I attended the Cedar Rapids, IA Live event yesterday evening, and here were the results:
Sin Cara vs. Cody Rhodes
Sin Cara pulled off several of his standard spots to very good reactions from the crowd. Cody got quite a few boos and was generally entertaining. Sin Cara won with a senton from the top rope.
AJ Lee w/ Big E Langston vs. Kaitlyn for the WWE Divas Championship
AJ and Big E were out first to a very loud pop. Big E played football for the University of Iowa, so he also got several pops for that. AJ showed the clip from RAW of her dressed up as Kaitlyn. This was a fairly short match, with a couple of minor botched spots, but overall was an entertaining match. AJ was able to retain off of a small package after a distraction from Big E.
Promo: Alberto Del Rio and Ricardo Rodriguez
WWE showed a prerecorded promo hyping the main event match against Dolph Ziggler for the WHC. ADR referred to Ziggler as a Ken Doll. Chimmel then announced that the fans in attendance would get to pick the stipulation: either 2 out of 3 falls or No Disqualification.
Damien Sandow vs. The Greath Kahli
Sandow came out first to some serious heat, and did his usual stuff on the mic. Great Kahli got a surprisingly loud pop. The crowd was super into Kahli during the match. Khali got the win with the Kahli Chop.
Wade Barrett vs. Randy Orton
Randy Orton definitely got the biggest pop of the night when his music hit. This was a fantastic match with some great spots between these two. Several finisher teases and two counts. Orton has really mastered the two and three quarters kick out. Orton won with the RKO. After the match, Orton walked around ringside, high-fiving and signing things for people.
20 minute intermission
Antonio Cesaro w/ Zeb Coulter vs. Justin Gabriel
Cesaro and Coulter came out first, and Coulter did his standard "We the People" speech. Lots of heat for these two. Not as strong a match post intermission as I expected. The pace was very slow with far too many rest holds. The crowd started up a "This is boring" chant mid way through. Gabriel teased his finisher twice, but eventually Cesaro picked up the win with the Neutralizer.
3MB (Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal) vs. The Usos
WWE had mics set up at the top of the ramp so the Usos can do their usual entrance. Very solid crowd reaction for Jimmy and Jay. This was a very solid tag match throughout. Crowd started a very loud "Jinder Awful" chant that was pretty amusing. The Usos picked up the win.
Main Event: Alberto Del Rio vs. Dolph Ziggler for the World Heavyweight Championship
Ricardo came out first to introduce ADR, and did his heel bit that he has been doing now, drawing some decent heat. Crowd still participated in the "Albertooooo" part. Ziggler got the second biggest pop of the night when his music hit. Chimmel announced that the stipulation for the match would be a No Disqualification match. This was the match of the night. The crowd was very into Ziggler with lots of chants. There is no doubt that Ziggler is working as a face at this point, as everything he did was playing that up.
The match went back and forth for quite a while. ADR got a kendo stick as the first weapon, and delivered some vicious shots to Ziggler. Eventually Dolph got a hold of it and returned the favor. At one point, Ricardo grabbed Dolph in the corner and was holding him for ADR's kick to the head, but Ziggler broke free and ADR kicked Ricardo off the apron. Ziggler hit the fame-asser to a very close two and five-sixths count, and then rolled out of the ring and pulled out a table to a huge pop. After some back and forth, ADR ended up putting Ziggler through the table, but Dolph was still able to kick out at two. After some additional back and forth, Ziggler hit the Zig-Zag and was going for the pin when a recovering Ricardo slid into the ring and hit Ziggler in the head with his bucket. Ricardo then drug ADR on top of Ziggler for the three count.
After the match, Ricardo went back into the ring to grab his bucket and the WHC. Ziggler recovered and hit Ricardo with the Zig-Zag to another huge pop. Ziggler then posed with the belt in a fashion very reminiscent of this week's Smackdown. Ziggler also walked around ringside signing things and high-fiving.
Overall, it was a really good live show with an excellent crowd.
1. Damien Sandow
2. Cody Rhodes
Here are the results from the 6-29-13 WWE house show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at the US Cellular Center:
Sin Cara defeated Cody Rhodes
AJ (with Big E Langston) defeated Kaitlyn
Great Khali defeated Damien Sandow
Randy Orton defeated Wade Barrett
Antonio Cesaro (with Zeb Colter) defeated Justin Gabriel
The Usos defeated Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal
Alberto Del Rio (with Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated Dolph Ziggler, in a No DQ match (they did a fan voting for the stip). They used a kendo stick and a table.
Side notes: Crowd heat was good for most of the show. They aired a few "backstage" promos on Titantron, to give it a localized feel, although Cedar Rapids wasn't mentioned in them.
WWE Live Event
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
June 29, 2013
Report by: Adam Martin of Wrestleview.com
This was the first WWE event in Cedar Rapids since 2011 in the newly upgraded US Cellular Center. The new setting makes wrestling events much more intimate.
After airing company video packages, they kicked off the show with the Smackdown intro. The new branding of "WWE Live" was definitely confusing to a majority of people in the crowd near me. Might be smart to avoid this in the future.
* Sin Cara def. Cody Rhodes in the opener. Sin Cara was very popular with kids in the audience. Rhodes was having a fun time doing heel work with the crowd.
* WWE Divas Champion AJ Lee w/ Big E Langston def. Kaitlyn. Big reaction for Big E as he his a former University of Iowa alumni. AJ cut a promo showing footage from RAW on Monday where she dressed up like Kaitlyn.
* The Great Khali def. Damien Sandow. Sandow's worked up the crowd in Cedar Rapids on the mic before the match. He really is in a class of his own with that stuff. Lots of floppy bumping by Sandow and bailing out of the ring during this one. Khali's knees are a mess and he struggles just to walk a few feet at a time.
* Randy Orton def. Wade Barrett. A good portion of the audience started to bail to use the bathrooms or get drinks after Khali vs. Sandow. When Orton's music hit a mad rush of people came back and returned to their seats. Orton was easily the most popular guy.
* Antonio Cesaro w/ Zeb Colter def. Justin Gabriel. Zeb did some mic work before the match to rile up the crowd in Cedar Rapids. At one point a loud "THIS IS BORING" chant broke out. Cesaro seemed annoyed at first, but worked through it.
* The Usos def. Heath Slater and Jinder Mahal. The Usos are just a flat out awesome tag team act right now. Slater was having tons of fun doing heel work. At one point a portion of the crowd was chanting his name and he yelled back, "No one cares!"
* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio w/ Ricardo Rodriguez def. Dolph Ziggler in a No DQ match in the main event. They held a vote to determine if it would be 2 out of 3 Falls or No DQ. Ricardo Rodriguez took some digs at the crowd in Cedar Rapids and then went into his usual introduction for Del Rio. Del Rio had some fun with some people at ringside cheering him. Ziggler had probably the second biggest reaction all night and seems to be settling in nicely to his new babyface role. No AJ or Big E at ringside. Kendo stick was used early on. They eventually brought a table in for a corner spot with Ziggler. Ziggler hit the Zig Zag and Ricardo ran in hitting him with his bucket to secure the win for Del Rio.
Overall, a really fun card. The upgraded house show presentation in the last year with the stage and screens to provide content in between matches really helps the flow.