match. Daviscourt tried his headlock repeatedly but never with any success. The total wrestling time was over two hours and in that time there wasn't a minute of stalling. Nor did there seem to be any circus stuff. Neither wrestler apparently dared to allow the other to escape a hold. Both got out of some bad ones which were held sometimes for as much as 10 minutes at a stretch. Santel started the match by getting a short arm scissors which he held on Daviscourt for six minutes before Dick could squirm loose. Then Dick got in his action and the men alternated in a series of holds, mostly toe holds for the next half hour. Daviscourt finally got a punishing toe hold on Santel which forced his lighter opponent to take the three counts. Santel came back strong in the second fall and was the aggressor most of the way. Daviscourt wrestled a great defensive battle, however, breaking several holds by brute strength. It looked at several different periods as though Santel were a sure winner but each time Daviscourt managed to roll out when it looked impossible. The end of the second fall was a hummer and brought the crowd to its feet. Santel had had an arm scissors which was broken. Santel then slammed Daviscourt down, and pinned a crotch hold on him. Holding Daviscourt by the legs, Santel maneuvered his husky opponent until he had him just right, then started whirling him around, Daviscourt's head downwards. After three whirls Santel let Daviscourt down with a jar and pounced on him. It was all over in a second. Daviscourt was down and stunned so badly he was an easy victim. The third fall was Santel's. Daviscourt rallied with an arm lock and another time with a hammerlock. But Santel rolled out and after 22 minutes of work pinned another peculiar hold on Daviscourt which brought him victory. This was a split, another variation of the crotch. This time Daviscourt had to give up without being pinned to save from being split in two. Jim Browning won the preliminary in impressive fashion, toying with Jack Roller for 18 minutes and then winning with a scissors. Browning attempted to challenge Daviscourt between falls of the main event but was shoved backout of the ring by referee Ernie Lynn. A crowd of about 800 watched the match.
(ED. NOTE: Ringside box seats for the bout were priced at $3.30 and $2.20, "parquet" seats were $2.20 and $1.65, and balcony seats were $1.65 and$1.10. In 1925 prices "a 'fine' pair of men's shoes were advertised in downtown Wichita that month for $15" so this was far from a cheap affair. Promoter Tom Law was in the business for several decades, organizing and presenting shows from coast to coast: and some of his best were in Wichita.)

Wichita KS: March 20, 1925
(Forum, att. 800): Ad Santel beat Dick Daviscourt (2-1); Jim Browning beat Jack Roller.

Philadelphia PA: April 14, 1925
(Adelphia): Joe Stecher beat Frank Judson (1:15:15); Renato Gardini drew Oreste Vadalfi (60:00, 0-0) - Promoter: Ray Fabiani.

Philadelphia PA: April 15, 1925
(Arena, att. 8,000): (WORLD TITLE*) Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Wayne (Big) Munn (2-0) (8:11 & 4:53!); John Pesek threw Frank Bruno five times inside an hour (39:21 elapsed time); Mike Romano beat Ivan Kanski - Promoter: Jack Curley. NOTE: Zbyszko is said to be 58 years old, weighs 210 pounds and in height reaches only about Munn's shoulders.

Philadelphia PA: April 16, 1925
Gabe Kaufman says Wayne Munn has been hospitalized with a 104-degree fever and was ill with severe tonsilitis and influenza when he entered the ring against Stanislaus Zbyszko the night previous. "Both Dr. Abraham Baron, physician for the state boxing commission, and Dr. S.H. Lanyon, examined Munn before the bout and advised him against entering the ring." All Munn's road engagements have been canceled.

(Wichita Eagle, Saturday, April 18, 1925)
CHICAGO, April 17, "The $60,000 purse for a Decoration Day match for the heavyweight wrestling championship at Michigan City had almost vanished tonight because of the surprising defeat of the title holder, Wayne (Big) Munn, by Stanislaus Zbyszko in Philadelphia Wednesday night. Ed (Strangler) Lewis, the former champion, had signed up for the return match with Munn, who threw him out of the ring in Kansas City, and Munn was holding off while he was trying to land a $100,000 European tour contract. Efforts to sign up the new champion Zbyszko with Lewis, in place of Munn, have met with little success so far, and this has revived talk in wrestling circles of "the wrestling trust" war between the eastern and western groups. The apparent ease with which the 55-year-old Zbyszko slammed Munn to the floor twice in less than 15 minutes has mystified wrestling circles, because Munn, a few weeks ago, had defeated Zbyszko, "Toots" Mondt, Mike Romano and others among the topnotchers. As a drawing card for the Decoration Day match, Munn, the young collegian of immense size, was regarded as a great attraction: until Zbyszko took his title away in 15 minutes.While the negotiations for the Michigan City match were under way in Chicago last week, Munn's manager, Gabe Kaufman, was tendered an agreement providing that neither Lewis nor Munn should wrestle anyone else prior to Decoration Day. Kaufman refused to sign. Munn, out of condition because of tonsilitis, continued east on a wrestling tour and lost his prize. Floyd Fitzsimmons of Michigan City, who offered the $60,000 purse, said he had no reply from Zbyszko to his offer to take Munn's place in the Decoration Day match. Half of the amount is on deposit in a Chicago bank. Lewis and Zbyszko have met six times and five times Lewis won (sic). Once Zbyszko took the title but lost it back again a year later to Lewis, who surrendered it to Munn.

(Wichita Eagle, Saturday, April 18, 1925)
Dick Daviscourt proved his supremacy over Jim Browning and earned the right to be called Wichita champion by flopping Browning two out of three falls in their wrestling engagement at the Forum Friday night. Daviscourt won the first and third falls. He demonstrated a better knowledge of the game, plus greater speed and science most of the way. Browning started well and reached his peak in the second fall, which he won after hounding Daviscourt all the way. But the rest of the time Daviscourt was simply too cunning for his younger opponent. Daviscourt won his falls by direct agency of the headlock, assisted by other holds. The first came in 45 minutes with a headlock which was turned into a double arm lock. Browning won his fall with a scissors after wearing Daviscourt down with a series of headlocks. Daviscourt won the last and deciding fall in 12 minutes, when he crashed Browning to the mat after evading a headlock and simply rested his massive bulk on the stunned Browning. The fans who love the ups and downs of the modern rough and tumble wrestling were well satisfied with the match. There was plenty doing all the time, in and out of the ring. Daviscourt was thrown through the ropes innumerable times. Browning demonstrated flashes of strength but not of endurance. The youngster showed that some day he will make a great wrestler, but is not yet ready to cope with Daviscourt's size, science and lasting powers. The crowd was about equally divided and there was a big uproar at the end of each fall. Most of the fans seemed to give Daviscourt the edge, but a lot were pulling for Browning, who had entered the ring as the "underdog." The bout was enlivened by a great number of headlocks, probably the most ever seen here in a match of the same duration. Browning had at least a dozen on Daviscourt in the second fall. In this period, Daviscourt seemed to have lost all his former cunning and was on the defensive all the time. He might have been playing with Browning, but if he was he carried it too far for he lost the fall when Browning caught him with a fine head scissors. The preliminary went to Henry Steinborn, a "strong man" who made a big impression, beating Clarence Jenkins with ease. Steinborn demonstrated a lot of strong man circus stuff and after tossing Jenkins gave an exhibition. He later challenged Daviscourt to a finish match here. Ernie Lynn refereed the bouts. (ED. NOTE: Henry Steinborn soon became better known as Milo Steinborn, and carved out a long career as, firstly, a grappler and secondly, an outstanding promoter in Florida. His son, Dick, became a teen-aged star in 1951 and himself enjoyed a long and impressive career in the squared circle.)

Wichita KS: April 17, 1925
(Forum): Dick Daviscourt beat Jim Browning (2-1); Milo Steinborn beat Clarence Jenkins - Referee: Ernie Lynn. NOTE: Browning said to have wins over Martinson, Costanos, Roller, McCarthy and several others. Of the main event, the Wichita Eagle opined, "The fans who love the ups and downs of modern rough and tumble wrestling were well satisfied with the match. There was plenty doing all the time, in and out of the ring. Daviscourt was thrown through the ropes innumerable times. Browning showed that some day he will make a great wrestler, but is not yet ready to cope with Daviscourt's size, science and lasting powers."

