Davey Richards is getting another shot to become MLW National Openweight Champion.
MLW has announced that Alex Kane will defend his National Openweight title against Richards at Battle Riot IV in New York City on Thursday, June 23. The show is a television taping for MLW Fusion.
Kane and Richards went to a 20-minute time limit draw when Richards answered Kane's open challenge at MLW's Kings of Colosseum tapings this May.
Kane has been MLW National Openweight Champion since winning the title in a five-way ladder match last November.
"Since signing last May, Alex Kane has dominated the competition and conquered all in his way to winning and retaining the National Openweight Championship. Tossing adversaries effortlessly en route to 'Suplex Island,' Kane is a grappling machine, cleaning out the division… except for one man: 'The American Wolf' Davey Richards," MLW wrote.
"Following their controversial clash in Philadelphia, Richards now looks to shut up and tap out the braggadocious 'Suplex Assassin' and complete his year-long hunt for gold."
Kane and Richards will both also be competing in the 40-man Battle Riot match at Battle Riot IV. The winner of that match receives an MLW World Heavyweight Championship shot whenever they want it.
MLW Battle Riot IV (Thursday, June 23) --
- 40-man Battle Riot match
- MLW World Heavyweight Champion Alex Hammerstone defends against Bandido
- MLW National Openweight Champion Alex Kane defends against Davey Richards
- MLW Middleweight Champion Myron Reed defends against Lince Dorado, La Estrella, and Arez in a four-way match
- Taya Valkyrie vs. Brittany Blake
- Ross & Marshall Von Erich vs. Samoan Swat Team
- Scarlett Bordeaux vs. Clara Carreras