The Latest from the F4W Staff
- Impact Wrestling results: Low Ki makes his return
- Vader briefly collapses after match in Japan
- TakeOver Chicago card takes shape at NXT TV tapings
- reDRagon set to reunite at PWG's Head Like a Cole
- NXT TV taping spoilers: The build to TakeOver Chicago
- WOL: Ronda Rousey engagement, Simon Gotch, Mick Foley, Dr. Lucha, more! 4/21
- Wrestling Weekly: Remembering Doc Young and Matt Anoa'i 4/21
- JNPO: MMA Junkie's Mike Bohn on UFC Nashville and NBA playoffs 4/21
- B&V&G: Raw, NXT from Full Sail, Starrcade 84 part 2, Granny, more! 4/21
- WOR: Pete Gas talks his new book! 4/20
A lot of stuff happening this weekend, but no major shows or polls. This is the last weekend with WWE using the old rosters on the house shows. They will be in effect from the show tonight until Sunday, and Sunday is the last day of using the old rosters.
We're looking for reports on tonight's WWE Raw brand house show in Rapid City, SD, NXT in Crystal River, FL and Impact tapings in Orlando to email@example.com.
NEW JAPAN WORLD PRO WRESTLING RETURNS TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. EASTERN ON AXS TV
- Michael Elgin vs. Tetsuya Naito for the IC title
HOUSE OF HARDCORE TONIGHT AT 8 P.M. IN METCHUEN, NJ ON FLO SLAM
- Brian Cage vs. MVP
- Sami Callihan vs. Bully Ray
- Tommy Dreamer vs. Broken Matt Hardy street fight
Also appearing: Bull James, The Spirit Squad, Alex Reynolds, Guido Maritato, Sandman and Velvet Sky
BELLATOR TONIGHT AT 9 P.M. EASTERN & PACIFIC ON SPIKE
- A.J. McKee (146) vs. Dominic Mazzotta (146)
- Saad Awad (164.5) vs. Ryan Quinn (164.5)
- Tyrell Fortune (244.5) vs. Branko Busick (220)
- Ed Ruth (185.5) vs. David Mundell (184.25)
- Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (126) vs. Jessica Middleton (126)
- Daniel Straus (145) vs. Patricio Pitbull Freire (144) for the featherweight title
LEGACY FIGHTING ALLIANCE TONIGHT FROM THE MASSARI ARENA IN PUEBLO, COLORADO AT 9 P.M. EASTERN ON AXS TV
- Cody Yohn (3-1, 170.6) vs. Mike Jones (4-2, 170.6)
- Maikel Perez (3-0, 135.4) vs. Adam Martinez (3-1, 135.4)
- Andrew Tenneson (5-1, 144.6) vs. Andrew Yates (9-2, 145)
- Slobodan Maksimovic (12-5-1, 155.8) vs. Dominic Montoya (7-0, 134.2)
- Jerome Rivera (6-0, 135) vs. Zac Riley (5-3, 135)
- Nick Urso (9-3, 125.8) vs. Brandon Royal (5-2, 125.8)
- Luca Rota (12-6, 185.2) vs. Ian Heinisch (7-0, 185)
CMLL TONIGHT AT ARENA MEXICO AT 9:30 P.M.
- Flyer & Robin vs. Canelo Casas & Espanto Jr.
