There was a pretty wild press conference today for UFC 199. It was all about the two title fights and a continuation over what started the night before on UFC Tonight. It was noted that this show in Los Angeles has four California based fighter in two title matches now with Luke Rockhold (Santa Cruz/San Jose), Michael Bisping (Los Angeles), Cruz (San Diego) and Urijah Faber (Sacramento). It is possible after next week that Northern California would have three different world champions, as well as the NBA & NHL champion. Granted, I expect of the five, two of them are unlikely right now with the Sharks down 2-0 and Faber against Cruz.
The big news at the press conference was Luke Rockhold, after Bisping used lady body parts to describe him and claiming over and over that he turned down fighting Jacare Souza (not exactly accurate but it was a weird storyline for Bisping to take because it made him come across a lesser contender than Souza) where Rockhold admitted that he has a torn MCL. That rumor has been going around and Bisping said he knew Rockhold had a weak knee. Rockhold also admitted that he had done no grappling training in camp but still was taking the fight.
We're looking for reports tonight from the NXT shows in Evansville, IN and Tampa to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
SMACKDOWN TONIGHT ON USA
- Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch non-title
- R-Truth & Goldust vs. Dudleys
- Dean Ambrose & Sami Zayn vs. Alberto Del Rio & Kevin Owens
- Rusev vs. Jack Swagger non-title
- Kofi Kingston vs. A.J. Styles
NEW JAPAN LIVE FROM TOKYO KORAKUEN HALL FRIDAY AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TIME ON NEW JAPAN WORLD
- Volador Jr. & Ricochet & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Tomohiro Ishii & Trent Baretta & Will Ospreay
- Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Katsuyori Shibata & Juice Robinson & Jay White & Bobby Fish
- David Finlay vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Rocky Romero vs. Gedo
- Satoshi Kojima & Michael Elgin & Yoshitatsu & Captain New Japan vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
- Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & Yoshi-Hashi vs. Tetsuya Naito & Seiya Sanada & Evil
- Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Bushi
- Kushida vs. Matt Sydal
Friday night has these shows we're looking for reports from:
*WWE in Odessa, TX (Roman Reigns, A.J. Styles, Seth Rollins, Albeto De Rio, Charlotte, Rusev, Usos, Kalisto, Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro, Baron Corbin)
*NXT in Nashville
*NXT in Crystal River, FL
*ROH in Collinsville, IL (Jay Briscoe & War Machine vs. Jay Lethal & Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian, Adam Cole vs. Kamaitachi, Roderick Strong vs. Silas Young vs. Stevie Richards vs. Moose)
NEW JAPAN WORLD FRIDAY NIGHT ON AXS TV AT 8 P.M. FOR A TWO HOUR SPECIAL
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Tetsuya Naito
- A.J. Styles vs. Kota Ibushi
- Katsuyori Shibata vs. Togi Makabe
- Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- Michael Elgin vs. Tomoaki Honma
- Yuji Nagata vs. Karl Anderson
LUCHA LIBRE WORLD CLUB FRIDAY NIGHT FROM PUEBLA ON IPPV AT www.Internetvluchalibreworldcup.tv
CMLL FROM ARENA MEXICO AT 9:30 P.M. EASTERN TIME AT www.clarosportscom/en-vivo02/
- Shockercito & Ultimo Dragoncito vs. Pequeno Olimpico & Pequeno Violencia
- Fuego & Pegasso & Triton vs. Fujin & Raijin (Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu & Okumura
- Estrellita & Marcela & Princesa Sugei vs. Amapola & Dallys & Zeuxis
- Rey Cometa & Stuka Jr. & Titan vs. Cavernario & Felino & Mr Niebla
- La Mascara vs. Pierroth
- Atlantis & Marco Corleone & Valiente vs. Negro Casas & Shocker & Ultimo Guerrero
Saturday night we're looking for reports from:
*WWE in Lubbock, TX (Roman Reigns, A.J. Styles, Seth Rollins, Alberto Del Rio, Charlotte, Rusev, Usos, Kalisto, Dolph Ziggler, Baron Corbin, Cesaro)
*WWE in Tulsa (Kane, Big Show, Dean Ambrose, Kevin Owens, Paige, Enzo, Cass, Dudleys, Apollo Crews, Sheamus, New Day, Erick Rowan, Braun Strowman)
*NXT in Atlanta at Center Stage
*NXT in Fort Pierce, FL.