Wichita Eagle: April 20, 1925
NOTE: "Zbyszko undoubtedly let Munn beat him at Kansas City. Munn undoubtedly thought that Zbyszko would do the same thing at Philadelphia. Munn must have thought that or he wouldn't have wrestled the Pole. Did Zybszko actually "double cross" Munn or did the Pole beat Munn at the behest of Billy Sandow? Zbyszko has been in the wrestling trust. He may still be apart of Sandow's trust. However, the 'Old Man' may actually have wished to clean up the game and actually beat Munn for that reason. Jack Curley, former king of the wrestling game, manages Zbyszko's younger brother. Did Curley persuade 'Old' Zbyszko to beat Munn and then retire and hand over thetitle to 'Young' Zbyszko? Time will tell. If Zbyszko wrestles Lewis soon, that means that Billy Sandow still rules the wrestling world. If Zbyszko refuses to meet Lewis, it means that Sandow's trust has been broken, and perhaps another one formed."

Kansas City MO: April 21, 1925
Gabe Kaufman, manager of Wayne (Big) Munn, leaves here for Chicago to confer with Floyd Fitzsimmons, Michigan City IN promoter, in regard to the latter's offer to stage a Munn-Lewis bout on Decoration Day. Acceptance of the offer would depend upon advice of the physician who is attending Munn, Kaufman said. The former champion is recovering from an attack of influenza, with which he is said to have been suffering when he lost to Zbyszko. Fitzsimmons is referring to the proposed match as a championship affair, since Lewis still claims the title. He believes the referee made a mistake by not disqualifying Munn when the latter fouled Lewis in their January 8 Kansas City title match.

(Wichita Eagle, Tuesday, April 21, 1925)
Stanislaus Zbyszko, the "Old Man" of the wrestling game and heavyweight champion of the world, will wrestle in Wichita this season, states Tom Law. He has been dickering with the champion since Zbyszko dethroned Wayne Munn at Philadelphia last week and Zbyszko has agreed to come here on April 29 to wrestle on the next show. He will wrestle either Dick Daviscourt or Milo Steinborn, the weight lifting champion, who made such a big hit last week at the Forum.
(ED. NOTE: Zibby did not appear in Wichita that season, perhaps fearful that Daviscourt "long an associate of Strangler Lewis" would doublecross him and steal away the belt before the Pole could deliver it to the hands of Lewis' premier rival, Joe Stecher). That Zbyszko has definitely broken with the trust can be seen by his willingness to wrestle here. Incidently, Law, local promoter, will have the last laugh at the Sandow-Bauman trust. This trust, which controls Lewis, Pesek, Munn, Mondt, McGill and others, has refused Law matches this year and consequently there have been times when the local promoter felt out in the cold. Law is hoping to arrange a great match here later, between Santel and Zbyszko, or possibly Stecher and Zbyszko. (ED. NOTE: He settled for Stecher and Santel, the former winning easily in straight falls).

That Zbyszko slipped one over on Sandow can be told from the Philadelphia reports, concerning some happenings which as yet haven't been reported here. Perry Lewis, writing in the Philadelphia Inquirier in respect to the match, says: "It is a fact that after the first fall, Zbyszko remained in the ring and refused to leave. It is also a fact that several alleged representatives of Munn did climb in the ring and try to buzz the elderly Pole, who simply shook his head and declined to move." Among the other thousand and one rumors was one that, realizing after the first fall that Munn didn't have a chance to retain his title, his representatives tried to persuade the veteran to consent to a postponement. "Whether this rumor was true or whether it was false: the fact remains that Zbyszko declined flatly to leave that ring, but with compressed lips shook his head and glared at the floor. "Then, still surrounded by the police, he was hurried to a taxicab and slipped to his hotel. It was all very mysterious, and apparently uncalled for until one remembers that there was a rumor all over the place that the new champion had double-crossed the old, and that the victims of the play were out for revenge." Munn declined to receive visitors or make a statement after the disaster which had overtaken him. Closeted with his wife in his dressing room, he denied himself to visitors, word being sent out that he had fainted after reaching his dressing room.