- Drone & Fuego & Rey Cometa vs. Nitro & Raziel & Virus
- Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Luciferno
- Blue Panther Jr, Esfinge, Magnus, Stigma, Star Jr., Sanson, Forastero and Artillero in the Copa Juniors Block B
- Diamante Azul & Stuka Jr. & Valiente vs. Pierroth & Sam Adonis & Mr. Niebla
- Caristico & Dragon Lee & Volador Jr. vs. Cavernario Barbaro & La Mascara & Negro Casas
PRO WRESTLING GUERRILLA TONIGHT IN RESEDA, CA
- Rey Fenix vs. Lio Rush
- Jeff Cobb vs. Keith Lee
- Adam Cole vs. Matt Riddle
- Michael Elgin vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Young Bucks vs. War Machine
- Chuck Taylor vs. Marty Scurll street fight
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Dick Togo
NEW JAPAN AT KORAKUEN HALL LIVE ON NEW JAPAN WORLD SATURDAY MORNING AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TIME
- Hirai Kawato vs. Shota Umino
- Yoshi-Hashi vs. Tomoyuki Oka
- Toru Yano & Jado vs. Takashi Iizuka & Taka Michinoku
- Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa & Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay & Katsuya Kitamura
- Hirooki Goto & Will Ospreay & Rocky Romero & Baretta vs. Minoru Suzuki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi & Desperado
- Tetsuya Naito & Seiya Sanada & Evil & Hiromu Takahashi & Bushi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Juice Robinson & Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet & Yoshitatsu
- Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale
For Saturday, we're looking for reports on the Impact tapings in Orlando, Raw is Bismark, ND, Smackdown in Kalamazoo, MI and House of Hardcore in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT FROM THE BRIDGESTONE ARENA IN NASHVILLE SATURDAY
Fight Pass at 6:30 p.m. Eastern time
- Hector Sandoval (125.5) vs. Matt Schnell (126)
- Bryan Barbarena (170) vs. Joe Proctor (170)
- Cindy Dandois (135) vs. Alexis Davis (134.5)
FS 2 at 8 p.m. Eastern
- Jessica Penne (115) vs. Danielle Taylor (115)
- Scott Holtzman (156) vs. Michael McBride (155.5)
- Brandon Moreno (125) vs. Dustin Ortiz (124.5)
- Sam Alvey (184) vs. Thales Leites (186)
FS 1 at 10 p.m. Eastern
- Jake Ellenberger (170.5) vs. Mike Perry (170)
- Joe Lauzon (155.5) vs. Stevie Ray (156)
- John Dodson (135) vs. Eddie Wineland (135)
- Marcos Rogerio de Lima (210) vs. Ovince Saint Preux (206)
- Al Iaquinta (154.5) vs. Diego Sanchez (155.5)
- Artem Lobov (145) vs. Cub Swanson (145)
de Lima was fined 30 percent of his purse for missing weight, which will go to Saint Preux for accepting the fight against someone who outweighed him by that much. The fine was 30 percent because de Lima has missed weight before and they are getting stricter with fines on this.
HOUSE OF HARDCORE ON SATURDAY NIGHT IN PHILADELPHIA AT THE 2300 ARENA ON FLO SLAM AT 8 P.M.EASTERN TIME
- Penta 0M vs. Sami Callihan
- Tommy Dreamer & Bully Ray vs. Broken Matt Hardy & Bother Nero Jeff Hardy
- Plus MVP and Brian Cage
EVOLVE FROM CLUB LABOOM IN QUEENS, NY SATURDAY NIGHT ON FLO SLAM
- ACH vs. Austin Theory
- Keith Lee vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Fred Yehi & Tracy Williams vs. Chris Dickinson & Jake for the tag titles
- Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page last man standing
- Zack Sabre vs. Drew Galloway
- Matt Riddle vs. Timothy Thatcher for WWN title
NEW JAPAN AT KORAKUEN HALL LIVE ON NEW JAPAN WORLD SUNDAY MORNING AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TIME
- Hirai Kawato & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Katsuya Kitamura & Shota Umino
- Desperado & Taka Michinoku vs. Will Ospreay & Jado
- Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa & Yujiro Takahashi vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & David Finlay
- Hirooki Goto & Toru Yano & Rocky Romero & Baretta vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka & Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Taichi
- Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet & Yoshitatsu vs. Seiya Sanada & Hiromu Takahashi & Bushi
- Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens
- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito & Evil
For Sunday, we're looking for reports on the Impact tapings in Orlando, Raw in Fargo, ND, Smackdown in Hammond, IN and House of Hardcore in Philadelphia.
EVOLVE FROM THE SAINT FINBAR CATHOLIC CHURCH GYM IN BROOKLYN AT 8 P.M. EASTERN ON FLO SLAM
- Ethan Page vs. Austin Theory
- ACH vs. Jaka
- Keith Lee vs. Darby Allin
- Fred Yehi vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Lio Rush for Evolve title
- Matt Riddle vs. Drew Galloway in an I Quit match
FIGURE FOUR WEEKLY: 4/18/2017: Shibata vs. Okada underscores the dangers of pro wrestling
I wasn't thinking about the headbutt that may have ended Katsuyori Shibata's career when the main event of Sakura Genesis ended. Instead, I was impulsively trying to fit Shibata vs. Kazuchika Okada into the hierarchy of matches I've seen over the past few years. I knew that it was my favorite match of the year so far, even surpassing Okada vs. Kenny Omega from the Tokyo Dome. It comfortably surpassed anything from 2016 for me as well, and I may have been able to go back further if it wasn't for the fear of recency bias affecting my judgment too much.
WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER: April 24, 2017: Jinder Mahal made #1 contender, Rosey passes away, more
A look at the life and times of Matt "Rosey" Anoa'i, more on the Mauro Ranallo situation, looking at Jinder Mahal's push to the top, an update on Katsuyori Shibata and a look at the first-ever government investigation of an attempted fix of a UFC fight are just some of the lead stories in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
Have a look at the current WWE booking, the story behind the push of Jinder Mahal, realities of what pushing talent based on physique leads to, and how the network business models plays into this move.
Examine the life and career of Matt Anoa'i of the famed Samoan wrestling family, and notes from those who knew him and a rundown of his pro wrestling career, his near misses when it comes to a push, tragedies in the family, his runs outside WWE and more.
An update on the situation with Katsuyori Shibata, who was injured during one of the greatest matches in recent years, and a look at what happened after the match; look back at how the death of Masakazu Fukuda plays into the story, more on the match, as well as the road Shibata took from high school to selling out Sumo Hall and where he was supposed to be headed, inside this issue.
There is more on the Mauro Ranallo situation including his return to Japan with Rizin and how that was set up, his run in WWE, why the run didn't work, backstage notes at WWE tapings, several wrestlers talk about that situation or their own situations, a look back at the Layfield/Blue Meanie incident and differences of opinion regarding who was responsible for what was happening.
Check out the roster switch over when it comes to house shows and the current plans for May lineups, Roman Reigns at the house shows this past weekend, the biggest surprise of the roster moves, update on The Hardys and the legalities of the broken gimmick, update on Bill Goldberg's contractual situation and future with the company, and WWE injury updates.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
One of the two remaining roadblocks to the WWF/CBS deal was removed this past week when Chris-Craft Industries, Inc. agreed to sell its half of UPN to Viacom for $5 million. Chris-Craft had sought to block a clause in its dual ownership contract of UPN with Viacom, which gave either side the right to order the other to either sell its half or buy out the other company's half. Viacom had, through that clause, ordered Chris-Craft to make a decision by 3/20.
FRIDAY NEWS UPDATE
For this weekend's WWE events, based on what is advertised, Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Chris Jericho and The Hardys are off tonight's show in Rapid City. Finn Balor is on all the weekend Raw shows. Owens and Jericho are listed for Bismark tomorrow night and the rest of the tour. The Hardys are off because they insisted on keeping their commitments previously made with Tommy Dreamer. Reigns was removed from all shows, presumably due to the death of his brother, but is scheduled to return on Monday in Kansas City for Raw. On the Smackdown side, Shinsuke Nakamura is being advertised for Monday and Tuesday nights.
Deadline.com is reporting that Universal is looking at a spin-off of the Fate and the Furious movie that would star Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham working together in an unlikely alliance. The story said the movie idea was in its early stages but Chris Morgan, who was the chief writer of the current movie, is in charge of the scripting. Fate of the Furious has currently grossed $685 million worldwide.
Kenny Omega is only working the Toronto show on the May New Japan/ROH joint shows.
On Impact last night for the live crowd, they announced that a wrestler who hasn't appeared since Victory Road 2005 in TNA would be returning tonight. There was no Victory Road in 2005, but in 2004 at Victory Road, of guys on that show who we had been told they were talking to, the one person that fits the bill is Matt Sydal. As best I can tell from the 2004 and 2006 shows, he's the only one unless you're talking somebody like Spike Dudley or Monty Brown. That's not to say it's him, just he would fit. But they did tell the fans there live there would be a big debut tonight. (thanks to Himanshu D)
Impact taped an angle for next week's show which they released in advance to TMZ where NFL stars D'Angelo Williams and Gary Barnidge attacked Davey Richards, who was beating on Moose. The big spot is Barnidge bodyslamming Richards.
