We're looking for your thoughts on last night's NXT show and we'll also be doing a poll for tomorrow's ROH show, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to Dave Meltzer
Smackdown tonight on Syfy:
Alberto Del Rio vs. Ryback non-title
Titus O'Neil vs. Tyler Breeze
Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods vs. Lucha Dragons non-title
Becky Lynch vs. Brie Bella
Kevin Owens vs. Dolph Ziggler non-title
New Japan from Korakuen Hall tonight/tomorrow on New Japan World at 4:30 a.m. Eastern time/1:30 a.m. Pacific time
Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Jay White vs. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi & David Finlay
Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu
Kazushi Sakuraba & Toru Yano vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall
Tiger Mask vs. Jushin Liger for NWA jr. title
Hirooki Goto & Captain New Japan & Mascara Dorada vs. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi & Evil
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Katsuyori Shibata & Juice Robinson & Kushida vs. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi & Gedo
There will be another Korakuen Hall show headlined by Tanahashi & Shibata vs. Okada & Naito on late Friday night/Saturday morning at the same time. ROH has its Final Battle PPV tomorrow night, and UFC has its final show of the year on Saturday night.
Figure Four Weekly
Figure Four Weekly 12/7/2015: McDevitt comments on concussion lawsuits
Details on Jerry McDevitt's comments on the ongoing concussion lawsuits against WWE, Alan discusses potential candidates for 2015's best rookie.
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Conor McGregor winning the UFC featherweight title and the story behind UFC 194 and the path of Roman Reigns to the WWE title are the lead stories in the new double issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter with coverage of so many major shows over the past week.
We look at McGregor's financial goals, the business of UFC 194 and the records set, early PPV projections, what is next for McGregor, TV viewership numbers in the U.S. and Brazil, , as well as the path of McGregor to being the No. 1 male star in the promotion. We look at Frankie Edgar as a contender, potential of UFC 200 if Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor are booked on the same show, the last two PPV shows, Rousey vs. McGregor as draws, Luke Rockhold's middleweight title win, looking at the Yoel Romero vs. Chris Weidman judging and the future of the middleweight division.
We also look at the path of Roman Reigns to the WWE title, the increased viewership on Raw, where the new viewers came from and how viewership differed from recent weeks. We look at the reaction to Reigns, and the storylines that led to that reaction.
We've also got complete rundowns on WWE TLC, NXT Takeover, as well as all three UFC events, including match-by-match coverage, business notes, star ratings and more.
We also have a look at Mauro Ranallo's signing with WWE, his background, how the deal came to fruition and the path from announcing pro wrestling on TV while a teenage on national television in Canada to the WWE 30 years ago, with stops in kickboxing, MMA and boxing in between.
We also have news on a new Takeover special and WrestleMania weekend, WWE week on the USA Network, dates Brock Lesnar is booked, WWE making a deal with Coca Cola, new season of Total Divas, Slammy Awards notes, why it is unlikely Dwayne Johnson will be at WrestleMania, Ronda Rousey and WrestleMania, William Regal injury update, death of Jim Dotson, Daniel Bryan update, offers made to Bryan, Bryan talks WretleMania and bringing back stars from the past, HHH talks NXT, why Raw is three hours and why that isn't going to change soon, WWE injury updates, NXT touring in 2016, Cena in the movies, Lineup of DVD releases for 2016, how ECW ended up being a financial success, difference in the makeup of Raw and Smackdown viewers and what viewers are more likely to watch both shows, plus we've got reports from all the WWE & NXT arena events over the past week with business and overall highlights.
The Latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 21, 2015 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Conor McGregor wins UFC Featherweight title, Roman Reigns WWE Champion
You can also order the print Observer right now and get it delivered to your door via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com" target="_blank">firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also order print issues at www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com
For the United States, it is $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can get one free classic issue of your choice sent to you today. With a 40 issue subscription, you can get two free classic issues sent to you today. We've got coverage of every major PPV event and world wide spectacular, every major star switching promotions, histories of companies like FMW, Rings and New Japan, retirement and obit issues of every major star who fits into those descriptions over the past 11 years, as well as our biggest issue every year, the annual awards issue, and our most controversial issue of every year, the Hall of Fame issue.
