NXT TV taping spoilers: Final build to TakeOver ChicagoBy JJ Williams | @JJWilliamsWON | May 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Images: JJ Williams
NXT was back at Full Sail University on Thursday for their second straight night of television tapings. These episodes featured the final build to TakeOver: Chicago, though there may have been some dark segments.
- Kona Reeves defeated Raul Mendoza
Reeves won with a Samoan drop.
- NXT North American Champion Adam Cole defeated Lio Rush to retain his title
This was a very good match and the crowd loved both wrestlers. Rush hit a frog splash for a near fall, but Cole won with a Shining Wizard to the back of the head.
- Shayna Baszler did an in-ring promo and was upset about the stunt Nikki Cross pulled last night (where Cross made the save for Dakota Kai and celebrated with Baszler's NXT Women's Championship). That brought out Cross for a confrontation.
They exchanged words and Cross told Baszler to "do it" when she threatened her. Cross stood tall after they fought.
- TM-61 defeated two enhancement wrestlers
After the match, TM-61 challenged anyone else to prove they're the best tag team in NXT.
- Dakota Kai, Steffanie Newell & Kacy Catanzaro defeated Vanessa Borne, Reina Gonzalez & Taynara Conti
The crowd loved Catanzaro, who was a former star on "American Ninja Warrior." Kai won it for her team with a sunset flip lungblower.
- Tommaso Ciampa was out to say Johnny Gargano thinks he's a badass now because he fought him off recently. He then brought up that Gargano injured his own wife due to his rage (when Gargano accidentally knocked Candice LeRae off the apron last night). Gargano stormed down, fighting off officials to brawl with Ciampa.
They fought all around Full Sail before Gargano shoved him into the LED board, which completely opened up Ciampa’s head. It was a major blood gusher that even required a mop to clean up. Gargano applied the Gargano Escape while medics and referees tried to pull him off. Ciampa flipped the crowd off before leaving.
This was an Incredible segment and one of the best ones in Full Sail history.
- Jack Gallagher defeated Drew Gulak in a United Kingdom tournament first round match
Gallagher won by headbutt in advance of next month's United Kingdom Championship tournament. The winner of that will challenge Pete Dunne on the second night at Royal Albert Hall.
- The War Raiders defeated two enhancement wrestlers
This was a decisive victory that the crowd loved. After the match, they said they'll show “who's mighty” to build to their eventual match with TM-61.
- EC3 defeated Kassius Ohno
EC3 hit a TKO to win.
- Heavy Machinery & Big Boa defeated The Forgotten Sons (Wesley Blake & Steve Cutler) & Chad Lail
The crowd loved Heavy Machinery tonight. They won by hitting the Compactor.
- Ricochet defeated Christopher Dijak
Ricochet used a 630 to get the win. Velveteen Dream came out after the match to talk down Ricochet, saying "anything you can do, Dream can do better.” That prompted Ricochet to do a running dive over the top rope, landing on his feet and answering in Dream’s mic to prove it.
The crowd was loving this, and these two will meet at TakeOver: Chicago on June 16th.
- Bianca Belair defeated Aliyah
Belair used a new finisher where she hit a torture rack into a sit-out front slam.
- Aleister Black did an in-ring promo and was interrupted by Lars Sullivan, who delivered multiple Freak Accidents and held the NXT Championship above his head on the announce table.
- WWE United Kingdom Champion Pete Dunne defeated Kyle O'Reilly to retain his title
The crowd was on fire for this one. There was great work and Dunne ended it with the Bitter End.
The Undisputed Era and Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch both ran down and had a six-man brawl following the match. Dunne and Cole brawled to the back while Lorcan and Burch laid out the Tag Team Champions to end the tapings.