Regarding the death of Doc Young, who was part of this site for many years, and had been battling serious health problems for a long time, he passed away on Wednesday from complications related to the neurological illness he had suffered from for years according to his sister, Sherry Young. Everyone here is very sorry to hear this news.
- Rick Rude passed away 18 years ago today.
- An interview with Mojo Rawley at Fox Sports where he talked about Rob Gronkowski going to WWE at some point, as well as Zack Ryder recovering from his injury and watching the Andre the Giant Battle Royal over and over again is here.
- Chris Jericho will be appearing on the Animal Planet show "Tanked" tonight.
- Gunnar Nelson, a friend of training partner of Conor McGregor, told Submission Radio that if McGregor beats Floyd Mayweather, "I'm not sure that he will fight again to be honest. I don't know, but I could see him just floating off and doing something else crazy." He said if McGregor doesn't win, he feels McGregor will face Khabib Nurmagomedov or someone else but right now he's only focused on Mayweather and boxing. He also predicted that if they fought, that Demian Maia would beat Tyron Woodley.
- Kiichi Kunimoto vs. Warlley Alves has been added to the 6/11 show in Auckland, New Zealand (which airs on 6/10 in the U.S.).
- Paul Craig vs. Khali Rountree, Jack Marshamn vs. Ryan Janes and Mark Godbeer vs. Justin Willis have all been announced for a 7/16 show in Glasgow.
- A trailer on an HBO feature on MMA athletes and domestic abuse covering the conviction of War Machine in the Christy Mack case is here.
- Sonjay Dutt got a swollen eye in the X division title match last night during a dropkick spot where Low Ki dropkicked Trevor Lee and in landing, the knee accidentally caught Dutt in the eye.
- Pro Wrestling NOAH's tag team tournament starts tomorrow.
- Some segments for next week's Impact show were taped last night after the regular show ended. An Xplosion match with Mahabali Shera beating Jon Bolen was taped. For next week's show, Ethan Carter III did a promo saying that he was not going to let anyone cut ahead of him for a title shot. This led to a fight with James Storm. The Moose vs. Davey Richards Grand championship match ended in a no contest. Eddie Edwards was involved and after the match they did the angle with the football players. Christina Von Eerie debuted as the GFW women's champion, beating Ava Stone. On last night's show, Karen Jarrett announced a GFW and Impact merger, so Von Eerie was in as champion and I believe Magnus would be recognized as the GFW heavyweight champion. A new tag team called Wilcox & Mayweather, the Veterans of War debuted beating Mario Bokara & Fallah Bah. Wilcox is better known as Jax Dane, who had just done some ROH dates. Mayweather is the former Crimson, whose real name is Anthony Mayweather. LAX beat Decay in a street fight to keep the tag titles. This may be the end of Abyss & Crazzy Steve as a team as Steve is finishing up this week with Impact. He had a WWE offer that we'd heard about a few weeks ago.
- The FCC relaxed broadcast ownership rules yesterday that will pave the way for the deal for Sinclair Broadcasting to acquire Tribune Media. Sinclair owns 173 stations that this would add 40 more stations to Sinclair, including stations in New York, Chicago and Miami. Whether this would lead to New York and Chicago clearances for ROH, which would be significant, is unclear. The change in regulation is expected to lead to more consolidation in the TV industry.
- Mackenzie Dern, who is one of the most talked about up-and-coming female MMA fighters because of her background as being one of the best submission fighters in the world, but also has a propensity for not making weight, is out of this weekend's Abu Dhabi world pro Jiu Jitsu championships because she missed weight in the 121 pound weight division.
- Santana Garrett has noted that she is part of the new Women of Wrestling promotion that MGM Television is doing that was noted in yesterday's update.
- PW Insider reported that Sandman underwent surgery for a hernia yesterday afternoon. He then drove to do an interview for Highspots for a Legends of Extreme series.
- CWE on 4/20 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan at the Midtown Hall with Danny Duggan, managed by Paul Orndorff vs. Big Chief.
Today in Professional Wrestling History (4/21): Hulk Hogan wins Undisputed title
Pro Wrestling Tees is now carrying our latest line of F4W shirts. Support the Empire~! Grab yours today!
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com