- WWE reality series to 'search for the next great female competitor'
- Roman Reigns playing The Rock's brother in Fast & Furious spinoff
- Minoru Suzuki added to Josh Barnett's Bloodsport
- Paige episode of WWE Chronicle to premiere after NXT TakeOver
- NXT San Diego live results: Rey Mysterio makes an appearance
- ROH Road to G1 Supercard Dallas results: Tag Wars begins
- AEW notes: Jungle Boy signed, Ticket Party announced
- Rush announced for next month's ROH shows
- WOL: Smackdown ratings, Rumble, Dr. Lucha interview, Jungle Boy, more! 1/25
- Wrestling Weekly: Rousey, ratings, Rumble & some great memories 1/25
- B&V&G: Granny, NXT, THURSDAY NIGHT POTPOURRI! 1/25
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: AEW roster starts to take shape
Plans for All Elite Wrestling started to come into focus at a rally in Jacksonville, Florida last Tuesday. A surprise appearance by Chris Jericho closed the event, with Jericho instantly becoming the highest profile signing AEW has made in its brief history. "I'm Chris Jericho, and I am all in with All Elite Wrestling," Jericho said to begin his speech. "Surprise -- I think we just took things to a different level, didn't we?" Jericho said he's not here with AEW for the money -- he's here because he believes in doing something new and different.
Our lead story in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer talks about Ronda Rousey and her WWE schedule including how long a time frame of when she has talked of stepping away.
Also, look at the top of the WrestleMania card and what major star isn't scheduled, and what other major star may be having his match changed.
Read the full preview of the Royal Rumble, with notes on ticket expectation, how the market is for all four WWE arena events in Phoenix this week, and the situation with John Cena.
Also, look at UFC's first show on ESPN, the Dillashaw vs. Cejudo aftermath, the Greg Hardy debut, the business notes on the show and what record was set as well as how streaming sign-ups destroyed any combat sport event in history, and match-by-match coverage.
Break down the latest Jon Jones drug test failure and why failing the test actually gives more credence to his story than if he had passed all of his tests.
Examine a fourth generation wrestler training at the Performance Center, what happened with The Revival, lots of WWE contract news, XFL President announced, XFL TV talks, and injury updates.
Look at the major hearing next week in Nevada, California's reaction and UFC's reaction to Jones' test failure.
This issue has a rundown of the final three nights of the Fantastica Mania tour, including why the third night was such an entertaining show, as well as an update on the talent in CMLL and the unique match that came from a movie.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell,CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
FRIDAY NEWS UPDATE
- Ronda Rousey spoke to ESPN about her future with WWE and wanting to start a family. “I honestly don't know why [anyone] feels like [they're] an authority to speak on the plans for my uterus. If I responded every single time the world speculated what I was doing with my womb I would not have a free moment in the day. I really don't feel like I should have to respond to that kind of thing. It's my vagina, my life, keep the speculations to yourself. Leave me and my reproductive organs alone,” Rousey said. "I've not kept it a secret that I would definitely want to start a family. But how do you go about doing that? I love this way more than I thought that I would. So do you just keep going until you just happen to get pregnant? Or should you stop and go try and get pregnant? Or is going and trying to get pregnant putting yourself on the spot and then you're less likely to get pregnant? I've never had a baby before, I don't know these kinds of things. It would be kind of cool to just keep acting and then one day, 'Hey, surprise twist, I'm pregnant.' That would be fun. There's a lot of things up in the air. A lot of decisions that we've gotta make as a family. I'm trying to figure it out as I go along."
- Roman Reigns posted on Instagram about his role playing The Rock’s brother in the Fast and the Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw: “Family Healing! I cannot thank my family, friends and my new FAST & FURIOUS FAMILY enough for all the love and support I have received while on this exciting HOBBS & SHAW project. The time I‘ve spent with my cousin on this wonderful island has truly been a healing grace. I am grateful to the @wwe @therock @universalpictures and everyone on the set of HOBBS & SHAW, for allowing me to be a part of this franchise. All of your outreach and support has been a blessing and it’s only pushed me to get back in the ring as soon as possible. But until then...I’m excited for this movie to premiere this summer, our culture and mana in this film is strong!”