(Wichita Eagle, Wednesday, April 22, 1925)
Dick Daviscourt and Henry Steinborn will meet on the next wrestling card here April 29, announced Tom Law, local promoter, last night. Stanislaus Zbyszko, world's champion, wired yesterday that he would be unable to come here for the April 29 show. He will probably come later, however, and may meet the winner of the Steinborn-Daviscourt match. Steinborn is the strong man who claims the world's weight lifting title. He will give an exhibition of this skill at Island Park today, preceding the Wichita-Des Moines (Western League baseball) game. Chief Wano, Wichitain fielder, will drive his five-passenger car over Steinborn's chest. The wrestler will give other feats of strength.

Baltimore MD: April 29, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Stanislaus Zbyszko* beat Hans Gojer.

(Wichita Eagle, Thursday, April 30, 1925)
Dick Daviscourt won from Milo Steinborn, the "Strong Man" wrestler, in straight falls at the Forum Wednesday night, taking the first in 49 minutes with a double wristlock and the second in 19 minutes with a headlock. Daviscourt's science proved superior over Steinborn's strength. The match was featured by a lot of lively exchanges, however. Earl Clemmings of Wichita, a protege of Ad Santel, won the semi-final, beating Link Decker of Enid in 23 minutes with a scissors in a fast match. The main event would have been a hummer if Steinborn had known just a little more about wrestling. The weightlifting champion was as strong as an ox, fast as a lightweight on his feet and tossed Daviscourt around with abandon. But he didn't know what to do with a hold when he got it. The "Flying Dutchman" stayed with Daviscourt more than an hour because of his great defensive ability and pure strength. Time and again he threw Daviscourt across the ring and out of the ropes and broke a toe hold by simply kicking out his massive leg. His only good hold was a headlock and that wasn't good enough to seriously worry Dick. Daviscourt tried the strong man stuff himself once when he picked up Steinborn and threw him heavily to the mat. Steinborn showed the fans some new stunts in bridging when he raised his head and body under Daviscourt's massive weight. Ed Mosely won a one-fall preliminary from Gearing of Hutchinson in 13 minutes. Ernie Lynn refereed the bouts.

Wichita KS: April 29, 1925
(Forum): Dick Daviscourt beat Milo Steinborn (as Henry Steinborn) (2-0); Earl Clemmings beat Link Decker; Ed Mosely beat Gearing - Referee: ErnieLynn, Promoter: Tom Law.

Boston MA: May 1, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Stanislaus Zbyszko* beat Orestes Vadalfi.

(Chicago Evening Post, May 1, 1925)
There is plenty of excitement for the most rabid wrestling fans these days. First there is the professional debut of Jim McMillen, former University of Illinois athlete, on the mat at the Star and Garter tonight against Paul Martinson. Both Stan Zbyszko and Joe Stecher will be on the bill at the Coliseum on Monday night, but not against each other. The old man meets George Kotsonaros, while Stecher meets Frank Judson. In the meantime, the men in charge of getting the Michigan City arena ready for the return match between Ed Lewis and Big Wayne Munn declare that a force of carpenters will be started next week to get the sky-blue arena in shape for the May 30 event. Reservations for the show continue to come in to Tom McWilliams, unofficial stakeholder, at the Morrison Hotel. Heine Engle, who is to take a whirl at the middleweight mat title at the Broadway Armory next Wednesday night, will be in Chicago to complete his training at the Mullen loop gym.

Chicago IL: May 4, 1925
(WORLD TITLE): Stanislaus Zbyszko beat George Kotsonaros (2-0) - NOTE: Zibby took falls in 37:00 & 9:50.

Wichita KS: July 1, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Joe Stecher* beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1).

Nashville TN: July 3, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Joe Stecher* beat Jim Browning (2-0)...NOTE: Stecher won first fall in 40:28 and second in 13:23, both with body scissors and head hold.