*ROH in Indianapolis at the Harvest Pavilion (Adam Cole & Adam Page vs. Chris Sabin & Alex Shelley, Jay Lethal vs. Mark Briscoe non-title, Moose vs. Jay Briscoe, Roderick Strong vs. Kamaitachi vs. Jason Kincaid vs. ACH vs. Lio Rush vs. Will Ferrara)
UFC 199 FROM THE FORUM IN LOS ANGELES
Fight Pass at 6:15 p.m.
- Maestro Dong Hyun Kim vs. Polo Reyes
- Kevin Casey vs. Elvis Mutapcic
- Luiz Henrique da Silv vs. Jonathan Wilson
- Tom Breese vs. Sean Strickland
FS 1 at 8 p.m.
- Jessica Andrade vs. Jessica Penne
- Beneil Dariush vs. James Vick
- Clay Guida vs. Brian Ortega
- Alex Caceres vs Cole Miller
PPV at 10 p.m.
- Dustin Poirier vs. Bobby Green
- Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard
- Max Holloway vs. Ricardo Lamas
- Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber for bantamweight title
- Luke Rockhold vs. Michael Bisping for middleweight title
NEW JAPAN WORLD SUNDAY AT 3 A.M. EASTERN TIME FROM GUNMA
- Ryusuke Taguchi & Jay White vs. Yoshi-Hashi & Rocky Romero
- Yuji Nagata & Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Manabu Nakanishi & David Finlay & Kyle O'Reilly vs. Katsuyori Shibata & Kushida & Juice Robinson & Captain New Japan & Matt Sydal
- Tiger Mask vs. Trent Baretta
- Will Ospreay vs. Jushin Liger
- Bobby Fish vs. Chase Owens
- Ricochet vs. Volador Jr.
- Satoshi Kojima & Michael Elgin & Yoshitatsu vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
- Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii & Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito & Evil & Seiya Sanada & Bushi
LUCHA LIBRE WORLD CUP SUNDAY FROM PALACIO DE LOS DEPORTES IN MEXICO CITY ON IPPV AT www.internetvluchalibreworld.cup.tv
Sunday we're looking for reports from:
*WWE in Amarillo (Roman Reigns, A.J. Styles, Seth Rollins, Alberto Del Rio, Charlotte, Rusev, Usos, Kalisto, Dolph Ziggler, Baron Corbin, Cesaro)
*WWE in Lawton, OK (Kane, Big Show, Dean Ambrose, Kevin Owens, Paige, Enzo, Cass, Dudleys, Apollo, Crews, Sheamus, New Day, Erick Rowan, Braun Strowman)
*ROH in Columbus, OH at the Ohio Expo Building (Jay Briscoe vs. Roderick Strong, Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian defend the tag title against War Machine, Adam Cole vs. Lio Rush, Dalton Castle vs. Kamaitachi)
NEW JAPAN WORLD MONDAY AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TIME FROM SENDAI (English language commentary)
- Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto & Yoshi-Hashi vs. Tetsuya Naito & Seiya Sanada & Evil
- Volador Jr. vs. Will Ospreay
- Ricochet vs. Chase Owens
- Bobby Fish vs. Tiger Mask
- Jushin Liger vs. Trent Baretta
- Matt Sydal vs. David Finlay
- Kyle O'Reilly vs. Rocky Romero
- Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Gedo
- Kushida vs. Bushi
Raw will be Monday in Oklahoma City. John Cena, Seth Rollins and Chris Jericho are all booked on the show along with the usual regulars.
NEW JAPAN WORLD TUESDAY AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TIME FROM SENDAI (English language commentary)
- Best of the Super Juniors championship match
Smackdown and Main Event will be taped on Tuesday in Wichita. John Cena is not scheduled but Seth Rollins and Chris Jericho are scheduled.
- Dana White: No Rousey on MSG show, McGregor vs. Diaz rematch might not happen
- TUF 23 recap: Party bus, Boyz II Men reference & a fight
- Cody Rhodes heading to Evolve, NXT debut, NBA star's dad prefers RAW to watching son
- NJPW Best of the Super Juniors results: Taguchi vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- WWE Smackdown spoilers: AJ Styles vs. Kofi Kingston
If you've ever wanted to WATCH our radio shows here on the site, check out our Youtube page! No full video shows, but lots of video clips, full free audio shows that you can tell your friends about, and much more to come! Make sure you subscribe today!
