Here's some notes on the weigh-ins for UFC on FX 2 from Sydney, Australia, at the Allphones Arena, airing on Fuel and FX Friday in the U.S. and Saturday in Australia.
Jon Anik (playing Joe Rogan role), Joe Silva, Bruce Buffer and Arianny Celeste. With Anik there, hopefully this doesn't end up like the main event on Warrior. Dana White got there late. Maybe he got caught up in Sydney traffic.
Facebook at 5:30 p.m.
- Shawn Jordan (12-3, 245.5) vs. Oli Thompson (9-2, 235)
Thompson is a former strongman competitor who looks like a powerlifter who bodybuilds on the side.
Fuel at 6 p.m.
- Mackens Semerzier (8-3, 1 no contest, 146) vs. Daniel Pineda (16-7, 146)
- Jake Hecht (11-2, 171) vs. T.J. Waldburger (14-6, 170)
- Andrew Craig (6-0, 185) vs. Kyle Noke (19-5-1, 185)
Noke, of course, very popular with the locals since they used him in a lot of the promotion of the show.
- Steven Siler (19-9, 146) vs. Cole Miller (18-5, 146)
Miller was saying all sorts of bad things to Siler at close range, enough that Silva and Buffer stepped between them. Siler was not expecting this. The storyline here is that Siler beat Micah Miller (Cole's brother) to get into the house on the last season of TUF.
- Nick Penner (12-1, 203.5) vs. Anthony Perosh (12-6, 205)
- Aaron Rosa (17-4, 205.5) vs. James Te Huna (15-5, 206)
Te Huna needed to take his necklace off to make weight. Seriously.
FX at 9 p.m.
- Costa Philippou (9-2, 1 no contest, 185.5) vs. Court McGee (13-1, 184.5)
UFC flyweight tournament semifinal fights
- Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall (11-2, 125.5) vs. Demetrious Johnson (14-2, 125.5)
McCall got over wearing Australian flag underwear. Not to be outdone, Johnson wore Australian flag underwear as well and looks a lot skinner at 125, a big difference.
- Yasuhiro Urushitani (19-4-6, 125.5) vs. Joseph Benavidez (15-2, 125.5)
Benavidez also looks noticeably skinner than usual.
Martin Kampmann (18-5, 170.5) vs. Thiago Alves (24-7, 170.5)
Yes, Alves made weight.
Here's some additional notes from reader James Shannon who was in attendance: