- Timothy Thatcher added to NXT gauntlet eliminator match
- WWE Main Event results: Ali vs. Carrillo, Belair vs. Kay
- NJPW G1 Climax 30 night two live results: Naito vs. Tanahashi
- Colby Covington dominates Tyron Woodley in UFC on ESPN+ 36 win
- UFC on ESPN+ 36 live results: Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley
- DragonKing Dark: What is the evil secret of the Oriuagor? 9/20
- F4D: SemperFilthy's Otoko Matsuri; UFC Vegas recap 9/20
- WOR: UFC, New Japan G-1 night 1 and 2, Smackdown, Raw, more! 9/20
- Left My Wallet: Mark Sterling, MJF's attorney & fantasy football fan 9/19
WON NEWSLETTER: September 21, 2020 Observer Newsletter: Stacked NJPW G-1, more
With a huge feature on the crazy story of the original Hollywood Blonds tag team with the death of Jerry Brown, we've got a double issue this week of the Observer up on the site right now.
Our lead story looks at this year's G-1 tournament looking at every card, the stories going into the card, the restrictions, the odds, and the new Will Ospreay, start time for every show, complete lineups, comments by Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley regarding this year's new format.
Also in this issue:
Update on WWE Clash of Champions, with the matches announced, updates on titles not yet announced with matches and keys to the show.
The situation with Matt Riddle and Samantha Tavel.
Daniel Cormier getting COVID and a new UFC product being pushed.
Changes at the USA Network, Sasha Banks with a major acting gig, Update on Jeff Hardy, details behind the Paul Heyman/Roman Reigns pairing, new contracts signed in WWE, wrestler teases gimmick change, Mandy Rose angle, law being talked about reglated to the Sonya Deville incident, Retribution update, this coming week's WWE television, Randy Orton new business, Ivar injury update, Ronda Rousey update, Next NXT Takeover, weird TV moment, Sports & International ratings, Jimmy Jacobs talks WWE protocol and Vince McMahon, injury update, movie with WWE performers, market value of WWE and the most-watched shows on WWE Network.
This past week's UFC show with the stories behind the show and match-by-match coverage.
New Japan's last show this past week before G-1, held at Korakuen Hall, with the matches and angles and what is being pushed.
Our huge feature covers the life and career of Jerry Brown, who teamed with Buddy Roberts to form the Hollywood Blonds, one of the greatest heel tag team acts of all-time. This major feature looks at their beginnings, their heyday in Quebec and Florida, places they went, who they faced, as well as the other territories they went, championships they held, the second version of the Hollywood Blonds people don't remember, the mentality of the act and some crazy Jerry Brown stories, with lots of comments from Bill Watts, who put the team together.
Ratings of all the major shows, the key demos and quarters for AEW and WWE, what happened head-to-head and what can be learned from them.
Results of all the major pro wrestling events around the world over the past week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
SUNDAY NEWS UPDATE
We have a number of weekend shows up on the site including Bryan Alvarez with Lance Storm on Friday, Garrett Gonzalez and I with Rich Swann on Friday, and Bryan and I from last night talking G-1, UFC and Smackdown.
Last night's UFC had 1.1 million searches putting it No. 3 behind the California Earthquake and Boston Celtics. That's the PPV level having to do with Colby Covington, for better or worse. The key topics were Covington and his phone call from the president, Donald Cerrone and Khamat Chimaev (who finished the day in the top 20 meaning people are seeing him as a star). The only other combat sports thing in the top 20 during the week was Floyd Mayweather on Wednesday at No 13 with 200,000 stemming from rumors of the idea he will do a boxing match with Logan Paul. There is no contract signed for such a match although there have been talks. The idea is preposterous on multi-levels.
All Japan has a show live tonight at 10:30 p.m. Eastern time with Champion Carnival matches from Korakuen Hall of Suwama vs. Zeus, Jake Lee vs. Kuma Arashi, Kento Miyahara vs. Yuma Aoyagi and Shuji Ishikawa vs. Shotaro Ashino. It's live on All Japan's streaming service.
Dragon Gate also has a major show at 2 a.m. late tonight Eastern time from the Tokyo Ota Ward Gym. It's live on the Dragon Gate streaming service with a six-way cage match with a ton of stipulations with Yamato, Big R Shimizu, BxB Hulk, Kai, Eita and Masato Yoshino. There are also multiple title matches:
- Kaito Ishida defends the Open the Brave Gate title against Yosuke Santa Maria
- Gamma & Ho Ho Lun & Kagetora & Yasushi Kanda vs. Keisuke Okuda & Problem Dragon & Punch Tominga & U-T
- Don Fujii & Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito vs. Masaaki Mochizuki & Shuji Kondo & Ultimo Dragon
- Naruki Doi vs. Kzy
- Ben K & Strong Machine J & Dragon Dia defend the Open the Triangle Gate titles against Diamante & Kazma Sakamoto & Takashi Yoshida
- Jason Lee & Kota Minoura defend the Open the Twin Gate titles against Dragon Kid & Susumu Yokosuka
- Six-way cage match. People enter at different intervals. There are different stips involving winning as well as the last guy left.
There will be a Steve Austin's Broken Skull Sessions show on Sunday after the Clash of Champions PPV with Kurt Angle as the guest.
- Names announced so far for the Gauntlet Eliminator on Wednesday's NXT show for a shot at Finn Balor's title at the 10/4 Takeover are Timothy Thatcher, Cameron Grimes, Kushida and Kyle O'Reilly. I would say any of the four would be a major surprise to be in the main event against Balor of a Takeover show, and all of the four would probably deliver a good match.
- Mission Pro Wrestling from Friday night in Buda, TX for a show put on by Thunder Rosa: Avery Taylor b Alex Gracia, Killer Kate & Promise Braxton b Jenna Lynn& Vert Vixen, Madi Wrenkowski b Red Velvet, Big Swole b Rosa Negra, Elayna Black b Rachelle Rose, Jenna Cide b Rok-C, Thunder Rosa b Lindsay Snow to retain the NWA women's title (thanks to Shannon Walsh)
- Toa Henare announced that his first show put on by his wrestling school will be on 2/27 in Whanganui, New Zealand. (thanks to Kevin Chiat)
- Warrior Wrestling from last night in Chicago Heights, IL before about 200 fans. It was really cold last night which held down the crowd, but also showed the difficulty in running weekly in this day and age: Garrison Creed b Jordan Cross, Sam Adonis b Jake Something, Beast Man won over The Sign, Icon Lee, Dani Mo, Jack Griffin and Dan the Dad,Lee Moriarty b Tre Lemar, Ace Austin & Mad Man Fulton b Dominic Garrini & Kevin Ku in an Impact vs. MLW match, Kimber Lee b Jordynne Grace, Alex Shelley d Jonathan Gresham with a double pin finish that didn't seem to work, Luchasaurus & Tay Conti b Chris Bey &Rae Lyn, Trey Miguel won three-way over Dezmond Xavier and Zachary Wentz to earn a title match, Brian Pillman Jr. b Warhorse to keep the Warrior title (thanks to Lance LeVine and Shannon Walsh)
- Adam Brooks vs. Havoc headlines to Riot City Wrestling on 10/10 in Adelaide, Australia.
- The Pro Wrestling Darwin promotion in Northern Australia is closing because the owners are moving to Perth.
- Pro Wrestling Phoenix from Friday night in Omaha: Omar Pachecco b Logan Ocean, K-Dos b Ryan Monroe, Duke Cornell b Moonshine Russell, Pat Powers b Xander McIntosh, Pat Powers b Nicky Scent-COR, Paul Daniels & Joey Daniels b Purule & Mack Riggs, The Carver b Brett Bishop, Branden Juarez b Jack Darling-DQ. Next show is 10/10 at the Waiting Room Lounge in Omaha.
- A couple of notes regarding masks. Rich Baker's family at firstname.lastname@example.org are doing Lucha Libre COVID masks that look really cool. Pro Wrestling Revolution also has Lucha COVID masks that are cool.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Sting's final match
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today