Quick results --
This was mostly a recap show looking at the results and fallout from NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool II. Along with recap videos and WWE.com exclusive backstage segments from after TakeOver, this show featured two matches taped before TakeOver last Sunday.
In a very good match, Joseph Conners pinned A-Kid, capitalizing on the latter's knee being tweaked. Both looked good here and A-Kid is a tremendous talent with a very bright future. In the main event, Dave Mastiff pinned Kassius Ohno in a battle of agile heavyweights.
Full rundown --
The show opened with a graphic remembering Rocky Johnson.
Next up was a video recap of NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool II that included all the big spots from the various matches, culminating with the cowardly attack by the Undisputed Era on WALTER and the rest of Imperium.
After the intro, Tom Phillips and Nigel McGuinness recapped TakeOver some more over some still photos. After that it was time for our first match. It featured two men who recently clashed backstage at NXT UK.
Joseph Conners pinned A-Kid after hitting Don't Look Down (10:17)
Conners came out wearing a T-shirt reading "TakeOver Worthy." Well, he made the pre-show at least.
They did some mat wrestling early as A-Kid showed his mat prowess. He looked to have strained his neck early on a head bridging flip over.
A-Kid kept in control with some arm drags and a dropkick. Conners capitalized on a slight hesitation by the young Spaniard and threw him head-first into the bottom turnbuckle. Conners tossed A-Kid off a vertical suplex for a two count, then followed up with a Falcon Arrow for another one.
Conners hit a side suplex, then locked in a chinbar, but A-Kid powered out and hit some strikes. He played possum off a clothesline by Conners and hit a beautiful dropkick, followed by a German suplex and a Northern Lights suplex for a two count of his own. Conners held on to the ropes to avoid a head kick, but got wiped out with a dive as he slid to ringside.
Conners hit a slingshot on the top rope, but A-Kid quickly recovered and hit a kick to the jaw as Conners got back into the ring. He then hit a great top rope moonsault to the outside on Conners.
A-Kid hit a high crossbody off the top. Conners rolled through and went for Don't Look Down, but A-Kid turned it into a small package for a near fall, followed by a crucifix bomb.
A-Kid hit some Daniel Bryan-style kicks to the chest of a kneeling Conners. Conners hit a blow that might have been low, then ducked another kick and hit a neck snap. Conners went for a Figure Four, but he got kicked off and caught with a flying knee. Conners then hit a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. He followed with a top rope moonsault but got caught in an armbar on landing.
A-Kid transitioned to a triangle. He got lifted up but managed to go for a sunset flip and another small package. A-Kid went for a backslide, but Conners kicked him in the knee that A-Kid may have tweaked earlier on the moonsault to the outside. Conners then hit Don't Look Down for the victory.
- A WWE.com exclusive clip of the backstage confrontation between Trent Seven and Eddie Dennis from after their match at TakeOver aired.
- A graphic announced that Imperium would speak out next week. Ilja Dragunov will also be in action.
- A highlight video of the Tag Team title ladder match from TakeOver aired, followed by another WWE.com exclusive clip of Alicia Taylor interviewing Gallus after their victory. Wolfgang said the Tag Team titles would stay with them for a long time.
- Another video looked at the history between Jinny and Jazzy Gabert and teased dissension between the two with some clips from recent weeks. A graphic announced Gabert would face Killer Kelly next week.
- Yet another TakeOver highlight video looked at the Women's title match between Kay Lee Ray, Toni Storm, and Piper Niven. A WWE.com video with Taylor and Storm then aired.
Storm was very bitter and desperate and said that she was robbed at TakeOver. Storm said rules were there to be broken, but this did not apply to her. What happened in her match would be bad news for everybody and it would make things worse for Rhea Ripley. Storm said her head space was worse than before and she would rob Ripley when they face off.
Ripley will defend her NXT Women's Championship against Storm at Worlds Collide on January 25. A hype video for Worlds Collide aired, focusing on Imperium vs. Undisputed Era.
- Another recap video looked at WALTER vs. Joe Coffey from TakeOver: Blackpool II and the subsequent attack by Undisputed Era.
- This was followed by Sid Scala and Johnny Saint announcing that two NXT UK wrestlers would compete in the NXT Cruiserweight Championship fatal four-way match at Worlds Collide. The participants will be decided next week in two matches: Jordan Devlin vs. Ligero and Travis Banks vs. Brian Kendrick.
Dave Mastiff pinned Kassius Ohno after hitting Into the Void (6:49)
Ohno stalled early. The two heavyweights locked knuckles and Mastiff quickly overpowered Ohno, who came back with a shoulder block and wristlock. Mastiff countered with an overhead takeover and locked in a wristlock of his own. Ohno repeatedly kipped up and slapped Mastiff, but got wiped out by a dropkick.
Ohno rolled to the apron but quickly got launched back inside with an arm drag. Mastiff then went to the apron and had Ohno in a waistlock through the ropes, but Ohno pulled at Mastiff's singlet and rammed him into the ring post.
Ohno locked in a cravat. Mastiff tried to lift him, but a knee to the gut took him down. Ohno followed with two rolling sentons and locked in another cravat. Mastiff hit a backdrop driver to power out of the move, then hit a clothesline, two rolling sentons, and a running senton of his own for a two count.
Mastiff went for Into the Void (his somersault senton in the corner), but Ohno evaded him and turned it into a sit-down pin. Mastiff quickly recovered and hit a German suplex, then went to the second turnbuckle.
Ohno stopped Mastiff's flying ambitions and applied a cravat on the top rope. Mastiff countered, lifted Ohno onto his shoulders, and hit a super rolling senton from the top. Mastiff then hit Into the Void to get the win.
Next week --
NXT UK tapes a couple of weeks worth of shows in York, England this week. With Worlds Collide coming up just one week from Saturday, next week will feature some matches and segments to build to that show:
- Imperium will address their grievances with the Undisputed Era before the two factions clash at Worlds Collide
- Ilja Dragunov will be in action, in preparation of his match against Finn Balor at Worlds Collide
- Jazzy Gabert will face Killer Kelly and probably shed some light on the relationship between her and Jinny
- Jordan Devlin faces Ligero and Travis Banks faces Brian Kendrick, with the winners of those matches getting the remaining spots in the fatal four-way match with NXT Cruiserweight Champion Angel Garza and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott at Worlds Collide