Tuesday, 31 January 2012 11:26
‘WWE Vintage Collection’ TV Report #191 – January 29th, 2012
Shown on Sky Sports in the U.K.
By Stephen Lyon.
This week: An all Battle Royal match special. Main event of the show was Christian winning the vacant WWE Intercontinental title in a 9 man battle royal, from the WWE Judgment Day ppv, May 2003. Other matches on today's show include the Giant winning a 3 ring, 60 man battle royal (WCW World War 3 ppv, November 1996); Paul London winning the WWE Cruiserweight title in an 8 man battle royal (WWE Smackdown, March 2005); and Davey Boy Smith winning a 20 man battle royal (WWF Superstars, February 1995).
Gene Okerlund hosted the show alone this week.
1) Paul London won the WWE Cruiserweight title by winning an 8 man battle royal. This match aired on the March 31st, 2005 edition of 'WWE Smackdown', taped in Houston, Texas on March 29th, 2005. Announcers for this match were Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler. Wrestlers featured in this match were WWE Cruiserweight Champion, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Paul London, Billy Kidman, Akio, Spike Dudley, Scotty 2 Hotty, Sho Funaki, and Nunzio. Chavo was the first person eliminated, when all the other participants ganged up to throw him out. Final three saw London, Kidman and Akio left in the ring. London had split from former tag team partner Kidman the previous year, with Kidman going heel. Kidman eliminated Akio, and had thought he'd thrown out London too, but London skinned the cat on the outside, holding on to the top rope and propelling himself back into the ring. London then took Kidman out with a huracanrana to win the match and title. London celebrated wildly after the match.
2) The Giant won a three ring, 60 man battle royal to earn a WCW World title shot. This match took place during the 'WCW World War 3' pay-per-view event, held in Norfolk, Virginia on November 24th, 1996. Announcers for this match were Tony Schiavone & Dusty Rhodes & Bobby Heenan & Mike Tenay. Other wrestlers in this match were: Arn Anderson, Marcus Bagwell, The Barbarian, Chris Benoit, Big Bubba, Jack Boot, Bunkhouse Buck, Ciclope, Disco Inferno, Jim Duggan, Bobby Eaton, Mike Enos, Galaxy, Joe Gomez, Jimmy Del Ray, Johnny Grunge, Juventud Guerrera, Eddy Guerrero, Scott Hall, Prince Iaukea, Ice Train, Mr. JL, Jeff Jarrett, Chris Jericho, Kenny Kaos, Konnan, Lex Luger, Dean Malenko, Steve McMichael, Meng, Rey Misterio, Jr., Hugh Morrus, Kevin Nash, Scott Norton, Pierre Ouelette, Diamond Dallas Page, La Parka, Sgt. Craig Pittman, Jim Powers, Robbie Rage, Stevie Ray, Lord Steven Regal, The Renegade, Scotty Riggs, Roadblock, Jacques Rougeau, Tony Rumble, Mark Starr, Rick Steiner, Ron Studd, The Taskmaster, Syxx, Booker T, Squire David Taylor, Último Dragón, Villaño IV, Michael Wallstreet, Pez Whatley and Alex Wright.
Match was joined in progress, with three different screenshots on the screen at the same time of action happening in each ring. This was really hard to watch and follow; a mass of guys punching and kicking each other with no actual wrestling moves being executed. The field narrowed down to a core group of WCW guys - Luger, Misterio Jr, Jarrett, Eddie Guerrero, DDP and Regal, and the NWO four - Nash, Hall, Syxx and Giant. Giant picked Rey up with one hand and tossed him out to the outside, on top of Eddie. Regal eliminated DDP, and then went wild trying to attack the NWO four. It took all four NWO guys to team up to throw out Regal. Eventually it came down to one on four - Luger vs Nash, Hall, Syxx and Giant. Luger racked the Giant, then threw out both Hall and Syxx. Giant then threw out both Luger and Nash to win the match.
3) Davey Boy Smith won a 20 man battle royal. This match aired on the February 25th, 1995 edition of 'WWF Superstars', taped in West Palm Beach, Florida on January 24th, 1995. Announcers for this match were Vince McMahon & Gorilla Monsoon. Other participants in this match were Shawn Michaels, Jacob & Eli Blu, Fatu, Sionne, Bob Holly, Mable, Mo, Henry Godwinn, Tom Pritchard, Jimmy Del Ray, Jerry Lawler, Adam Bomb, King Kong Bundy, Mantaur, Duke Drose, Aldo Montoya, Kwang, and the 1-2-3 Kid. Michaels, who had recently won the 1995 Royal Rumble match, was portrayed as a hated man here. He entered the ring last, and immediately, the 19 guys went after him. Michaels avoided them all, then hopped over the top rope to the outside, eliminating himself. Michaels was great here, arrogantly saying to the camera on his way back down the aisle that he'd 'won the one that counted' (the Rumble). Smith and 1-2-3 Kid teamed up to eliminate Lawler, but only one of Lawler's feet hit the floor. Lawler was hilarious here, hopping around on one foot and telling all the ringside fans to be quiet and not to give the game away for him. Bret Hart came out and confronted Lawler. This was funny stuff, as Hart stood there with his arms folded, smirking at Lawler, as Lawler begged off, and tried to hop away on one leg. Eventually, Bret caught up with him and stomped on his standing foot, eliminating Lawler, then pounding on him with punches on the floor. Finish saw Smith eliminate Mantaur, and be left in the ring with Eli Blu. Michaels ran out and attacked Smith. However, Smith was able to recover and threw out Blu to win the match.
4) Christian won the vacant WWE Intercontinental title in a 9 man battle royal. This match took place at the 'WWE Judgment Day 2003' pay-per-view event, held in Charlotte, North Carolina on May 18th, 2003. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. Other participants in this match were Booker T, Lance Storm, Goldust, Test, Val Venis, Kane, Chris Jericho, and Rob Van Dam. The IC title had been vacant since October 2002, when Triple H had defeated Kane to unify the World title with the IC title. When Steve Austin became co-General Manager of Raw, one of his first actions was to bring back the IC title and book this match to crown a new champion. At the start of the match, all the participants ganged up on Kane to try to throw him out. Kane fought back, eliminating Storm first, but was subsequently overpowered and eliminated. Before leaving, Kane re-entered the ring and attacked everyone. The final four in the match were Christian, Booker T, Goldust and Jericho. Booker T threw out Goldust. Jericho, who was busted open, went for a lionsault but was pushed off the top rope by Christian and eliminated. The referee was bumped, leading to Booker T running Christian into the ring post, then superkicking him off the ring apron. They began playing Booker T's music to signify he'd won. Pat Patterson was at ringside to present the IC title belt to the new champion, and began climbing the ring steps to enter the ring, when Christian punched him, snatching the IC belt. Christian then nailed Booker T with the belt, before throwing him back into the ring. The referee revived in time to see Christian throw out Booker T, to win the match and the IC title.
Closing thoughts: Not a particularly good show this week. A battle royal is a classic match concept, but a whole show of them is total overkill. The antics of Lawler and Christian in the 1995 and 2003 battle royals respectively on this show was pretty funny though.
Quick plug: If you enjoy my weekly 'WWE Vintage Collection' tv columns such as this, then you may like to check out the latest issue of 'Fighting Spirit Magazine' (Issue 76), with Chris Jericho on the cover, featuring a retrospective on the ECW Arena and a 2011 Year in Review, plus my 'Wrestling Round Up' TV Lounge column, recapping this past months' WWE & TNA tv shows, as well as WWE & TNA ppv reviews, and much more. Available now, in all good newsagents in the U.K. & Ireland, and for fans worldwide, subscriptions are available here at: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp!
Also, for fans in the U.S. and worldwide, why not try the brand new Fighting Spirit Magazine app for iPhone and iPad? Price is $2.99, but a free issue is included in that price! It's awesome to read FSM on the iPad, so why not give it a try?!
Fighting Spirit Magazine App is downloadable here:
1) Paul London won the WWE Cruiserweight title by winning an 8 man battle royal ('WWE Smackdown': Houston, Texas - taped on 29/03/05, aired on 31/03/05).
2) The Giant won a three ring, 60 man battle royal to earn a WCW World title shot ('WCW World War 3' pay-per-view event: Norfolk, Virginia - 24/11/96).
3) Davey Boy Smith won a 20 man battle royal ('WWF Superstars': West Palm Beach, Florida - taped on 24/01/95, aired on 25/02/95).
4) Christian won the vacant WWE Intercontinental title by winning a 9 man battle royal ('WWE Judgment Day 2003' pay-per-view event: Charlotte, North Carolina - 18/05/03).
Please note: I DO NOT sell DVDs or tapes of any of these shows. Sorry!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s report. For other reports like this one, be sure to check it out my website archive at http://www.classicwrestlingreports.com .
It’s no longer updated, but this website carries all of my previous WWE Classics tv reports that have been featured on the old WrestlingObserver.com website.
As always your questions, comments and thoughts are always welcomed, and you can contact me at
Until next week, have a good week.
St Helens, England, U.K.