Ahead of being announced as the new president of MMA promotion Combate Americas on Tuesday, Alberto Del Rio (now known as Alberto El Presidente) spoke to TMZ in New York about allegedly being stabbed recently and his future plans in professional wrestling.
Del Rio referred to the stabbing incident as a "street fight" and claimed that it was caused by someone disrespecting his girlfriend Paige. He said that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time while at a friend's restaurant in San Antonio, TX.
When asked if he called the police, Del Rio said that he didn't want to talk about it anymore and only put it out there out of respect for Dorian Roldan, the promoter of AAA. He said that the problem with putting something out there on the internet is that people make assumptions and try to tell a different story.
Dave Meltzer wrote in last week's edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that the San Antonio police department has not responded to requests for any records regarding the incident, nor did they confirm that they have records of it.
The alleged incident caused Del Rio to miss AAA's Heroes Inmortales show earlier this month.
Also in the interview with TMZ, Del Rio commented on what's next for his career in pro wrestling. He claimed that he will be working dates for Ring of Honor, as well as TNA if they get the money to pay him. Del Rio made similar comments in a separate interview with ESPN.
Video of Del Rio (and Paige) being interviewed by TMZ is available to watch below: