Sunday, 16 June 2013 11:49
'WWE Vintage Collection’ TV Report #263 – June 16th, 2013
Shown on Sky Sports in the U.K.
By Stephen Lyon.
This week's theme: Part 2 of the history of D-Generation X, focusing on the 2006 reunion onwards. Main event of today's show was Shawn Michaels vs Edge vs Randy Orton in a match for the WM23 title shot against John Cena, from WWE Raw, February 2007. Other matches on today's show included: Triple H vs the Spirit Squad in a 1-on-5 Gauntlet Match (WWE Raw, June 2006); and Triple H & Shawn Michaels vs Edge & Randy Orton (WWE Cyber Sunday ppv, November 2006). Plus a bunch of DX skits & segments.
Show was hosted by Gene Okerlund and Renee Young.
1) Triple H went to a no contest in a Gauntlet Match vs the Spirit Squad. This match aired on the June 12th, 2006 live edition of 'WWE Raw', taped in State College, Pennsylvania. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. This match was more of an angle than a match. Triple H squared off with Mike 'Mikey' Mondo in the ring, making short work of him. Vince McMahon stood on the ramp, and ordered Kenny Dykstra out next, making it 2-on-1. Triple H tossed Kenny out of the ring, and gave Mikey a spinebuster. An angry Vince then sent both Johnny Jeter and Nicky (now Dolph Ziggler) out at the same time, and it was a 4-on-1 beatdown on Triple H. Finally the odds were too much for Triple H, as the heels beat him down. Kenny brought a chair into the ring, which Vince on the ramp ordered to be wrapped around Triple H's neck. Vince then ordered out the remaining Spirit Squad member, Mitch. However, Mitch was suddenly tossed out on to the ring ramp from behind the curtain, and Shawn Michaels emerged, to a big crowd pop. Michaels superkicked Mitch, then ran to the ring and helped Triple H to clean house. The crowd went nuts, as this was the official reuniting of DX, making it official after several months of teasing a reunion between Triple H and Michaels.
Next came a segment from the June 26th, 2006 edition of 'WWE Raw', where Triple H & Michaels dressed up as Vince & Shane McMahon respectively to spoof them in an in-ring segment. They played an old video of Vince performing the 'Stand Back' musical number at the 1987 Slammy Awards to mock him. Vince & Shane came out at the top of entrance ramp, wielding baseball bats and looking unamused. They were soon joined by the Spirit Squad. Before they could make their way down to the ring, DX dumped what was purported to be brown excrement from the ceiling on them, covering all of them in it.
Another backstage segment aired, this time from the November 13th, 2006 edition of 'WWE Raw'. Jonathan Coachman had placed a $10,000 bounty on the heads of DX, after they had been tormenting him for months. DX joined Coach in the locker room, and admitted he had won, and they were leaving. Whilst a delighted Coach spoke to Triple H, Michaels stole Coach's briefcase containing the bounty money. Later in the show, outside the building that DX were now barred from, DX decided that they wanted to buy a ticket to re-enter the building as fans. They ended up buying 2 tickets from scalpers outside the arena, who also happened to be Cryme Tyme. The gag here was that Triple H couldn't understand what Cryme Tyme were saying, but Michaels could because he 'spoke jive'.
Yet another backstage segment was next, from the 'WWE Cyber Sunday 2006' ppv, with Triple H deliberately riling up Michaels ahead of their match vs Rated RKO later that night. The ending of the segment saw a crazy Michaels superkicking random backstage workers in a corridor backstage. That was pretty funny actually.
2) Edge & Randy Orton defeated Triple H & Shawn Michaels. This match took place at the 'WWE Cyber Sunday 2006' pay-per-view event, held in Cincinnati, Ohio on November 5th, 2006. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. Eric Bischoff was special guest referee for this match. DX were largely in control for most of this match. After a commercial break, Triple H tried for a pedigree on Orton, but ate an Edge spear instead. Michaels entered the ring and tossed out Edge, then doing a crossbody block on to him outside the ring. Bischoff was outside the ring distracted. Orton hit an RKO on Triple H, but a new ref ran in and only counted to two. Michaels superkicked Orton, and Triple H tried to score the pin, only for Bischoff to return and pull the second referee out of the ring and deck him. Edge then nailed Michaels with chairshot, and Orton caught Triple H with chairshot as well, before delivering an RKO on to a chair in the ring to score the pinfall win.
3) Shawn Michaels defeated Edge and Randy Orton in a triple threat match to earn a WM23 title shot. This match aired on the February 5th, 2007 live edition of 'WWE Raw', taped in Sioux, Iowa. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler. This was largely a handicap match in the early stages, with Edge and Orton working together to dominate Michaels. Orton gave Michaels an RKO, but Edge pulled Orton out of his pin attempt. the two heels exchanged slaps, then cooler heads prevailed and they both got back on the same page. Then they both tried to sucker punch each other at the same time. Finish of the bout saw Michaels dodge an Edge spear, directing him to run into Orton instead, then Michaels superkicked Orton to score the pinfall win and earn a WWE title shot against John Cena at Wrestlemania 23.
Closing thoughts: Below average show this week. The triple threat main event was okay, as was the DX vs Rated RKO match. I wasn't a big fan of the DX reunion in the late 00s, so this wasn't really the show for me. There was also too many non-wrestling segments on this show. It was noted at the end of the show that next week's show begins a month-long look at cruiserweights.
Quick plug: If you enjoy my weekly 'WWE Vintage Collection' tv columns such as this, then you may like to check out the latest issue of 'Fighting Spirit Magazine' (Issue 94, with Sheamus on the cover. The critically-acclaimed magazine features all new regular columns from FSM columnists, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Magnus and Jim Cornette, in addition to articles on the current wrestling scene internationally and in the U.K., as well as great historical pieces on wrestling heritage. Plus my 'Wrestling Round Up' TV Lounge column, recapping this past months' WWE & TNA tv shows, as well as WWE & TNA ppv reviews, plus much more. Available now, in all good newsagents in the U.K. & Ireland, and for fans worldwide, subscriptions are available here at: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp!
Also, for fans in the U.S. and worldwide, why not try the brand new Fighting Spirit Magazine app for iPhone and iPad? Price is $3.99, but a free issue is included in that price! It's awesome to read FSM on the iPad, so why not give it a try?!
Fighting Spirit Magazine App is downloadable here:
1) Triple H went to a no contest in a Gauntlet Match vs the Spirit Squad ('WWE Raw', - State College, Pennsylvania: 12/06/06).
2) Edge & Randy Orton defeated Triple H & Shawn Michaels ('WWE Cyber Sunday 2006' pay-per-view event - Cincinnati, Ohio: 05/11/06).
3) Shawn Michaels defeated Edge and Randy Orton in a triple threat match to earn a WM23 title shot ('WWE Raw', - Sioux, Iowa: 05/02/07).
Please note: I DO NOT sell DVDs or tapes of any of these shows. Sorry!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s report. For other reports like this one, be sure to check it out my website archive at http://www.classicwrestlingreports.com .
It’s no longer updated, but this website carries all of my previous WWE Classics tv reports that have been featured on the old WrestlingObserver.com website.
As always your questions, comments and thoughts are always welcomed, and you can contact me at
Until next week, have a good week.
St Helens, England, U.K.