Dewey OK: July 4, 1925 (morning)
Wayne (Big) Munn beat Pat McGill (2-0)...NOTE: Munn won falls in 15 minutes and 10 minutes, respectively.

Okmulgee OK: July 4, 1925 (afternoon)
Wayne (Big) Munn beat George Nelson (2-0)...NOTE: The times of the falls were five and two minutes, respectively.

Okmulgee OK: July 5, 1925
Wayne Munn beat George Nelson.

(The Oregonian, Portland OR, Tuesday, July 7, 1925)
Both principals in the wrestling match for the light heavyweight championship of the world, an event of tomorrow night at the Heilig theater, finished training yesterday and said they were in well-nigh perfect condition for the fast and bruising mat tangle. Though Sailor Jack Wood, the challenger, declared in unequivocal terms that he will tear the title out of the hands of Ted Thye, the champion merely smiled at such a possibility. Thye is well aware that Wood may be much better than his previous appearance here would indicate, and while he expects the bout to stretch over a long two hours, is quite confident his famous wristlock will prevail in the long run. The Texas gob has been perfecting a defense for that same wristlock, not only in hard daily practice, but in every bout in which he has been a contestant on a local stage. "Thye will find me an elusive person to clamp that terrible hold of his on," said Wood, "and he will have to be a good deal stronger than I think he is if he keeps a hold like that even if he does get it long enough to put my shoulders to the mat. I wrestled Clarence Eklund, the great middle west wrestler, who also relies mainly on the punishing wristlock, and I stayed on the mat one hour and a half without being thrown by him. If Eklund couldn't make the hold work, Idon't believe Thye will have a chance to." Wood has lost two decisions here to Billy Edwards, but has improved greatly since then, according to reports, and has beaten Joe Reynolds at Monroe, Farmer Vance at Astoria, Abe Caplan at Newberg and Frank Pilling and Cowboy Ray here in the past few weeks. These wrestlers, of course, do not class with Thye, but they are all heavy, rough and tough, and gave Wood excellent practice for his championship match with Thye.

(The Oregonian, Portland OR, July 9, 1925)
Ted Thye defeated Sailor Jack Wood in two straight falls in their wrestling match at the Heilig theater last night. The Portland man handled his opponent pretty much as he pleased and, despite the fact that Wood tried everything in the wrestling book, including a few rough-house tactics, he didn't appear to have a chance at any stage of the match. Wood boasted before the match that he did not fear Thye's wristlock and that he had a successful block for the hold, but he overlooked the fact that the Multnomah Club instructor knows a few holds besides his famous wrist grip. At that Thye was able to secure several wristlocks but Wood broke them all, not by any clever wrestling tactics, but by sheer brute strength. When Thye pinned Wood for the first fall it was with an arm scissors which proved just as effective and painful as the wristlocks. The fall came at the end of 45 minutes 47 seconds. Wood's shoulders were not plastered to the canvas but after struggling against the grip for several seconds he acknowledged defeat by pounding the mat. After the usual 10-minute intermission and an extra five-minute rest which Wood asked for, it was announced that the ex-gob from Texas had suffered an injury to his shoulder as a result of struggling against the arm scissors hold but that against the advice of his doctor he was going to continue the match. They clashed for the second fall with Wood putting up a game exhibition for a man who was supposed to have all but lost an arm in the first period. He roughed Thye around the ring for five minutes, but just as George Adams, timekeeper, called the first five-minute period Thye took Wood to the mat with a wristlock which he switched to a hammerlock and pinned the Texas grappler to the floor for the second and deciding fall. Louis Pergandas won a one-fall victory over Frank Miller in the special event. The fall came at the end of 19 minutes 45 seconds.

Portland OR: July 8, 1925
(Heilig Theater): Ted Thye beat Sailor Jack Wood (2-0); Louis Pergandas beat Frank Miller.

Spokane WA: July 8, 1925
(S.A.A.C. Gymnasium, att. 1,000): Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Leo L'Hereux; Young Sampson beat Mel Porter; C.C. Miller beat Ted Brown. Referees: Dr. Charles Olson, Lloyd Williams.

