Wednesday, 05 March 2008 05:04
- Raw did a 3.5 Monday. Randy Orton will be in charge of the show as storyline GM this coming Monday and HHH the week after.
- Cage Rage 25 from London with Ken Shamrock vs. Buzz Berry airs this Saturday on Showtime following Showtime Championship Boxing. What a weekend this is turning into. There is this show, the debut of the newest ROH PPV (more later), the usual TNA, ECW and Smackdown TV shows, plus TNA's latest PPV on Sunday. And I'm wrestling Sunday night at the Boys & Girls Club in Tulalip, WA.
- Ryan McGivern, who beat Matt Horwich to win the IFL Middleweight Title in Vegas this past weekend, is our guest on Figure Four Daily this afternoon.
- IFL announced today that Throwdown Industries have signed a multi-year deal with them to serve as “The Official Energy Drink, Fight Gloves and Ring" for the league.
- As noted in last night's new Figure Four Weekly, Mauricio Shogun Rua blew out his knee and so his proposed June 7th match with Chuck Liddell is off.
- The Bodog St. Petersburg DVD is now available and can be picked up here.
- Even though the Valor Fighting show in San Diego on January 12th was canceled, several guys were still drug tested and three of them, Carlos Fuentes, Kyacey Uscola, and Gustavo Machado, all failed for Nandrolone. The CSAC tested each sample either four or five times at both Quest Diagnostics and a different laboratory, and there was no difference in any of the tests. This was all done to prove a point, by the way. Everyone was fined 1 year and $2,500.
- Our Past Guests link is now up to date through February 2008. You can access it by clicking here. Every single one of these shows is available right now for subscribers in our archive!
- World Victory Road results from yesterday courtesy the Fight Network:
World Victory Road “Sengoku”
Wednesday, March 5
Yoyogi National Stadium
Josh Barnett def. Hidehiko Yoshida – Tapout (Heel Hook) 3:23 R3
Takanori Gomi def. Duane Ludwig – TKO (Doctor Stoppage – Cut) 2:28 R1
Kazuo Misaki def. Siyar Bahadurzada – Tapout (Guillotine Choke) 2:02 R2
Kazuyuki Fujita def. Peter Graham – Tapout (North-South Choke) 1:23 R1
Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos def. Makoto Takimoto – Tapout (Heel Hook) 4:51 R1
Ryo Kawamura def. Antonio Braga Neto – Unanimous Decision
Nick Thompson def. Fabricio Monteiro – Unanimous Decision
- Lucha from the past few days courtesy Kris Zellner:
March 2 – Arena Coliseo de Guadalajara
1. Golden & Thunder Boy beat Milenio & Valentin Mayo
2. Guero Loco & Impostor defeated Idolo & Virgo
3. Exterminador & Infierno & Super Maquina beat Casanova & Magnum & Metal Blanco
4. El Gallo & Leon Blanco & Metalik defeated Malefico & Mascara Magica & Toxico
5. Grey Shadow & Mistico beat Los Sicarios del Infierno (Averno & Mephisto)
February 28 – Arena Naucalpan
1. Bacteria beat Semental
2. Chico Che & Soberano defeated Las Traumas I y II
3. Hijo del Pierroth & Mr. Matanza & Veneno beat Fantasma de la Opera & Freelance & Miss Gaviota
4. Hijo del Cien Caras & Mascara Ano Dos Mil Jr. & Septiembre Negro II defeated Fantasma & Hijo del Anibal & Ultraman Jr.
