Sunday, 13 April 2014 16:17
'WWE Vintage’ TV Report #305 – April 6th, 2014
Shown on Sky Sports in the U.K.
By Stephen Lyon.
This week's theme: The build up to the Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho match at Wrestlemania 19. Featuring: Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho (WWE Wrestlemania 19 ppv, March 2003); Shawn Michaels & Jeff Hardy vs Chris Jericho & Christian (WWE Raw, February 2003); Chris Jericho vs Kane vs Batista vs Rob Van Dam in an over-the-top-rope challenge match (WWE Raw, January 2003); plus all the angles, including clips from the 2003 Royal Rumble match.
Show was hosted by Gene Okerlund & Renee Young.
A Chris Jericho interview segment from the January 6th, 2003 edition of WWE Raw aired. Jericho stated his dream was to main event the upcoming Wrestlemania 19 and regain his World Heavyweight title. He announced he was entering the Royal Rumble match. Shawn Michaels came out and announced he was the number one entrant in the Rumble match, and that if Jericho wanted to be 'the man', he had to go through him.
1) Chris Jericho defeated Kane, Rob Van Dam and Batista to win an over-the-top-rope challenge match. This match aired on the January 13th, 2003 live edition of 'WWE Raw', taped in Uncasville, Connecticut. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. This was a short match that saw Kane and Batista eliminated in short order, with Batista then crotching RVD on the ropes, allowing Jericho to eliminate RVD to win the match. As a result of the win, Jericho had the choice of which Rumble entrant number to choose. Instead of choosing number 30, he chose number 2 so that he could face off with Michaels at the Rumble and meet his challenge. Michaels ran out, the two brawled and Michaels tossed Jericho over the top rope to the outside.
A clip aired from the 2003 Royal Rumble match. Michaels came out first. Christian provided a distraction, pretending to do Jericho's entrance, allowing Jericho to viciously attack Michaels from behind. Jericho nailed Michaels with a chairshot straight to the head, busting him open. Jericho then eliminated Michaels, as the number 3 entrant came out - ironically, Chris Nowinski.
Later in the match, with the ring full of guys, Michaels ran out, all bandaged up, and attacked Jericho. Test eliminated Jericho, leading to Michaels doing a dive on to Jericho on the outside.
A clip aired of Chris Jericho beating Jeff Hardy at the WWE No Way Out 2003 ppv. Michaels again ran out and attacked Jericho, also superkicking Christian.
2) Shawn Michaels & Jeff Hardy defeated Chris Jericho & Christian. This match aired on the February 17th, 2003 live edition of 'WWE Raw', taped in Columbus, Ohio. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. Jericho & Christian attacked Michaels before the match, handcuffing Michaels to the bottom rope, whilst they then worked over Hardy. Jericho taunted Michaels, leading to Michaels superkicking him, then retrieving the key and releasing himself. Hardy made the hot tag to Michaels, who then entered and cleaned house. Michaels superkicked a chair into Jericho's face, leading to Hardy scoring the pinfall win after a swanton on to Jericho.
Clips of a series of angles aired, first from the March 3rd, 2003 edition of WWE Raw, where Jericho bloodied Michaels with another chairshot, and challenged him to a match at Wrestlemania 19. The following week's March 10th, 2003 edition of WWE Raw saw Michaels superkick Jericho and accept his Wrestlemania 19 challenge.
The March 24th, 2003 edition of WWE Raw saw a Jericho & Michaels interview segment, in which Jericho used a series of video clips and still photos, comparing himself in his youth with a younger Shawn Michaels, in an attempt to illustrate how Jericho had patterned himself after Michaels in his early days. Jericho stated that he once wanted to be the next Shawn Michaels, but now wanted to just be the first Christ Jericho. Interesting here is that Jericho reeled off a list of named he had beaten here, and the name 'Benoit' was sound muted. Jericho vowed to beat Michaels and slapped him. Michaels smiled, and slapped him back.
3) Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho. This match took place at the 'WWE Wrestlemania 19' pay-per-view event, held in Seattle, Washington on March 30th, 2003. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. A 6 minute edited version of the match aired here. Highlights of the match saw the pair score nearfalls on each other, with Michaels connecting with a top rope elbow drop. Michaels missed with sweet chin music, leading to Jericho locking on the Walls of Jericho. Michaels managed to grab the ropes to break the hold, then moments later, superkicked Jericho. Michaels pinned Jericho, but Jericho kicked out. Michaels won the match, pinning Jericho after a backslide. Afterwards, the pair embraced, only for Jericho to lowblow Michaels.
Closing thoughts: Good show, with a very good main event.
Quick plug: If you enjoy my weekly 'WWE Vintage Collection' tv columns such as this, then you may like to check out the latest issue of 'Fighting Spirit Magazine' (Issue 104, with The Undertaker on the cover. The critically-acclaimed magazine features all new regular columns from FSM columnists, Magnus and Jim Cornette, in addition to articles on the current wrestling scene internationally and in the U.K., as well as great historical pieces on wrestling heritage. Plus my 'Wrestling Round Up' TV Lounge column, recapping this past months' WWE & TNA tv shows, as well as WWE ppv & UK independent show reviews, plus much more. Available now, in all good newsagents in the U.K. & Ireland, and for fans worldwide, subscriptions are available here at: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/magazine/subscribe!
Also, for fans in the U.S. and worldwide, why not try the brand new Fighting Spirit Magazine app for iPhone and iPad? Price is $3.99, but a free issue is included in that price! It's awesome to read FSM on the iPad, so why not give it a try?!
Fighting Spirit Magazine App is downloadable here:
1) Chris Jericho defeated Kane, Rob Van Dam and Batista to win an over-the-top-rope challenge match ('WWE Raw' live - Uncasville, Connecticut: 13/01/03).
2) Shawn Michaels & Jeff Hardy defeated Chris Jericho & Christian ('WWE Raw' live - Columbus, Ohio: 17/02/03).
3) Shawn Michaels defeated Chris Jericho ('WWE Wrestlemania 19' pay-per-view event - Seattle, Washington: 30/03/03).
Please note: I DO NOT sell DVDs or tapes of any of these shows. Sorry!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s report. For other reports like this one, be sure to check it out my website archive at http://www.classicwrestlingreports.com .
It’s no longer updated, but this website carries all of my previous WWE Classics tv reports that have been featured on the old WrestlingObserver.com website.
As always your questions, comments and thoughts are always welcomed, and you can contact me at
Until next week, have a good week.
St Helens, England, U.K.