In a #1 Contender's Match, Enzo Amore & Colin Cassidy defeated The Lucha Dragons
We start things this week with a certifide G and a bona fide stud, along with a guy who is 7 feet tall. I hear through the grapevine that these are things you cannot be taught. Anyhoo they are going two on two with the recent Main Event stars: the Lucha Dragons. The Jersey Boys left Carmella in the back allegedly to concentrate more on the match. I think it's because they finally realized what a detriment she is to the team.
Enzo hit a punch to the face, which may be the first bit of offense he has ever scored. Big Cass tagged in and threw Enzo into Cara and then body slammed him on top of Huni-Cara for a 2 count. Kalisto tagged in and went all Lucha on Enzo, including a headscissors into a face plant. The Dragons went for their double suicide dive on their foes, but Colin shoved Enzo out of the way and took all the dive.
Despite that Colin dragged Enzo to the corner for a hot tag, hit the Catatonic and threw Enzo off the top rope with a big splash on Kalisto for the win!
- Next week: NXT on the road in Columbus, Ohio with Kevin Owens vs Alex Riley. The problem with that is they aired a promo that Owens isn't cutting until later tonight. Plus the whole story was Mr. Regal wasn't giving Riley a match with Owens until he proved himself against CJ Parker.
- A video package for Alex Riley aired, showing him on the original NXT, beating The Miz that one time and celebrating.
Alexa Bliss pinned Carmella
Carmella came out and got booed. I always love that Enzo gets the super baby face reaction, Colin gets a meh reaction (or sometimes gets a little pop by being associated with Enzo) and then Carmella gets booed. Alexa has traded in the blue gear for purple gear, which doesn't look as good with the blue streaks in her hair.
This match was nothing special, it just went a little too long. It was meant to build up Alexa's title match next week and I am not sure if it did it's job. Carmella took 95% of the match and Bliss' offense didn't look too good when she got to do something. She did hit a wacky flipping splash off the top rope, called the Sparkle Splash, for the win.
- Earlier today Alex Riley said that he's been locked in a cage for the last two years, starving and watching everyone else eating. His promo went back and forth between comparing himself to a hungry animal in a cage and someone who loves this business. He probably should have thought out what he was going to say ahead of time.
- Tyler Breeze cut a promo on his HD broadcast quality cell phone saying he is going to beat Hideo Itami tonight.
Alex Riley pinned CJ Parker
I don't remember the last time Parker won a match. He may never have won on the Network, so Riley at least has someone of equal quality. Riley's titantron now says “RAGE”. Remember Andy Levine, who was the dude who won the Steve Austin Tough Enough (and was never seen again) and his nickname was Silent Rage? I don't know what made me think of that.
Riley looked like he just got out of the shower and that he just got done having a good cry. I once saw a Heath Slater-Alex Riley match taped for Superstars back in 2012 that was just the most boring match in the history of WWE, so this match is at least a step up. A-Ry hit a splash and the man who managed the heel in the main event of WrestleMania XXVII won with a Buff Blockbuster.
-Kevin Owens came out after the match and said he is going to end Riley's in-ring career and then an end to the rise of Finn Balor. I feel like I already heard this promo...
Tyler Breeze pinned Hideo Itami
This is their third meeting in the last month, with Itami winning at Takeover and then again the following week. The whole reason for this feud is Itami pinned Tyler (yes a third time) during the #1 Contender's Tournament back in January. Jason Albert, who really is the worst announcer in WWE, said Breeze is mad because he never got a one-on-one title shot. Spoiler alert: he did. He took on Neville and it ended in a disqualification when Tyson Kidd interfered.
The fans entertained themselves by chanting “Hideo's gorgeous” and “Breeze is cratchet”. They built on their previous matches, with Breeze constantly avoiding Hideo's kicks and then was able to hit the Super Model Kick for a near fall. Hideo did make his comeback, hit all his kicks, but Breeze rolled out of the way of the corner dropkick. Breeze then hit the Beauty Shot for the win!
- That does it for this week. Not mentioned at all, but the Owens-Balor match is 2 weeks away. But until next week, remember to say your vitamins and take your prayers!