Figure Four Weekly 5/30/2016: Big Vito's deposition - If you thought Evan Singleton's deposition went badly for the plaintiffs in the WWE concussion lawsuit, then that appears to be nothing compared to what happened a week later during Vito LoGrasso's deposition on May 18th. Given the back and forth over LoGrasso claiming that head injuries caused partial deafness when, in the past, he had spoken of having a hearing impairment since birth, the deposition promised to be interesting. It over-delivered.
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
A huge double issue of the Observer is out this week, including the real catalyst behind the WWE brand split, a breakdown of the roster, justice denied again in the Jimmy Snuka case, Ricochet vs. Will Ospreay and the Super Juniors tournament plus a full rundown, the story behind Bill Goldberg and the WWE video game and the Brock Lesnar tease, famous boxer vs. pro wrestler fights, WWE schedule and injury rates, business rundowns from the past two months for WWE & TNA, updates on cable stations that carry wrestling and MMA, and one of the greatest territorial business runs in history in the life and career of Cowboy Frankie Laine.
Our lead story looks at the WWE brand split, why it happened, what is known that isn't a secret, ads out post brand split, plans for the split two months ago and what the ad department was told then, what different arenas have been told this week, thoughts behind decisions having too be made, plus a roster rundown on what positions WWE is strong and weak in, and where NXT talent should fit in and who is ready, or who can fill a slot.
There is also an update on the Jimmy Snuka situation, with a realistic view if there will be a trial and what the time frame is and what happens next.
This issue also looks at the Will Ospreay vs. Ricochet match, Vader's reaction, Super Juniors standings and rundowns of the shows plus looking at where things are going.
Updates on Money in the Bank, stars returning to television soon, how the NBA & NHL playoffs coincide with wrestling the next two weeks, an update on NXT, lots of WWE performers off TV for the next several weeks, notes from lawsuit depositions that are eye opening, Cena getting a gigantic endorsement deal, Rollins return news, injury updates, lots of Dwayne Johnson news, WrestleMania in the future notes, notes on how little talent gets told in advance about things, who watches what on WWE network, plus we've got rundowns of every WWE & NXT events over the past week and business notes on the shows, all included in in this issue.
You can also order the print Observer right now and get it delivered to your door via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer.
You can also order print issues at www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the United States, it is $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can get one free classic issue of your choice sent to you today. With a 40-issue subscription, you can get two free classic issues.
Check out the latest online Wrestling Observer BACK ISSUE: April 26, 1999 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Davy Boy Smith recovering in the hospital, UFC to be sanctioned by Nevada State Athletic Commission, more. This past week has seen Davey Boy Smith, going stir crazy in a Calgary Hospital, attempt to start battling back after the worst year in his life.
THURSDAY'S NEWS UPDATE
One thing I want to mention about the Jimmy Snuka case ruling is that the judge changed the date of the ruling without letting anyone know, most notably the two sisters of Nancy Argentino who have pushed for investigation and prosecution of this case for 33 years. This enabled the judge to announce the ruling without them in the court room.
Time Magazine has a piece on Dwayne Johnson possibly running for President.
In the Best of the Super Junior tournament from earlier today in Nagoya
Volador Jr. (3-2) beat Chase Owens (2-3)
Jushin Liger (3-2) beat Tiger Mask (2-3)
Will Ospreay (2-3) beat Bobby Fish (2-3)
Ricochet (4-1) beat Trent Baretta (2-3)
Our annual web site convention takes place 7/7 to 7/10 in Las Vegas. Among the activities is all you can eat steak at Texas de Brazil, $72 per person on Thursday night and a $39 lunch at 2 p.m. on Friday at Buca de Beppo at the Excalibur. Payments can be sent for reserving those two events via paypal by 7/1 to SRJAIALAIOT@yahoo.com. Mention what you are ordering. Details of other weekend activity in conjunction with UFC 200 is on the Facebook page searching for 10th annual F4W convention and on the message board in the Empire Get Together section.
David Schultz, the subject of three movies and documentaries over the past year regarding his murder, as well as coach Bill Farrell, referee Rick Tucci and administrator Joe Scalzo are to be inducted into the World Wrestling Hall of fame in a ceremony on 8/12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, before the start of the Olympic wrestling competition.
