- ROH Women's World Champion Rok-C part of WWE tryouts
- Finn Balor vs. Austin Theory, Miz TV announced for WWE Raw
- UFC on ESPN+ 57 live results: Derrick Lewis vs. Chris Daukaus
- WWE SmackDown spoilers for Christmas Eve episode
- WWE SmackDown video highlights: Roman Reigns fires Paul Heyman
- WWE 205 Live results: Sarray vs. Lash Legend
- Owen Hart Cup finals to take place at AEW Double or Nothing
- Dr. Britt Baker vs. Riho title match set for AEW Battle of the Belts
- Adam Cole vs. Orange Cassidy set for AEW Holiday Bash Dynamite
JOB LISTING: Wikipedia guru
- Do you have experience writing Wikipedia pages? Please contact Tony Leder at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Latest Free YouTube Video:
In this week's issue:
- How ROH came to be, its start, highs and lows, peak, legacy and perhaps its ending
- Match of the week and performers of the week
- A look at the three NJPW Wrestle Kingdom shows and details
- NJPW Best of the Super Juniors, World Tag League, and last major show of the year
- The voting, politics and results of the 2021 Tokyo Sports awards for Japanese pro wrestling
- History of every Japanese MVP of the last 48 years
- The sad story of Jimmy Rave
- Kevin Owens signs new WWE deal and a look back at his career
- Update on WWE Day One PPV and notable business
- Why WWE Raw may be struggling badly over the next month
- Updates on ticket sales for all major WWE and AEW events
- Those who have worked for AEW at WWE tryouts this week
- AEW Winter is Coming Danielson vs. Page, which type of viewers grew the most, which didn't, the realities of the rating and the ratings patterns of pro wrestling the last seven weeks
- Thoughts on Jon Huber and his wife's story
- Thoughts on AEW potential additions
- International TV ratings
- The audience of all shows over the past week, what is the pattern across the board and why the pattern is something ratings or even 18-49s don't tell you
- Thoughts on two incredible matches on the same day and compare and contrast Danielson vs. Page and Takahashi vs. YOH
- The beginning of Flair vs. Sting and the dozens of matches before the famous one in Greensboro
- UFC 269, where things go from here for the key stars, one of the biggest upsets, business numbers and what stats UFC on TV was strongest in, plus fight-by-fight notes
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
SATURDAY NEWS UPDATE
- Last night’s SmackDown averaged 2.21 million viewers in the fast national ratings, up from the 2.17 million viewers the show averaged in the fast nationals last week. The rating in the 18-49 demo was a 0.5. Last week was a rare case where the final viewership was down from the fast national viewership. It averaged 2.14 million viewers in the final ratings.
- NXT United Kingdom Champion Ilja Dragunov announced that he got married on Friday: “17.12.2021. Finally. Completely fulfilled.”
- WWE posted a photo gallery from this month’s Performance Center tryouts.
- WWE Shop has released a “Needle Mover” T-shirt for Roman Reigns.
- WWE Hall of Famers Steve Austin, Trish Stratus, and Rob Van Dam are all celebrating birthdays today. Austin turns 57, Stratus turns 46, and RVD turns 51.
- R-Truth was the guest on this week’s episode of the WWE After the Bell podcast.
- This week’s Talking Smack featured interviews with Sheamus & Ridge Holland, Toni Storm, and Drew McIntyre.
- WWE’s YouTube channel uploaded Asuka vs. Alexa Bliss from the January 1, 2018 episode of Raw, The New Age Outlaws vs. The Usos for the WWE Tag Team titles from the March 3, 2014 episode of Raw, and R-Truth & Carmella vs. Jinder Mahal & Alicia Fox in the Mixed Match Challenge finals from TLC 2018.
- After getting engaged in the ring at an AEW show this August, Sammy Guevara and his former fiancee Pam issued a statement announcing that they’re no longer in a relationship:
I know a lot of you have supported us for a long time and we have appreciated it so much over the past several years.
Since you've all given us so much love and support we figured we owed it to y'all to let you know that we are no longer in a relationship. We still love each other and wish nothing but the best for one another.
We would appreciate your kindness and respect to our privacy during this time. - Sam and Pam
- On his podcast, Arn Anderson said Hangman Page and Bryan Danielson’s 60-minute draw from this week’s Dynamite is the best match he’s seen in at least 25 years:
I sat there. Will Hobbs was between Brock and I. We sat down and there was no way I was going to miss this one. Bryan Danielson may be the best in the world because I looked at his cardio, I watched his pacing, I watched his thought process, the story he was telling, the physicality, giving and receiving. Everything you would want to see in a title match for an hour was there. They didn’t miss anything. I made sure when they came through that curtain, caught their breath for a second, and started up the hallway to their dressing room, and I don’t blow smoke very much because it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. It just doesn’t feel right. Sometimes you just do it to lift someone’s spirits. I told those two guys point blank, ‘It's the best match I’ve seen in at least 25 years.’ If anybody wants to combat me on that, I would love to hear their thoughts, but it had everything. Let me tell you something. Hangman held his end up.
I told them both they made me proud to be in the wrestling business. It was just as if one of my kids was out there. I don’t know Hangman very well because we just haven’t spent a lot of time together. Much respect for his work ethic. I do know Daniel Bryan. I was with him quite a lot at my previous employment. Even knowing kind of what I could expect, I had no idea they would shine like that. Guess what? Nobody lost in that match.
- AEW announced its latest set of roster rankings with Danielson still officially being the number one contender to Page’s AEW World Championship.
- Tony Khan posted three tweets responding to Fox News after the Fox News website posted an article with the headline “Jaguars' Urban Meyer drama, AEW excitement cooling off part of rough month for Khans.”
- During an appearance on The Wrestling Inc. Daily, Serena Deeb discussed having CM Punk in the AEW locker room:
I love it, I totally love it. We have a great relationship, we obviously go back a long way and we did some really good business together over the years. I met Punk in, I want to say 2005 at OVW when he first reported there and Paul Heyman was booking the show and Punk was his guy.
Punk was the driving force behind getting me to Shimmer for the first time, which at the time was, as a female wrestler, that was the indie that you aspire to go to because that was the best. From Shimmer that got me to Ring of Honor. Punk really guided me and really helped support me in getting to all these places before WWE.
- Chris Dickinson gave an update on his recovery from hip surgery: “Upon examining my xrays today my doctor said ‘this is an accelerated process’ I replied with I’M AN ACCELERATED HUMAN. Thankfully the surgeons did such a great job there isn’t even a visible line of where the fracture was and @wcwcrowbar PT regimen is working tremendously. Not like I ain’t been workin but without giving away too much in just a short time to be safe the real work will begin and I know my timeline. The clock is ticking … LFG”
- Game Changer Wrestling uploaded a promo where Matt Cardona & Chelsea Green claimed that they’re quitting GCW after losing to Effy & Allie Katch last night.
- Moose vs. Alex Coughlin and Liiza Hall vs. Janai Kai have been announced for Terminus’ debut show in Atlanta on Sunday, January 16.
- The most recent episode of Talk is Jericho features one of Jimmy Rave’s last interviews before his passing.
- Jake Hager appeared on this week’s edition of AEW Unrestricted.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Daniel Bryan wins World title at TLC 2011
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today