Columbus OH: July 9, 1925
(WORLD TITLE) Joe Stecher* beat George Kotsonaros (2-0); Clete Kauffman beat Strangler Lawrence.

Chicago IL: November 16, 1925
(Dreamland Arena): Stanley Stasiak beat Joe Zickmund; Leon Labriola beat Scotty McDougal; William Demetral beat Carl Zoll; Fred Meyers beat Andre Anderson. Promoter: Paddy Harmon - NOTE: Arena was at Van Buren & Paulina Streets.

Chicago IL: November 18, 1925
(Broadway Armory): Charles (Midget) Fischer beat Heinie Engel (2-0); Tony Hajdick drew Eddie Pope; George Peters beat Steve Smith; Walter Evans beat Cyclone Bill Flodine.


(By James Crusinberry, Chicago Tribune, January 2, 1926)
After discussing psychology, social welfare work, medicine and surgery, the Boy Scout movement, obstetrics and Americans' great fault in being poor losers, Mr. Wayne Munn stepped over the ropes in the arena of the Broadway Armory last night and flopped Mr. Pat McGill in two straight falls. Both were obtained by means of his famous crotch and half nelson hold, with which he slams his opponents to the mat. There also was a bit of psychology in each, though it wasn't visible to the referee. "I like to study psychology and practice it," said the giant Nebraskan before the match took place. The interview was so long that the writer contracted a stiff neck trying to look Mr. Munn in the eye. Any man of ordinary stature should stand on a chair to interview Mr. Munn. And after the big fellow got into his tussle with Mcgill I saw what he meant by liking to practice psychology. He tugged and pulled at McGill and threw him out of the ring a couple of times, but couldn't get him into a position to fasten on the crotch hold. He had a scheme in his mind all the time, and just at the proper time pulled it and the fall was obtained in about three seconds. He knew McGill was Irish and, of course, quick tempered. So he slapped him right in the face. No one can slap an Irishman in the face without something happening. Mr.McGill blazed up all red around his neck and flew at Mr. Munn, which was exactly what Mr. Munn wanted. He grabbed him with the well known crotch hold and half nelson, picked him up high, and slammed him down on his back. McGill stayed there. The time was something over thirty minutes. When they came back for the second fall only four and a half minutes was needed to turn the trick again. "I haven't my mind on wrestling tonight," Munn said before the match. "You see, we had a baby girl born this week and I can't think of anything else. You ought to see her. The doctor in Kansas City said she was a wonder. Weighed 11 pounds 5 ounces and was twenty-four and a half inches long. The average is about eighteen inches." "Are you going to be a boxer or continue as a wrestler?" "Just whatever Mr. White, my manager, wants," was the answer. "Of course, I realize I don't know much about fighting and naturally I took one on the chin in my first match. But that's all right - I learned something. The big trouble with Americans is that they are not good losers. If I can't win in boxing or wrestling, I hope at least I shall be a good loser. That is something that should be taught to the boys who are growing up. I have started a movement in Kansas City with that end in view, but right away alot of folks said I was looking for publicity." In the ring, Mr. Munn, who towers about 6 feet 6 inches and weighs nearly 250 pounds, is fearless of his opponent. He ignores all attempts of his rival to pin him. If his rival gets a head lock, Mr. Munn tosses his head after the manner of a bull horning a dog and the adversary is hurled across the canvas and perhaps clear out into the laps of the people. If the adversary fastens on a double wrist lock or something, Mr. Munn looks at him in pity and then pulls loose like some one pulling his hand out of a basket. If the toe hold is put on him, he simply straightens out his leg and pushes the fellow away as if he were a playful kitten. Four other matches of one fall each were staged at the show, the surprise coming when Tony Hajdick beat champion Johnny Meyers of the middleweight class. He won with a step over toe hold in 24 minutes 28 seconds but he doesn't get the title as it was a one-fall match. Frank Le Mark and Benny Ginsberg went thirty minutes to a draw. Midget Fischer beat Cyclone Flodine in 17:10 and Hans Bauer of Germany won from Nick Gotch in 28:30. About 3,000 attended the show.

