Saturday, 01 February 2014 20:40
- The UFC announced that 185-pound champion Chris Weidman will defend his title against No. 1 contender Vitor Belfort on May 24th in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Wanderlei Silva vs. Chael Sonnen will also be on that show.
- Abel Trujillo vs. Jamie Varner won Fight Of The Night, and Trujillo won Knockout of the Night. Bonuses were $75k each, so Trujillo took home $150,000 in extra money. There were no submissions on the card, which featured 10 decisions -- a UFC record.
- Attendance was 14,308 in the Prudential Center for a $1.651 million live gate. By comparison, UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen in April 2013 drew 15,227 for a gate of $2.7 million.
- In the post-fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was very open to Jose Aldo vs. Anthony Pettis for the 155-pound title. Aldo said he was for it. If that happened, he would vacate the featherweight title, but could compete as a challenger for it if he decided to drop back down after a potential loss to Pettis.
Pettis called White during the presser and said he'll fight Aldo. However, it will be up to the doctors as to when that fight could happen due to Pettis' knee injury.
- White said Herb Dean is a great ref, but made a mistake in stopping the Urijah Faber/Renan Barao fight in the first round.
- White said that they have no deal with Brock Lesnar, and that he's not coming back "anytime soon". Alistair Overeem called Lesnar out post-fight, but didn't really have a rationale for doing so.
More on this during tonight's post-UFC Wrestling Observer Radio.
- Dave Meltzer & Josh Nason