- The Worlds Collide tournament special that’s airing on the WWE Network on Saturday, February 2 is listed in a two-hour time slot from 8-10 p.m. Eastern time. The 15-man tournament is being taped at Royal Rumble Axxess this weekend and features wrestlers from NXT, NXT UK, and 205 Live, with the winner getting a title shot of their choosing on either of those brands. Matches from the opening rounds will air on WWE.com, WWE's app, YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter starting at noon Eastern time on February 2.
- WWE released a teaser for the Chronicle episode on Paige that’s airing after NXT TakeOver: Phoenix tomorrow. A bonus clip of Charlotte Flair backstage at WrestleMania 34 from the WWE 24 episode that’s airing after the Royal Rumble has been uploaded. The WWE 24 episode focuses on last year’s WrestleMania.
- ESPN wrote about the testing that Daniel Bryan goes through after every match: “Daniel Bryan walks backstage after finishing a match, something he's done thousands of times over the course of his 19-year career. Instead of heading right to the locker room to shower and change before driving on to the next town, Bryan has to first take the number eight and multiply it by three, multiple that number by three and divide it all by four. If he can't come up with the correct answer, he's not wrestling. This is the cost that Bryan has to pay if he wants to wrestle for the WWE. It's just one of the tests a WWE doctor performs on Bryan after he's endured any physical activity in the ring. First, he gets his eyes checked. Next, he goes through a series of balance tests. And in the final step, as we've covered, the doctor asks Bryan to solve a math equation -- nothing too complicated, but something challenging enough to determine if his brain is functioning properly. The series of tests can be strenuous given that they occur night in and night out, but the WWE isn't taking any chances with a performer who has suffered 10 documented concussions.”
- Bryan made an in-character appearance on ABC15 in Phoenix to promote the Royal Rumble. Yahoo also has a story on Bryan ahead of the PPV.
- WWE posted video of Sasha Banks training with Charlotte Flair, Drew Gulak, and Oney Lorcan at the Performance Center and with Amazing Red at the House of Glory wrestling school ahead of her match against Ronda Rousey at the Royal Rumble.
- With the event taking place in San Diego, Rey Mysterio appeared at last night’s NXT house show, interrupted Kona Reeves as Reeves was insulting the city, and gave Reeves the 619.
- WWE has uploaded this year’s “Royal Rumble by the numbers” video.
- Artist Joe Jusko remade the 1991 Royal Rumble poster with some of today’s wrestlers.
- Finn Balor appeared on today’s episode of the Edge & Christian podcast.
- DJZ vs. Myron Reed has been added to MLW’s TV tapings at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia on February 2.
- Jay White is the guest on the latest episode of Talk is Jericho.
- Jonathan Gresham has launched a YouTube channel to spread knowledge of pure wrestling.
- After Jake Hager (Jack Swagger) said that CM Punk and Brock Lesnar didn’t want to get punched in the face in MMA and called it something he’s had to learn how to do in camp, Punk responded to Hager via Twitter: “You shouldn’t either. Good skill this weekend, pulling for you.”
- Dave Meltzer wrote a story on Hager ahead of Hager making his MMA debut for Bellator tomorrow.
- Alexander Gustafsson's team issued a statement on Jon Jones’ drug-test findings, calling the situation “an absolute mess.”
- Donald Cerrone wrote about potentially facing Conor McGregor: “Don’t worry @thenotoriousmma I’ll drink @properwhiskey at the Press Conference with ya!! Hell I’ll bring the @budweiser” McGregor then responded to him: “Sounds like a party!”
Daily Pro Wrestling History: WWE Royal Rumble 2015
Ed in San Antonio presents the Events for WRESTLEMANIA Weekend (more to be added):
- Sunday, April 6th, at 12:00 pm: Empire lunch (all you can eat) at Churrascaria Plataforma ($90 per person), located at 316 W. 49th street in Manhattan. Purchase tickets here~!
- Luxury Bus to MetLife Stadium for Wrestlemania: We will depart from the Hilton Midtown (site of Wrestlecon) located at 1335 Avenue of the Americas. Departure time is 4:00 pm and will return from MetLife approximately 30 mins after the event. Times are subject to change, and cost $67.00 per person for the round trip. Purchase tickets here~!
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!