Chicago IL: January 1, 1926
(Broadway Armory, att. 3,000): Wayne (Big) Munn beat Pat McGill (2-0); Tony Hajdick beat Johnny Meyers (24:28); Frank LeMark drew Benny Ginsberg; Charles (Midget) Fischer beat Cyclone Flodine; Hans Bauer beat Nick Gotch.

Chicago IL: February 22, 1926
(Coliseum, att. 3,000): Hans Steinke beat Frank Judson (2-1); John Freberg beat Paul Martinson; Giuseppe Massetti beat George Vassell (sub for Dan Koloff); Stanislaus Zbyszko vs Charles Leppanen (billed, but no result).

St. Louis MO: February 24, 1926
John Pesek beat Stanislaus Zbyszko (2-1).

(By Walter Eckersall, Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1926)
Ed Lewis, the world's heavyweight champion, defeated Stanley Stasiak, Polish champion, two out of three falls in the windup of the wrestling show staged by P.T. Harmon at Dexter Park pavilion in the stock yards last night. The champion won the first fall in 15:50 with a head lock, while the Pole was the victor in the second with a body scissors and arm lock in 29:40. Lewis took the third and deciding fall in 12:30 with a body hold followed by a head lock. Champion and challenger started to mix matters from the tap of the bell. Lewis put on a head lock within a minute, but the Pole shook it off. Shortly after they had been on the mat it was seen the fall would not last long. Hold after hold was put on with punishing effect until twelve minutes had been called. At this point Stasiak clamped on a double wrist lock from a standing position and then shifted to a short arm scissors. Lewis broke the hold after a great effort and they went to their feet. Lewis then put on a head lock and brought the Pole to the mat. Stasiak broke it and when they got to their feet, the challenger knocked Lewis down with a right swing to the jaw. Quick as a flash, Lewis regained his feet, put on another head lock and threw the Pole with terrific force. Lewis held the lock to win the fall. In the second fall Stasiak weakened Lewis with a head lock which he held for three minutes. The Pole went after Lewis relentlessly and after tossing him to the mat with headlocks shifted to body scissors and arm holds. Lewis succumbed to the fifth. Lewis had to wrestle all the time in the third and deciding fall, as Stasiak did most of the rushing. Stasiak put on arm locks, the stopper hold and the body scissors many times. It was one of these latter grips which enabled Lewis to win. In releasing himself, Lewis turned and lifted Stasiak from the mat high into the air with a body hold and sent him crashing to the mat. He then shifted to the head lock to pin the Pole. Throughout the contest Lewis' brain work proved the deciding factor. Toots Mondt put up a splendid bout against the ponderous Raffaelle Grenna, and held him to a draw for 39:45. If either had an edge it was Mondt. In the opening bouts Mike Romano and Jack Washburn wrestled 30:00 to a draw and Richard Schikat tossed Tony Felice in the other preliminary in 13:45 with an underneath wrist lock. A crowd of 9,000 persons paid about $18,000 to see the show. The 6,700 seats were occupied and the remainder stood.

Chicago IL: March 1, 1926
(Dexter Park Pavilion, att. 9,000, $18,000): Ed (Strangler) Lewis beat Stanley Stasiak (2-1); Joe (Toots) Mondt drew Raffaelle Grenna; Mike Romano drew Jack Washburn; Richard (Dick) Schikat beat Tony Felice - Promoter: P.T. (Paddy) Harmon. NOTE: The promotion noted that the Pavilion's 6,700 seats were filled, with the rest of the customers standing.

(By Morrow Krum, Chicago Tribune, March 2, 1926)
Joseph Stecher, who persistently claims the world's heavyweight wrestling title, met Renato Gardini on the mat at the Coliseum last night. Stecher won, but many of Gardini's countrymen seemed satisfied with the show. Gardini got the first fall, which may or may not have been according to schedule, in 12:41 by a vigorous application of a body scissors, Stecher's own pet grip. Then, after the usual intermission, Stecher laid the Italian low twice, once in 24:44 and again in 12:31. Both of these falls were accomplished by the body scissors. During the match, Gardini, who was subbing for George Calza (who was tied up in Philadelphia with cryzipelas, which is a terrible thing for a wrestler to have), slapped Stecher's face occasionally and many times crawled to the safety of the ropes when Stecher started to apply his shears. In the early bouts Stanislaus Zbyszko, who isn't as young as he used to be, threw Joe Zickmund in 23:55 minutes by a flying mare. Zbyszko's ear was bleeding when it was over. Charles Leppanen and Hans Steinke wrestled a 15-minute draw. Giuseppe Massetti threw John Marshall with a flying mare in 2:30 minutes. Fred Meyers and James Browning wrestled half an hour without results. The Coliseum held 1,500 persons, but some left early after it was announced that Calza was ill.