Click here for the most requested Wrestling Observer back issues.
TODAY'S DAILY UPDATE
There were a lot of pro wrestling people at the Combate Americas MMA show last night on NBC Universo at the Florentine Gardens in Hollywood,CA. Gene LeBell was a judge. Konnan did the color commentary. Court Bauer was a Co-executive producer. Also at the show included Frank Shamrock and Taya Valkyrie.
Ashley Fliehr (Charlotte) is on the cover of the new issue of Muscle & Fitness Hers that comes out in a few days.
Dwayne Johnson and girlfriend Lauren Hashian had a baby girl yesterday. Congratulations to both.
Tickets for the 1/2 PWG show in Reseda, CA sold out instantly last night.
POP TV, the new home of TNA, has been cleared by Cablevision as of mid-January. It won't be airing on Cablevision in time for the 1/5 show, but it will be airing in time for the 1/29 show.
- When they taped Smackdown in Newark for tonight, in Roman Reign's opening interview, he said that HHH hadn't been seen since TLC anywhere. So there were wires crossed between those running the show and HHH.
- Also in a rarity, on tonight's show during the national broadcast they will plug the Brock Lesnar appearance at the show on Saturday night at the Forum in Los Angeles. That show has a surprisingly weak advance. Lesnar faces Alberto Del Rio on that card in a U.S. title match.
- All the allotment of pre-sale tickets put on sale today for NXT live events in Royal Oak, MI and Pittsburgh in January have sold out.
- The Baron Corbin win over Apollo Crews was to set up some Finn Balor vs Corbin matches for the NXT title.
- The stock closed down two cents today to $17.45
- WWE stars visiting a military base in Jacksonville for Tribute to the Troops promotion
- Dwayne Johnson's seven life lessons
- An article on NXT Takeover
- Joe Rogan has apologized for saying that Jose Aldo looked different in Saturday's fight and any insinuations regarding that.
- John McCarthy will be the referee for the 1/2 Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit welterweight title match. The judges will be Derek Cleary, Chris Lee and Tony Weeks.
- Sage Northcutt in a 2011 Star Wars commercial
- Nate Diaz showed up in great shape for Saturday's fight with Michael Johnson. He wasn't happy he wasn't on the event poster, so today he drew himself on an event poster.
- Rafael Feijao vs. Ovince Saint-Preux has been added to the 2/6 UFC show in Las Vegas, which is the Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez show.
- Martin Sevensoon vs. David Teymur, both off the recent TUF season, and both from Sweden and Conor McGregor's team, will face off on the 2/27 sold out UFC show at the O2 Arena in London.
- If you're a fan of Dee Devlin, Conor McGregor's girlfriend, and shopping sprees
- UFC TV for the next few days:
Weigh-ins are at 4 p.m. Eastern tomorrow with Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier, Brian Stann and Ariel Helwani as the team
The prefight show is at 4 p.m. Eastern Saturday
Prelims are from 5-8 p.m. Eastern on FS 1 and Fox Deportes
Main card is 8-10:30 p.m. on FOX with Dominick Cruz being added to the broadcast team with Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg.
Post-fight show will be after the completion of the card on FS 1 on Saturday night
Ultimate Insider is Sunday at 8 p.m. looking at UFC 193 and building up Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit
Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm will air for the first time on television on Sunday at 10:30 p.m. on FS 1
- Kurt Angle talks his decision to leave TNA and his future plans
- Paul Bradley (22-6, 2 NCs) vs. Chris Honeycutt (6-0, 1 NC) in a battle of former All-American Division I wrestlers in a rematch of a fight that went to a no contest a few months back, has been rescheduled for the 1/29 Bellator show in Fresno. Also announced for prelims were Anthony Avila (12-4) vs. John Reedy (11-6), Javy Ayala (8-4) vs. Carl Seumanutafa (9-6) and Art Arcienega (14-5) vs. Justin Smiley (9-7).