5. IWRG Intercontinental Welterweight Title: Black Terry beat Multifacetico to retain his title.
March 1 – Poliforum Mesoamericano de Tuxtla Gutierrez
1. Black Centella & Mr. Calaca beat Cazador Negro & Halcon Relampago
2. El Divino & Murcy Jr. defeated Montecristo & El Terrorista
3. Astrito Maya & Black Taurus & Mascarita Dorada beat Pequeno Damian 666 & Sangre de Aguila & Shocky
4. Bugambilla & Granda Man & Parachico defeated Capitan Furia & Dr. Salvaje & Fuego Nuevo
5. Loco Max & Psicopata & Ultimo Guerrero beat Blue Demon Jr. & Misterio Maya & Ultimo Dragon
- Susan Moss, the Woman With the Mouth from Nancy Grace, was named to the 2008 Crain's New York Business Top 40 Under 40 List, which is pretty prestigious.
- From ROH: ROH "Rising Above" will debut this Friday, March 7th, on iN DEMAND, The DISH Network and TVN cable systems. ROH's booker & PPV producer Gabe Sapolsky calls this the "best ROH PPV yet" and states that the Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries World Title Match is "the best match we've ever put on pay-per-view." You can watch a free 10 minute preview and the first teaser at www.ROHvideos.com or on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/ringofhonor now!!! Look for more teasers to be released today.
ROH World Title Match
Nigel McGuinness vs. Austin Aries
ROH World Tag Team Title 2/3 Falls Match
Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Rocky Romero & Roderick Strong
Bryan Danielson vs. Takeshi Morishima
Grudge Match #1
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Chris Hero with Larry Sweeney
Grudge Match #2
Erick Stevens vs. Davey Richards
Three-Way Women's Match
Sara Del Rey vs. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze
Tag Team Scramble
Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Jack Evans & Ruckus vs. Adam Pearce & BJ Whitmer
Grudge Match #3
Delirious vs. Brent Albright
- TNA runs Spencer, IA on April 4th and Lincoln, NE on April 5th. Tickets are on sale Friday at Ticketmaster and TNAwrestling.com.
- Eugene Wong writes: This may already have been pointed out to you but I got a kick out of it....go to Amazon.com and do a search in the DVD section for the following search term: TBD Superstar Profile DVD (From Class of '08 Hall of Fame). Guess someone in WWE's merchandising department sent that to Amazon as a placeholder for a future DVD and never got round to updating it...hope nobody's actually buying this...
- The Great Mike Sempervive writes: There's an ad in the New York Daily News today for Maria's appearance at the Hawaiian Tropic Zone at 729 7th Ave. @ 49th street on Wednesday, March 5 from 6:00-7:30 where you can receive a FREE~! signed copy of Playboy - while supplies last.
- IFL is now available in over 300 million homes worldwide after signing a deal with Malaysia TV.
- A look at the worst show I have ever attended live headlines the new 24,000-word Figure Four Weekly newsletter! Last week we wrote about what worked with Kimbo vs. Tank, and this week we'll talk about what didn't work with Bob Sapp. There are some important things to learn from both shows and we'll talk about them in depth here, plus provide a full rundown and analysis of the Strikeforce show from the Tacoma Dome. We'll also talk about how they broke records and what the good news and bad news is. That is hardly the only major story of the week. We've got a big story on WWE finances, and how in the year Chris Benoit went mad WWE not only survived but thrived, shattering their previous record for best year ever. We'll discuss all the PPVs, which shows did better and worse, what the biggest profit generators were, what TNA could learn from this about how they should and should not be promoting like WWE, how WWE Films is doing, International business this year as compared to last, how important it is for WWE to draw ratings as opposed to TNA, and tons more! We also have the complete text of a letter that Chris Benoit sent me shortly after Eddy Guerrero's death, which is a fascinating and disturbing historical look into the mind of a future killer. In WWE news we have all the latest on the WWE/MyNetworkTV deal for Smackdown that starts this fall, including what the options were, when the show might air, what we know for sure about the format, a possible battle with TNA, and more. Also, Shane McMahon has upped his presence and why, Mayweather's supposed $20 million fee for Mania, how many buys that actually equals, what the payoff probably consists of, details of the Mayweather press conference, a near riot, how it was edited