Chicago IL: March 1, 1926
(Coliseum, att. 1,500): (WORLD TITLE) Joe Stecher* beat Renato Gardini (sub for George Calza) (2-1); Stanislaus Zbyszko beat Joe Zikmund (23:55); Charles Leppanen drew Hans Steinke; Giuseppe Massetti beat John Marshall; Fred Meyers drew Jim Browning.

Chicago IL: March 5, 1926
(Star & Garter): Giuseppe Massetti vs Joe Zigmund; John Freberg vs Jack Linow.

Kansas City MO: March 6, 1926
Billy Sandow announces he has taken over management of Joe (Toots) Mondt from the latter's brother, Ralph Mondt; the wrestler's contract is said to still have three years to run.

Chicago IL: March 8, 1926
(Bdwy Armory, att. 4,000, $6,500): Johnny Meyers beat Tony Hadjick (2-1); Lou Talaber beat George Peters; Joe Parelli drew Lee Humbles; Jimmy Logas beat Pete Katousky. NOTE: Meyers was to defend a version of the worldmiddleweight title, but didn't make the 160-pound weight, thus forfeiting $150. Humbles was described as "colored".

Chicago IL: March 9, 1926
(North Side Turner Hall): Hans Steinke, Giuseppe Massetti, John Freberg and Charles Leppanen booked.

Chicago IL: March 12, 1926
(Star & Garter): John Freberg vs George Vassell; Waino Ketonen vs Cyclone Olson; Fred Meyers vs Paul Martinson.

Chicago IL: March 15, 1926
(Coliseum): Joe Stecher vs George Calza; Hans Steinke vs Wladek Zbyszko.

Chicago IL: March 17, 1926
(Dreamland): Joe (Toots) Mondt vs Raffaelle Grenna; Pat McGill vs John Wilcox (later Firpo Wilcox) - NOTE: Wilcox is described as a full-blooded Indian who played football at the University of Oklahoma.


Chicago IL: February 28, 1927
(Coliseum, att. 5,000, $10,000): (WORLD TITLE) Ed (Strangler) Lewis* beat Mike Romano (2-1); Joe Malcewicz beat Karl Sarpolis (27:58); Marin Plestina beat Scotty McDougall; Jim McMillen beat Frank (Tuffy) Ojile.

Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news from this site or from our newsletters, please include a link to www.f4wonline.com as opposed to "From F4W", "From Figure Four Weekly" or derivatives. Thank you!

For the most in-depth and detailed news and analysis on pro-wrestling and MMA, always turn to Figure Four Weekly Online! Become a member of F4Wonline.com and get the absolute latest insider news and commentary from WWE, TNA, UFC, PRIDE, CMLL, AAA, ROH, K-1, all the wrestling and MMA independents, Japan, and so much more, all for as little as $1.44 per week. Members get access to the COMPLETE radio show archives dating back to 2005 (Figure Four Daily, The Bryan & Vinny Show, Mike Coughlin's Five Star Radio, the Dr. Keith Lipinski Show, and The Adam & Mike Big Audio Nightmare), the Figure Four Weekly newsletter archive (260+ issues from the past five years), the entire Dragon King Wrestling History Archive, and complete access to every news article and column ever posted on the site. For your convenience, we offer secure online payments using your VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Discover card or PayPal account. Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!

Want full access within one minute? QUICK AND EASY $7.99 PAYPAL SIGN-UP!

Who is the strongest of these Hall of Fame candidates?


What do you believe is the second most popular promotion right now in the U.S?