- An article on Premier Wrestling
- Bill Goldberg talks his favorite match of his career, against Diamond Dallas Page
- Rockstar Pro Wrestling tomorrow night at the Rockstar Pro Arena in Dayton.
- Maryland Championship Wrestling on 12/26 in Joppa, MD featuring Ethan Carter III, Chyna and Ashley Massaro as well as the area debut of Sean Studd, the real life son of Big John Studd.
- The ECWA announced Jason Kincaid as the first person in the 2016 Super 8 tournament which takes place on 4/23.
- L.A. Park & Laredo Kid vs. Mascara Maligna & Silver Star headline a Saturday show in Dallas at the Indoor Soccer Camp.
- Solar vs. Blue Panther is headlining a Sunday show at Arena Coliseo in Monterrey. They also could have headlined the same arena 30 years ago.
- 40 years ago today in Miami Beach before 4,200 fans:
- Omar Negro (Buddy Moreno/Omar Atlas) drew Bruce Swayze (Patrick's uncle)
- Mike Graham beat Bob Orton Jr. via DQ to retain the U.S. jr. heavyweight title
- Karl Von Steiger beat Abe Jacobs
- Bob Roop beat Bill Dromo
- The Destroyer (Killer Kowalski) no contest Big Bad John
- Billy Robinson beat The Great Malenko to retain the Southern title
- Rocky Johnson & Thunderbolt Patterson beat Rip Hawk & Roger Kirby via DQ to retain the Florida tag team titles
- Terry Funk beat Cyclone Negro to retain the NWA title (thanks to Barry Rose)
- Rock Solid Pro Wrestling on 2/12 in Kirkland Lake, ONT at the Northern College Kirkland Lake Campus headlined by Cody Deaner.
- Want to make mention of the work of Kathy Fitzpatrick for her work in helping organize a lot of Toys for Tots pick-ups at wrestling events in the Philadelphia and New Jersey areas snd working with the Marine Reserve groups to come to the events, as well as transporting the toys
Here is today's FULL Daily Pro Wrestling History including International history: Daily pro wrestling history (12/17): Frank Gotch wins American Heavyweight Title
Bob Magee on wrestling promotions who have been working hard for charity during the holiday season:
* 3XWrestling presented Holiday Havoc 6 on December 4 in Des Moines, IA, and collected toys at its annual Toys for Tots Drive.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena presented the first of their Toys for Tots collection on December 5 at the CHIKARA Pro Wrestling season finale at the 2300 (ECW) Arena with an overflowing box of toys, as well as cash donations, and food donations to Philabundance being collected.
* New England Championship Wrestling held its annual Toys for Tots collection/meet and greet at West Real Estate in Wilmington, MA on December 5, collecting nearly 100 toys.
* The originator of Toys for Toys events in the Philadelphia/South Jersey region, United Wrestling
Coalition, did it again on December 5 at Kelly's Bar/Banquet Hall, 14 Railroad Avenue, Wrightstown, NJ with 300-350 toys plus 10 bikes.
* ECWA Pro Wrestling held its annual Toys for Tots show on December 5 at the Woodbury Heights Community Center, Woodbury, NJ with six boxes of Toys for Tots collected.
* Right Coast Pro returned to Newark, DE on December 5 and collected 2 shopping carts of canned and nonperishable goods for the "Feed the Need Ministry" in Newark, DE and $500 for the Josh Jones Fund.
* WAR Wrestling returns to Lima, OH on December 5 for United or Divided in a fundraiser for the Veterans Food Pantry; raising over $600 in cash and a whole SUV full of food.
* Crossfire Wrestling presented Jingle Bell Brawl IV on December 5 at The Merritton Community St. Catharine's, ON, and raised $500 for The Niagara Children's Centre Foundation.
* New Era Wrestling returned to Golden, CO on December 5, collecting dozens of toys at their Toys for Tots collection.
* Charity Wrestling Show came to Kingston Gospel Temple, Kingston, ON, Canada on December 5; with proceeds going to Hands of Hope, a charity that provides groceries over the holiday season to families in need.