TNA Impact on Tuesday night did 346,000 viewers. It was down from last week, but well up from what the show had been doing when it aired twice instead of once.
- The second Smackdown taping after the brand split will be 7/26 from Buffalo. There is a presale going on right now with the code word: SMACKDOWN
- A very interesting business article on WWE's decisions to release video and cannibalize ratings can be read here.
- WWE stock closed up seven cents per share today at $17.79.
- Here is a story on Carmella talking about her days as a cheerleader for the New England Patriots.
- A story on Bayley and this week's NXT show in Nashville is here.
- For the first time, UFC will be doing early weigh-ins. The actual weigh-ins will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow. There will be a public weigh-in where the fighters will appear and their weigh-in weights announced that will be televised at 7 p.m. Eastern time. Fighters will pose and square off and do interviews, but the weights that will be read will be from earlier in the day. It will air on FS 1. The idea is this allows fighters several more hours to rehydrate. Of course it also allows them several more hours to get to a weight far beyond the actual fighting weight. Most fighters are happy about it because once they get to weight, they can weigh in, rather than wait for the weigh-ins without being able to eat or drink.
- Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes will lead more than 100 motorcycles riding from the Los Angeles Harley Davidson dealership to UFC Fan Village on Saturday before the show. Fan Village will be at the Forum at West Manchester Blvd.
- Glenn Robinson, who funded the Blackzillians team's main business as being a tool manufacturer has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Florida with more than $10 million in debts.
- The WWN pro wrestling group is looking for MMA fighters of Chinese, South Korean or other Asian American fighters for work at help@WWNLive.com.
- Cody Rhodes gets another one off his bucket list as he's facing Mike Bennett on the 8/26 Northeast Wrestling show outdoors at Wahconah Park in Pittsfield, MA.
- NWA Classics has changed its name to NWAOnDemand.com and is offering one week free. The web site is mostly old Houston matches from the Paul Boesch tape library. Among the matches they have include Harley Race defending the NWA title against Rick Martel, Jumbo Tsuruta, El Halcon and Gino Hernandez, AWA champion Nick Bockwinkel against Bruiser Brody, Dusty Rhodes and Ricky Morton, Midnight Express vs Rock & Roll Express, Andre the Giant, David Von Erich vs. The Spoiler, Dick Slater vs. Mongolian Stomper, Gino Hernandez & Tully Blanchard as a tag, Von Erichs, Magnum T.A., Mr. Wrestling II, Ken Patera, Jose Lothario, Superstar Billy Graham and much more.
- Chris Hero will be raising money for the CPRI Treatment Center in London, ONT for children with a variety of mental health issues on 7/9. The event will be at the Fort Ernie Native Friendship Center at 796 Buffalo Rd. at 7 p.m.
- Here is an ACH interview with The Sporting News talking his sometimes mistaken personality, growing up in the ROH locker room, his recent matches against New Japan stars and his hope of working for the promotion, possibly going to WWE and who he would like to face at theJune 24 Best in the World '16 PPV.
- Here is an update on Jake Roberts.
- A story on Tom Prichard coming to the U.K. and training wrestlers in Liverpool can be read here,
- Here is a cool history of pro wrestling at the Palisades in McKeesport, PA from the days before Bruno Sammartino to the modern era.
- Chase Owens has pulled out of his 6/24 date in Elizabethton, TN for NWA Smoky Mountain Wrestling due to international commitments. Toby Farley will take his place and team with Buff Bagwell against Jordan Kage & Chris Richards. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall will make appearances on the show.
- Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore promotion has shows on 6/24 in East Burnwood, Victoria, Australia at the Whitehorse Club with Dreamer, Mickie James, Carlito, MVP and Lisa Marie Varon; 8/6 in Pasadena, TX at the Convention Center with an afternoon convention; and 9/17 at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia with an afternoon convention and a show at night. They will also run 9/16 in St. James, NY at the Sports Arena.
- Fusion Wrestling from Saturday night in Warsaw, VA: Dirty Money b Jefferson Early, Aden Chambers & Brandon Day b Brutal Bob Evans & Tim Hughes, Jimmy Valiant & Ricky Morton & Preston Quinn b Christian Tarr & Outlaw Ink, Victor Griff b Memphis Mofo, Lee Valiant b Arik Royal, MVP b Kongo. Ricky Steamboat also appeared on the show. Next show is 8/6 in Warsaw, VA.
- Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling on 6/25 in Vancouver at the Russian Community Centre as well as 7/16 in Vancouver at the Commodore Ballroom.
- Destiny Wrestling with Jeff Jarrett, Kongo Kong, Jennifer Blake, Moose and Santino Marella (as referee) has a TV taping for Fibe TV1 at Marella's Don Kolov Arena at his gym in Mississauga, ONT.
- Pure Wrestling Association on 7/9 in Kitchener, ONT at the Alpine Club.
- Northeast Wrestling on 6/4 in Hickory, NC at the LP Frans Stadium with appearances by Ric Flair and Magnum T.A. plus The Hardys will be wrestling on the show.
- Legacy Fighting Championship on 7/22 from Lake Charles, LA at the Golden Nugget headlined by Robert Drysdale (6-0), the BJJ expert against Ryan Spann (9-2) for the light heavyweight title. The show will air live on AXS that night at 10 p.m. Eastern time.
- All Star Wrestling on 6/17 in Garibaldi Highlands, BC at the Totem Hall.
- Al Snow vs. Hannibal for the Canadian title plus a women's match and a Battle Royal on Saturday night in Smiths Falls, ONT for Great North Wrestling.
- Pro Wrestling Phoenix from last night in Omaha: Paul Daniels b Mad Dog McDowell, Joey Daniels b Ajax Adams, Cuco Santiago b Zac James, Dalton Lee Roth b Purple, Con Artiest b Robert Storm, Branden Juarez b Pat Powers. Next show is 7/29 in Omaha at the Waiting Room Lounge with Sonjay Dutt.
- An Al Snow interview can be seen here.
- June 4 - UFC 199 from the Forum in Los Angeles with Michael Bisping getting his first title opportunity of his career battling Luke Rockhold for the middleweight belt
- June 4 - In celebration of Metro Pro's Sixth Anniversary, Demolition (Ax & Smash) will be in action on Saturday, Turner Recreation Center in Kansas City, Kansas. The event address is: 831 S. 55th St., Kansas City, KS 66106 - Tickets can be bought in advance.
- June 5 - AAA's Victoria World Cup men and women's trio tournament finals at Los Palacio de los Deportes in Mexico City which will be a live iPPV show
- June 7 - New Japan Best of the Super Juniors finals from Sendai live on New Japan World
- June 8 - NXT Takeover from Full Sail University in Winter Park, FL featuring Samoa Joe vs. Finn Balor in a cage match plus a loaded lineup that includes American Alpha vs. The Revival and probably Shinsuke Nakamura vs Austin Aries, which could be WWE's match of the month.
- June 11 - NECW presents the 2016 IRON 8 Championship, Saturday Night, June 11 in Wakefield, MA
- June 12 - TNA Slammiversary headlined by Drew Galloway vs. Bobby Lashley for the TNA title from Orlando
- June 12 - Revolution Pro Wrestling in London, England headlined by Kurt Angle vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
- June 17 - AAW “Killers Among Us” features Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Johnny Gargano, Drago vs. Chris Hero, and more at 115 Bourbon Street (3359 w 115th Street Merrionette Park, IL) All Ages Event - Tickets available.
- June 18 - UFC in Ottawa: Rory McDonald vs. Stephen Thompson
- June 18 - New England Fights (NEF) returns to the Androscoggin Bank Colisée in Lewiston, Maine with "NEF 24: PROMISED LAND." Tickets for “NEF 24” are on sale now.
- June 19 - New Japan Dominion, one of the company's biggest events of the year, featuring Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada in an IWGP title match and Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi in a ladder match for the IC title
- June 19 - WWE Money in the Bank from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas
- June 24 - ROH Best in the World from Concord, NC with Jay Lethal vs. Jay Briscoe for the ROH title
- June 25 - Ultima Lucha tapings in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles at The Temple
- June 26 - Ultima Lucha tapings in Boyle Heights, Los Angeles at The Temple
- July 7-11 The 10th annual Wrestling Observer/F4W convention in Las Vegas, EdinSanAntonio has all the information up on Facebook, or email him at F4Wfan@hotmail.com.
Today in Professional Wrestling History: Hulk Hogan wins IWGP Tournament; Honky Tonk Man begins I-C title run