for TV and what that means, Big Show's reaction, where he'll be heading, mainstream Mayweather discussion, Hall of Fame notes, Cena's newest film, a change in Georgia regarding drugs that stems from the Benoit situation, more on pills, ECW star signed and how it came about, more on Roadkill, how Orlando got WrestleMania and whether it will rain, notes on the Raw rating last week, Lindsay Lohan visits WWE, WWE offering more dividends, Heyman talks Benoit, and more. In TNA news, more on the possibility of going live WrestleMania weekend with a quote from Spike, TNA house show news and notes, former TNA girl makes network TV, Lockdown update, Impact ratings, Motor City Machine Guns to ROH and how that came about, Angle on MMA training, and more. In MMA news, we have notes on Brock Lesnar's possible next opponent and his record, Crocop talks a return to UFC, Silva's next fight and the possibility of him dropping down to 185, TUF star faces felony charges and what happened, Yahoo to stream PPVs and what the deal means for all sides, more on the Zuffa/HDNet lawsuit, fighter bio makes NY Times list, drug test failures in California, local MMA fighter dies after training, Bob Sapp talks WWE and what they wanted him to do, why he's happy he didn't sign, MMA in France upcoming, and more. In other wrestling news, an indy wrestler is dead, Mexican journalist is down on NWA Mexico, another study regarding teen wrestling fans and violent behavior, more on the Nick Hogan case, Yuji Nagata health update, all the notes on a major sex scandal in Big Japan, CMLL big shows for the foreseeable future, notes on all the ROH shows this weekend plus tons of thoughts on the "rape angle" with Larry Sweeney, Bobby Dempsey and Allison Danger. Vinny also has a review of the WSX First Season box set~! The weekly newsletter, the online version of which members can read every Tuesday (we also have a hardcopy available for a few dollars more per month), has been covering all the news in the world of pro-wrestling and MMA since 1995. It is by far the biggest weekly newsletter available on the Internet (probably on any subject), and we go into far more depth on every story than any other news source you will find anywhere online. Of course, we also have full reviews of every major TV show including Raw, Smackdown, TNA, ECW, Derby City Wrestling, and Human Weapon. Of course, as a member you also get full access to ALL new and archived radio shows dating back to 2005, plus all the new and archived (320-plus issues) Figure Four Weekly newsletters dating back to 2001. To sign up, please click here, or PayPal users can use the Quick Buy link at the top of this page to be online within 60 seconds. Rates start at just $7.99 per month (27 cents a DAY), so it's a steal. Thanks for your support!
- Our latest FREE radio show, the March 4 Bryan & Vinny Show, can be downloaded here.
- My newest Fight Network column is here with a look at Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair and how to book their WrestleMania match. If you like the columns, they're about 1/25th the length of each issue of Figure Four Weekly, and we've got 300 back issues archived from 2002-today, all available 24/7 with an online membership to this site. See below for more info and ordering details.
- Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news from this site or from our newsletters, please include a link to www.f4wonline.com as opposed to "From F4W", "From Figure Four Weekly" or derivatives. Thank you!
For the most in-depth and detailed news and analysis on pro-wrestling and MMA, always turn to Figure Four Weekly Online! Become a member of F4Wonline.com and get the absolute latest insider news and commentary from WWE, TNA, UFC, PRIDE, CMLL, AAA, ROH, K-1, all the wrestling and MMA independents, Japan, and so much more, all for as little as $1.44 per week. Members get access to the COMPLETE radio show archives dating back to 2005 (Figure Four Daily, The Bryan & Vinny Show, Mike Coughlin's Five Star Radio, the Dr. Keith Lipinski Show, and The Adam & Mike Big Audio Nightmare), the Figure Four Weekly newsletter archive (260+ issues from the past five years), the entire Dragon King Wrestling History Archive, and complete access to every news article and column ever posted on the site. For your convenience, we offer secure online payments using your VISA, Mastercard, American Express, Discover card or PayPal account. Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!
Want full access within one minute? QUICK AND EASY $7.99 PAYPAL SIGN-UP!