WWE Bowling Green, KY, live results: Nakamura vs. ZigglerBy F4W Staff | @WONF4W | Apr 18, 2017 11:21 am
Submitted by reader Blake Sims
- Mojo Rawley & Breezango defeated The Ascension & Jinder Mahal
Breezango surprisingly worked face here. The heels worked over Fandango for what seemed like forever before the finish. Mojo Rawley finally got a hot tag and cleared house. Rawley hit his tackle finisher on Viktor to get the win.
This was a fine enough opener, though Fandango sold for way too long.
- Luke Harper defeated Erick Rowan
Rowan came out with a painted sheep mask. He had a bag and opened it to show two balloons. He went to give them to a child at ringside, and before the kid grabbed them, Rowan popped them. Harper came out to a great reception. Harper went to the same kid and gave him a high five.
Harper kicked out of a Rock Bottom style slam near the end. He then got back up to hit a superkick and a rolling elbow for the win.
- United States Champion Kevin Owens defeated Sami Zayn to retain his title
Owens got a huge reaction, with cheers and boos mixed. Zayn similarly got a big response. Owens attacked Zayn before the bell, which got the crowd to boo Owens a bit. In control of Zayn, Owens heeled it up, yelling at the crowd. That got him a few boos, but he was still cheered loudly.
Later in the match, Owens landed a superkick and Zayn immediately hit a Blue Thunder Bomb, but Owens kicked out at two. They went up top for a superplex, but Zayn fought Owens off. Owens charged back at Zayn, but he jumped off and rolled through. On the way back, Zayn was caught with the pop-up powerbomb and got pinned.
This was a great match, with Owens and Zayn again proving the chemistry they have together. Owens cut a promo after the match, just getting out his current stuff. He again called himself the "Face of America."
- Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Dolph Ziggler
Ziggler got a mixed reaction, and Nakamura got a pretty large pop. Some people were singing along with his song. He came off like a star, even with a crowd not as familiar with him as some are.
Nakamura hit the Kinshasa for the win after Ziggler had rolled him up on a Kinshasa attempt.
- SmackDown Women's Champion Naomi defeated Natalya, Becky Lynch, Tamina, Charlotte Flair, and Carmella (w/ James Ellsworth) to retain her title
Naomi came out first and got a good reaction. Lynch was next to big cheers, then Natalya who got a big cheer as well. Tamina was booed, though the crowd was mostly just silent. Carmella with Ellsworth got lots of boos. And Charlotte got the biggest cheers of all the women by far.
There was lots of stuff in the match. Bodies were flying all over the place since it was one fall to a finish. Naomi eventually hit Carmella with the Rearview to win, which came after she had hit the move on Ellsworth as he tried to interfere.
- SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos defeated American Alpha to retain their titles
This crowd seemed unfamiliar enough with American Alpha that they didn’t care about The Usos currently being heels. The Usos were treated like babyfaces in the match, which made it hard to get into. Alpha’s formula only works when the crowd wants to see them make a comeback and get that hot tag.
The crowd even cheered when they cut Chad Gable off from making the tag. The eventual hot tag to Jason Jordan got a decent reaction, but not like it usually gets. Jey Uso rolled up Gable for the win.
- WWE Champion Randy Orton defeated Baron Corbin and AJ Styles in a triple threat match to retain his title
Orton got the biggest pop of the night by far, with Styles also getting a great reception and Corbin getting a mixed one.
Styles hit the Pele kick on Corbin near the end of the match, then set up the Phenomenal Forearm, but was cut off by Corbin. Corbin turned around right into an RKO and Orton retained.
Editor's note: Thanks to reader Bob Pivoroff for sending in results from Raw's house show in Champaign, Illinois from Saturday night. Those results were:
- Raw Tag Team Champions The Hardys defeated Enzo Amore & Big Cass, Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson, and Cesaro & Sheamus to retain their titles
- Sami Zayn defeated Curtis Axel
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion Neville defeated Austin Aries to retain his title
This was a pretty good match.
- They aired the Roman Reigns/Braun Strowman video from last week. They announced that Reigns couldn't compete. Strowman cut a promo in the ring, which led to Reigns coming out with a taped up shoulder, selling the "injuries." They brawled briefly, doing big spots, a Superman punch, and used a table in the ring. Reigns got the better of it.
- Raw Women's Champion Bayley defeated Sasha Banks, Charlotte Flair, and Nia Jax to retain her title
- Big Show defeated Jinder Mahal
Big Show remained in the ring afterwards. Titus O'Neil came out and did a promo. He ripped on Big Show and the city, then Big Show laid him out with a knockout punch and that was it.
- Chris Jericho & Seth Rollins defeated Kevin Owens & Samoa Joe
This was a decent match. Owens made fun of Champaign in a pre-match promo. Jericho did a long babyface promo to send the crowd home happy.