KENTA bids farewell to Pro Wrestling NOAH
Saturday, 17 May 2014 08:48
Here's a breakdown of the May 17 Kenta farewell to Pro Wrestling Noah show at Korakuen hall. The show was completely sold out in advance although the seats didn't really fill in until the third match or so.
1. Mitsuhiro Kitamiya beat Hitoshi Kumano in about 7 minutes via submission to a type of shoulder lock. Fine opener with the crowd hoping for but not getting a Kumano upset win. **
2. Daisuke Ikeda (subbing for Yoshinari Ogawa who missed the show) beat Hajime Ohara in about 7 minutes after doing the Daniel Bryan "yes" chant and then hitting a lariat. He chanted "yes" about 4 times while pointing both fingers up to the sky but nobody in the crowd did it with him. Last minute was good. ** 1/4
3. Quiet Storm pinned Daisuke Harada in a 3-way match that also included Zack Sabre Jr. in about 12 minutes after a good looking lariat. Haste and Harada looked good and Storm was also in the ring. ** 1/2
4. Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste beat Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Kotoge in about 12 minutes. Ishimori was pinned after a double-team spike DDT type of move which I believe they call the Tank Buster. Very good match. *** 1/4
5. Takeshi Morishima, Maybach Taniguchi & Kenou beat Masato Tanaka, Yoshihiro Takayama & Genba Hirayanagi when Morishima pinned Hirayanagi after a backdrop in just under 15 minutes. Very entertaining at times, and weak in a few spots. ***
6. Naomichi Marufuji & Kenta beat Takashi Sugiura & Katsuhiko Nakajima in Kenta's final match with NOAH when Kenta pinned Nakajima in about 29 minutes after a Go 2 Sleep. Fantastic, hard-hitting match. Kenta went out with a bang. No post-match speech but he waved goodbye and bowed to all 4 sides of the ring while the place want crazy. Definitely worth seeing. **** 1/2
7. Yuji Nagata beat Mohamed Yone with his Back Suplex Hold in about 26 minutes to retain the GHC Heavyweight belt. Another fantastic match with the crowd going crazy and popping for every near fall during the last 10 minutes. **** 1/4
After the main event, while Nagata did his awesome dance, Marufuji came out and challenged him for the belt and he accepted.
Kenta was doing commentary during the final match. After the show ended and many fans left and they were taking the ring down, the crowd went wild chanting Kenta's name and he got back in the ring for one final round of bows.
The last 2 matches were excellent and worth going out of your way to see. The 2 prior matches were good as well. Great show.
Andrew "southern_style" Kessler
Send us a news tip: email@example.com
Note to webmasters/reporters:
When recapping news from this site or from our newsletters, please include a link to www.wrestlingobserver.com
For the most in-depth and detailed news and analysis on pro-wrestling and MMA, always turn to Wrestlingobserver.com/Figure Four Weekly Online, the #1 website of its kind on the Internet.
Members receive online access to both the Wrestling Observer and Figure Four Weekly newsletters and growing archives, Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer three times per week,
the popular Bryan and Vinny Show three times per week, additional radio shows including Figure Four Daily with Alvarez, Mike Coughlin's Five Star Radio, the Dr.
Keith Lipinski Show, The Adam and Mike Big Audio Nightmare, Tough Talk and the Karl Stern Wrestling History Show, the infamous BOARD, and more! Members also have full
access to the thousands of hours of audio in our radio show archives which date back to 2005. For your convenience, we offer secure online payments using your VISA, Mastercard,
American Express, Discover card or PayPal account. Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!
Don't miss out on the fun, sign up now!
Want full access? QUICK AND EASY SIGN-UP, AS LOW AS $9.99 PER MONTH!