- AEW announces details for Double or Nothing ticket party
- Villain Enterprises challenging for ROH Six-Man Tag Team titles
- Tanahashi facing Miyahara in tag match at Baba memorial show
- NJPW New Beginning USA LA results: Robinson-Williams vs. RPG Vice
- NXT TV taping spoilers: Possible title change
- WWE NXT results: Sky Pirates soar in Phoenix
- WOL: Dean Ambrose offer, Becky Lynch, WWE ratings, more! 1/31
- Big Audio Nightmare: NJPW New Beginning, NOAH sale, Baba show card 1/31
- WOR: SmackDown ratings, WWE interest, Kushida, mailbag, more! 1/30
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Seth Rollins, Becky Lynch win Royal Rumbles
For the second straight year, WWE went with two fan-pleasing choices as their Royal Rumble winners. WWE followed up on Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka's wins from last year by having Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch win their respective Rumble matches on Sunday night. The results were entirely predictable, but that doesn't mean they weren't the right choices. While there are other stories that WWE can tell, top babyfaces beginning their road to WrestleMania by winning the Royal Rumble will pretty much always work.
A quick note that the format of this issue is different due to the fact I messed up my left hand in a bicycle crash on 1/24 making typing extremely difficult.
This issue has complete Royal Rumble and NXT results with eliminations, stats, and facts, plus Dave's comments. It also includes star ratings, NXT awards, and notes on the post show angle.
Roman Reigns is going to be in the Rock's new movie. There were some photos of Roman Reigns last week from where he's been filming the new sequel of the Fast and the Furious franchise, which had been kept kind of quiet. Reigns is playing Rock's character Hobbs' brother.
AEW released a short video with Cody Rhodes talking about signing Jungle Boy and the announcement that on February 7th, there is a Ticket Announcement Party at the MGM from Las Vegas. Brandi teased announcing more women at that event. There is a lot of talent expected at that event. CIMA is likely going to be there.
NJPW is very confident that it will not be an issue by the time the MSG G1 Supercard show comes up, with it being several months away.
From reports of the Dallas, TX Road to G1 Supercard show, Shibata's students, Clark Connors, Karl Fredericks, and Alex Coughlin are all seemed as really good in the technical aspect, with all their basics down, as they're being trained with the Japanese New Japan Dojo mentality. Shibata, who is the lead trainer in the US Dojo, has interpreters with him at all time during training.
Matt Sydal's contract with Impact Wrestling ended January 1st. He should be ready in a couple of months from a minor knee surgery he got last week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell,CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
THURSDAY NEWS UPDATE
by Joseph Currier and Bryan Rose
- Lawyers hired by the Lawler family have issued subpoenas to the Hardeman County Sheriff's Office and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation as part of their investigation into the death of Brian Christopher Lawler. The subpoenas are part of a civil action “to pursue a civil rights claim against Hardeman County, and the deputies that were supposed to protect Brian Christopher Lawler."
- Jeremy Borash tweeted that Vic Joseph and Shawn Michaels will be calling Halftime Heat, which is taking place from the Performance Center during halftime of Sunday’s Super Bowl and airing live on the WWE Network, WWE.com and the WWE app, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. Velveteen Dream, Aleister Black & Ricochet are facing Tommaso Ciampa, Johnny Gargano & Adam Cole.
- Killian Dain posted a tweet asking “#WHEREISSANITY ?!?”, with Alexander Wolfe quote tweeting “Sick of this” in response. The group, which includes Eric Young, haven’t been on television since December 18.
- WWE uploaded brief footage of Ciampa backstage following the brawl that took place between the Halftime Heat teams after TakeOver.
- WWE has highlights of The Rock and Mankind’s empty arena match from the first Halftime Heat. Today is the 20th anniversary of the match airing.
- Corey Graves, Renee Young, and Jerry Lawler will be appearing at this year’s WrestleCon convention as guests of Northeast Wrestling.
- Brock Lesnar took part in his first WWE photoshoot in over two years.
- Bret Hart congratulated The Singh Brothers on getting their first action figures: “Thank you @gurvsihra_wwe and @harvsihra_wwe for the action figures. I’ve met the Singh brothers many times over the years and I always admired their ‘no-quit’ attitude. You know you’ve really made it, and it’s the indisputable truth, when you finally get to have your first action figure. Congratulations guys! You’ve made it!”
- A new NJPW event called Sengoku Lord will take place on 4/20 at the Aichi Prefectural gym.
- Today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Giant Baba.
- Brody King vs. Jay Briscoe, Marty Scurll vs. Kenny King vs. Willie Mack vs. Silas Young in a four corner survival match, and Dalton Castle & The Boys vs. Cheeseburger, Eli Isom & Ryan Nova have been added to ROH’s Bound By Honor show in Miami on February 10. The event will air live on HonorClub.
- Masashi Takeda has been added to Josh Barnett’s Bloodsport in Jersey City, New Jersey on April 4.
- PWG uploaded the preview video for the DVD of Hand of Doom, which took place earlier this month and featured Trevor Lee’s farewell.
- Low Ki cut a promo on Tom Lawlor ahead of their World Heavyweight Championship match on MLW Fusion Live this Saturday.
- Impact Wrestling is partnering with the Las Vegas chapter of the NFL Alumni to advance the latter's 'Caring for Kids' and 'Care for our Own' fundraising initiatives for charities.
- Tickets for Jim Ross’ WrestleMania week show at Gotham Comedy Club in New York City on April 6 will go on sale at 10 a.m. Eastern time tomorrow.
- Dana White is open to the idea of a Conor McGregor/Donald Cerrone fight in the future.
- Marlon Moraes, who is meeting Raphael Assuncao in the main event of this weekend’s UFC on ESPN+ event, says he will continue fighting even if he doesn’t get the next title shot against TJ Dillashaw.
- Dustin Poirier and Al Iaquinta indicated on social media that if they were to get different deals with the UFC they would be interested in fighting against one another.
- Elias Theodorou vs. Derek Brunson is reportedly expected to be the main event of a future show in Ottawa.
- Ross Pearson vs. Desmond Green is set for the UFC Philadelphia show on 3/30.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Edge wins 2010 Royal Rumble
Ed in San Antonio presents the WRESTLEMANIAWeekend Events (more to be added):
- Sunday, April 6th, at 12:00 pm: Lunch (all you can eat) at Churrascaria Plataforma ($90 per person), located at 316 W. 49th street in Manhattan. Purchase tickets here~!
- Luxury Bus to MetLife Stadium for Wrestlemania: We will depart from the Hilton Midtown (site of Wrestlecon) located at 1335 Avenue of the Americas. Departure time is 4:00 pm and will return from MetLife approximately 30 mins after the event. Times are subject to change, and cost $67.00 per person for the round trip. Purchase tickets here~!
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!