Sunday, 28 July 2013 17:15
'WWE Vintage Collection’ TV Report #269 – July 28th, 2013
Shown on Sky Sports in the U.K.
By Stephen Lyon.
This week's theme: More Great American Bash matches. Main Event of today's show was Diamond Dallas Page vs Macho Man Randy Savage in a Non-Sanctioned Lights Out match from the WCW Great American Bash ppv, June 1997. Other matches on today's show included: Goldberg vs Konnan for the WCW U.S. title (WCW Great American Bash ppv, June 1998); Sting vs Meng for the vacant WCW U.S. title (WCW Great American Bash ppv, June 1995); and Dustin Rhodes & Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong vs The Fabulous Freebirds & Badstreet in an Elimination match (WCW Great American Bash ppv, July 1991).
Show was hosted by Gene Okerlund & Renee Young.
1) Dustin Rhodes & Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong defeated the Fabulous Freebirds & Badstreet (w/Big Daddy Dink in their corner) in an Elimination match. This match took place at the 'WCW Great American Bash 1991' pay-per-view event, held in Baltimore, Maryland on July 14th, 1991. Announcers for this match were Jim Ross & Tony Schiavone. Badstreet was Brad Armstrong under a hood and a bodysuit, so this match featured Armstrong brother vs Armstrong brother, Steve vs Brad. There was one spot where Steve was trying to unmask Badstreet, only for Hayes to make the save. Hayes and Badstreet then combined to give Steve a double DDT, allowing Hayes to score the pin. Hayes then stupidly tossed Steve over the top rope, causing him to be disqualified. Next elimination came when Garvin pinned Smothers after another DDT. Seconds later, Rhodes clotheslined a celebrating Garvin to score the pinfall elimination on him. This left Dustin vs Badstreet. Big Daddy Dink at ringside attempted a distraction, but Rhodes was still able to running bulldog Badstreet whilst at the same time dropkick Daddy Dink. Rhodes then pinned Badstreet for the win.
2) WCW U.S. Champion, Goldberg defeated Konnan (w/Curt Hennig & Rick Rude in his corner). This match took place at the 'WCW Great American Bash 1998' pay-per-view event, held in Baltimore, Maryland on June 14th, 1998. Announcers for this match were Tony Schiavone & Bobby Heenan. This was pretty much a quick squash match. Spear, jackhammer, pinfall win for Goldberg. The announcers pushed that this was his 100th consecutive win, as the crowd popped huge.
3) Sting defeated Meng (w/Colonel Robert Parker in his corner) to win the vacant WCW U.S. title. This match took place at the 'WCW Great American Bash 1995' pay-per-view event, held in Daytona, Ohio on June 18th, 1995. Announcers for this match were Tony Schiavone & Bobby Heenan. This match was the finals of a tournament to crown a new U.S. Champion, after WCW Commissioner Nick Bockwinkel had strapped Vader of the belt after Vader had attacked Dave Sullivan in a relentless fashion in an angle on tv. Meng no-sold a lot of Sting's offence, as the pair brawled outside the ring. Back inside, Sting threw clotheslines, which Meng continued to no-sell. Sting eventually took Meng down, and decked Colonel Robert Parker as well. Sting applied the Scorpion deathlock on Meng, but surprisingly, Meng broke free. Moments later, Sting gave Meng a big jumping DDT to score the pinfall win.
4) Macho Man Randy Savage (w/Elizabeth in his corner) defeated Diamond Dallas Page (w/Kimberley in his corner) in a Non-Sanctioned Lights Out match. This match took place at the 'WCW Great American Bash 1997' pay-per-view event, held in Moline, Illinois on June 15th, 1997. Announcers for this match were Tony Schiavone & Bobby Heenan & Dusty Rhodes. This was match two in the great Page vs Savage series. Kimberley came out to signify DDP's entrance, but as Savage & Liz looked on from the ring, Page came through the crowd and jumped Savage. This was a very fast paced brawl, mostly outside the ring. Savage was knocked to the outside, with Page then diving through the ropes on to Savage. Page sold his injured ribs a lot, as Savage clotheslined Page into the crowd. The pair brawled through the crowd, all the way to the back wall of the arena. Page threw Savage into the brick wall, then nailed Savage several times with a fans crutch. The pair fought all the way back to the ring through an unruly crowd. After a commercial break, Savage tore up the ringside mats and attempted to piledrive Page on the concrete floor. Referee Mickey Jay attempted to stop the move and pulled DDP out of Savage's arms, causing Savage to flip and deck Jay. Savage also decked a ringside photographer and destroyed his camera. This allowed Page to recover and nail Savage with a chairshot. Back in the ring, DDP gave Savage the Diamond Cutter, only for Scott Hall to run out and break up the pinfall attempt. Hall tried to deck Page with his WCW World Tag Team title belt, swung and missed, with Page nailing Hall with punches and an atomic drop. Savage grabbed the title belt and clocked Page in the head with it from behind. Hall then gave DDP an Outsiders Edge, followed by a Savage big elbow off the top, to score the pinfall win.
Closing thoughts: Page vs Savage II saved the show with a very good match.
Quick plug: If you enjoy my weekly 'WWE Vintage Collection' tv columns such as this, then you may like to check out the latest issue of 'Fighting Spirit Magazine' (Issue 95, with Daniel Bryan on the cover. The critically-acclaimed magazine features all new regular columns from FSM columnists, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Magnus and Jim Cornette, in addition to articles on the current wrestling scene internationally and in the U.K., as well as great historical pieces on wrestling heritage. Plus my 'Wrestling Round Up' TV Lounge column, recapping this past months' WWE & TNA tv shows, as well as WWE & TNA ppv reviews, plus much more. Available now, in all good newsagents in the U.K. & Ireland, and for fans worldwide, subscriptions are available here at: http://www.fightingspiritmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.asp!
Also, for fans in the U.S. and worldwide, why not try the brand new Fighting Spirit Magazine app for iPhone and iPad? Price is $3.99, but a free issue is included in that price! It's awesome to read FSM on the iPad, so why not give it a try?!
Fighting Spirit Magazine App is downloadable here:
1) Dustin Rhodes & Tracy Smothers & Steve Armstrong defeated the Fabulous Freebirds & Badstreet in an Elimination match ('WCW Great American Bash 1991' pay-per-view event - Baltimore, Maryland: 14/07/91).
2) WCW U.S. Champion, Goldberg defeated Konnan (w/Curt Hennig & Rick Rude in his corner) ('WCW Great American Bash 1998' pay-per-view event - Baltimore, Maryland: 14/06/98).
3) Sting defeated Meng (w/Colonel Robert Parker in his corner) to win the vacant WCW U.S. title ('WCW Great American Bash 1995' pay-per-view event - Daytona, Ohio: 18/06/95).
4) Macho Man Randy Savage (w/Elizabeth in his corner) defeated Diamond Dallas Page (w/Kimberley in his corner) in a Non-Sanctioned Lights Out match ('WCW Great American Bash 1997' pay-per-view event - Moline, Illinois: 15/06/97).
Please note: I DO NOT sell DVDs or tapes of any of these shows. Sorry!
I hope you enjoyed this week’s report. For other reports like this one, be sure to check it out my website archive at http://www.classicwrestlingreports.com .
It’s no longer updated, but this website carries all of my previous WWE Classics tv reports that have been featured on the old WrestlingObserver.com website.
As always your questions, comments and thoughts are always welcomed, and you can contact me at
Until next week, have a good week.
St Helens, England, U.K.