* Pure Wrestling Association returned to Guelph, ON on December 4 and Kitchener, ON on December 5 for "Spirit of the Season" collecting scores of new, unwrapped toys and Guelph, ON on December 6 collecting many canned foods items.
* Old Time Wrestling collected numerous bags of food items at its December 5 weekly show in Williamstown, NJ.
* Xtreme Intense Championship Wrestling returned to Warren, MI on December 6 for Hardcore With A Heart at The Ritz collecting hundreds of canned goods to benefit the homeless of metro Detroit.
* The stars of Juggalo Championship Wrestling will join forces with legendary rappers to deliver 6 shows to benefit Saint John's Children's Hospital of Illinois. The Rassle Rap Charity Festival Tour features all the stars of Juggalo Championship Wrestling (JCW) like 2 Tuff Tony, Crazy Mary
Dobson, Madman Pondo, The Weedman, The Ring Ryda's, Kongo Kong, The Rudeboy, Super Strong Tiger, The Spider Monkey, The Iron Demon Shane Mercer, Moshpit Mike, Samantha Heights, and many more competing in the ring. All proceeds from the tour will go directly to Saint Johns Children's Hospital, and that includes not only ticket sales, but also the various support packages available which include a special edition t-shirt, the opportunity to be a lumberjack in one of the matches, a VIP meet and greet with every performer on the show and more!!!
Show dates are:
12/10 Valparaiso, IN - Big Shots
12/11 Sauget, IL - Pop's
12/12 Kokomo, IN - The Stage
12/13 Columbus, OH - The Newport
12/16 Glen Jean, WV - Glen Jean Armory
12/17 Cleveland, OH - Agora Ballroom
* Texas Wrestling Association returned to the Texas Wolverine All-Star Gym, San Antonio, TX on December 11 for Gold Envy, part of the annual Toy Drive for Mujeres Unidas benefit Children's Hospital of San Antonio; collecting 75 toys for area children.
* Old Time Wrestling collected yet more bags of food items at its December 12 weekly show in Williamstown, NJ.
* Grumpy's Bail Bonds Operation Christmas sponsored a show in Portland, TN at the Richland Park Gym on December 11 with Ricky Morton, Bill Dundee, and TNA's Crimson which raised nearly $1,000 for local youth organization HYPE Mentoring. Children received nearly 200 toys from Santa.
* Brew City Wrestling ran its annual Headlock for Hunger on December 11 at the Knight of Columbus Hall in West Allis, WI. The show featured a food drive for the Hunger Task Force of Greater Milwaukee, collecting 600 canned goods and non-perishables.
* Chaotic Wrestling ran its second Toys for Tots show of the year on December 11th at the Woburn, MA Elks Lodge.
* Combat Zone Wrestling presented its annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) at Combat Zone Wrestling's 17th annual Cage of Death on December 12 at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ as part of an all day CZW event, including a Combat Zone Wrestling afternoon student show at 2:00 pm. The day's events produced 420 toys donated by CZW fans on Cage of Death day...an 11 year record for toys collected tonight at a CZW show....more than any Flyers Skate Zone or ECW Arena CZW show ever did, and twice what the promotion did in 2013.
* Grand Slam Wrestling returned to the Moosic Youth Center in Moosic, PA with 50 toys collected for Toys for Tots.
* Wrestling for a Cause ran Night of Miracles: The Fight for Luther on December 12 in Pryor, OK (7:00 pm belltime). 100% of the show's went to the family of a child with cancer.
* All Star Wrestling presented Bodyslams For Toys on December 12 at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds, 6050 176 St, Surrey, BC, collecting nearly 50 toys.
* Definitive Wrestling International held a Toys for Tots show on December 12 at Rivercrest Community Clubhouse in Riverview, FL, collecting numerous toys.
* Old Time Wrestling again collected food items at its December 12 weekly show in Williamstown, NJ as part of its holiday food drive.
