Skip to main content

Ric Flair says he 'passed out twice' during Last Match

Flair opened up about the match during an episode of To Be The Man.

Ric Flair says he passed out twice due to dehydration during his Last Match. 

Flair opened up about his experience on the pay-per-view during his most recent edition of the To Be The Man podcast. 

"I don't think people realize that I passed out twice," Flair said to Conrad Thompson on the show. 

"What happened was, my regimentation for training was so strict that I kept my weight on. I wanted my perfect weight to be like 220lbs going in. So, the last day and a half, aside from all the work that we had planned for me to do, I didn't hydrate cause I had it in my mind that I had to weigh 219lbs. So anyway, I went to the ring at about 217lbs. What happened during the body of the match, I just became dehydrated."

"While I was standing on the apron, I looked at Jay which started the whole wheel of motion. I said, 'Man, I think I'm getting sick because I was getting lightheaded, nothing to do with my heart, nothing to do with my intestines, just getting lightheaded."

"I'm sure a lot of it was nerves as well. I think Jay said, 'we got to move this along,' and that isn't what I meant but to the point where Manny (Andrade) came over and said, 'your turn sir, your turn sir, your turn sir' and so I got in but I didn't know where we were in the match because I had missed about, clearly like 10 seconds of it."

He would continue to talk about a moment in the match where he was to be superplexed from the turnbuckle. Flair said it was Jarrett's decision to not go through with the move. 

"Jeff, out of respect for me, he lifted me atop the turnbuckle and Jay was going to give me a superplex, which would have blown the roof off the joint but he was worried about my health. Jeff, sincerely, he said, 'we can't do that Naitch, we can't do it again,' so anyway, rather than look awkward, I came down with him, then Jay came in and gave me the suplex and we were back rolling."

Flair said he passed out for a second time during the match after Jarrett went to hit him with a guitar. Jarrett would miss and hit Lethal, but Flair says he passed out again shortly after the spot. 

"Then along came the guitar, right down bingo, don't know. While I was down, I passed out again. I just passed out. Manny is going, 'sir, you have to wake up, I have the brass knuckles, sir, you have to wake up.' So then I woke up, I knew where we were right, boom and we're home."

"I swear to god twice during the match, I went completely black," he continued. 

"My hand started trembling, yeah, but it was all dehydration. I had two doctors in there right away with me and everything. The Undertaker came running in and said - I had six beers there - he took them out of my hand and said, 'you're drinking two Gatorades first,' I said, 'Gatorade?' So, I drank two and that was that's all it was. I underestimated the importance of keeping hydrated, which is really big especially when I lost that much weight and trained that hard."

Flair also revealed that the reason he has a pacemaker is not because of a heart issue, but rather that he has a low resting heart rate. 

"My pacemaker isn't there because I have a heart issue, my pacemaker is there because my resting heart rate before I even got sick and has been for years, like 38, which drives people crazy but it's from all the years of cardio and all the hour broadways." 

Flair also revealed that he was texted by AEW's Tony Khan after the event. 

"I got the nicest text from Tony Khan in the world. [He] congratulated me on everything, explaining why he wasn't there."

"My relationship with Tony Khan is great, I think my relationship with WWE is great. I got texts from everybody in the world that means anything to me and probably people you'd be shocked to hear from. Randy Orton sent me something, I started crying, that nice."

"I'm the luckiest son of a b***h alive to have all this going on. I'm 73 guys, most people thought I'd be dead. Angelo Mosco told me when I was 24 if I lived to 30 I'd be overstaying my welcome. So 43 years later, I'm just so thankful for the opportunity."