* Game Changer Wrestling held a Toys for Tots fundraiser in Howell, NJ on December 12 with "Reckless Youth" Tom Carter, WWE Hall of Famer George "The Animal" Steele and Terri
* GALLI Lucha Libre presented its annual GALLI Toy Drive Navidad event in Villa Park, IL on December 13
Here are the events still scheduled in December and January:
* WrestleMerica returns to Griffin, GA on December 18, with a Toys for Tots collection for the children of Spalding County. The show features The Bullet Club's Doc Gallows, 12 of the IWGP Tag Team Champions, Knux, Glacier, and Brad Attitude. Bring a new, unwrapped toy for get a discount on your ticket.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor's Final Battle PPV on December 18 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 18 with an
8:30 pm bell time.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor's TV taping on December 19 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena with an 6:00 pm bell time.
Additionally, ROH and Donovan Dijak are doing a Go Fund Me page to benefit national Toys for Tots. You can donate directly to national Toys for Tots at this link
* Old Time Wrestling will collect numerous bags of food items at its December 19 afternoon and evening shows in Williamstown, NJ as part of its holiday food drive.
* Elite Canadian Champion Wrestling presents Wrestling with Hunger on December 19 in Port Coquitlam, BC, supporting the Share Family Services Food Bank. Feature matches: Artemis Spencer/Buddy Wayne vs. King Khash/Jorel Nelson, “Kingpin” Johnny Flynn vs. Andy “The Dreadful” Bird, Shotgun Stevens vs. Nick Pesky, Xavier vs. Mike Everest
* Premiere Wrestling Xperience is offering an opportunity for spectators to bring a new unwrapped toy to the Hickory National Guard Armory, 1251 8th St NE in Hickory, NC on December 19. Spectators who bring a new unwrapped toy (with a suggested minimum value of just $10) can attend their event for only $10 and any child, aged 12 and under, who also brings an unwrapped toy will be FREE in rows 3-8.
* SCW Entertainment returns to the Coronaca Fire Department in Coronaca, PA for the 5th annual Toys for Tots event on December 19. Featured matches: Anderson Strong (c) vs. Dean Richards in a SCW Heavyweight Championship/30 Minute Iron Man Match, TJ Boss vs. Ben Wright in a Cage Match/Loser Leaves SCW/Winner is # 1 Contender to the SCW Heavyweight Title, and Kat Daddy (c) vs. Karl Hager for the SCW Internet Championship
* Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling will hold Wrestling With Hunger at the Elks Hall #49 ,2272 Leigh Square, Port Coquitlam, BC on December 19 (8:00 pm belltime/ 7:30 doors open) to support Share Family Services Food Bank. All seats ONLY $16
* Supreme Pro Wrestling returns to Sacramento’s SPW Arena on Sunday, December 20, with Brian Tannen defending the SPW Heavyweight Title against Scoot Robertson — The Beautiful People defending the SPW Tag Team Titles against the Honor Society — Michael Hayashi defends the SPW Xtreme Title against Airon Skye — and Joe DeSoul in a grudge match against Ring Announcer Ethan White. Fans donating an unwrapped toy will get half-price admission in our annual Toys For Kids promotion!
* Smash Wrestling presents Infinity Chapter 3 & 4 on December 27 at Harmony Creek Community Hall, 15 Harmony Rd. N, Oshawa Ontario. This is the annual Christmas show for local food bank. Fans are asked to bring donations for Harmony Creek food bank. No matches yet announced.
* On Point Wrestling presents its third anniversary show on January 2 at the Old Time Wrestling Arena, 1041 Glassboro Road (Monroe Business Center) Building C/Suite 1 - Williamstown, NJ. Doors open at 6:30 pm/7:00 pm bell time. Main Event, for the On Point Championship/No Rope
Barbed Wire; Joey Janela defends against Oz Tyler (with Loudy). A Toys for Tots collection will take place at the show.
Between all of these over the years, tens of thousands of children have been able to have a Christmas or Hanukkah. Please help your local independent promotion do the same, or encourage them to schedule an event soon for the Holidays if they haven't already. If you're a promoter, PLEASE email me and let me know of your holiday charity themed plans (fund-raisers/collections for clothes, food pantries, Toys for Toys, etc.) at wrestling or MMA events to email@example.com.