THE LATEST NEWS
- Tag title rematch, Cena vs. Strowman vs. Elias set for Raw tonight
- Rey Mysterio on WWE return: I want to say there's a big possibility
THE LATEST AUDIO
- WOL: Booker T & Corey Graves, Raw, UFC, more! 2/5
- B&V: NWA World Championship Wrestling from 1987, Vinny's Super Bowl thoughts! 2/4
We're looking for reports tonight from Raw in Des Moines, which has Roman Reigns vs. Bray Wyatt in a match to determine who gets into the Elimination Chamber as well as Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Seth Rollins & Jason Jordan for the tag team titles and a John Cena vs. Braun Strowman vs. Elias three-way. We're looking for Main Event and any non-Raw stuff to email@example.com. We're also looking for reports on tonight's Smackdown house show in Springfield, MO.
NEW JAPAN FROM KORAKUEN HALL AT 5:30 A.M. TUESDAY MORNING ON NEW JAPAN WORLD
- Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask & Kushida vs. Shota Umino & Tetsuhiro Yagi & Ren Narita
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Hikuleo & Yujiro Takahashi
- Manabu Nakanishi vs. Katsuya Kitamura
- Rocky Romero & Sho & Yoh vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Desperado & Taka Michinoku
- Juice Robinson & David Finlay & Toa Henare vs. Jay White & Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii
- Michael Elgin & Togi Makabe & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka & Taichi
- Yoshi-Hashi & Will Ospreay & Gedo vs. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi & Bushi
- Evil & Sanada vs. Kazuchika Okada & Evil for IWGP tag titles
Smackdown is Tuesday in Kansas City with Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn with the winner facing A.J. Styles for the WWE title at Fast Lane, Bobby Roode vs. Rusev for the U.S. title, Kalisto vs. Lince Dorado and Hideo Itami vs. Roderick Strong in the cruiserweight title tournament plus Jimmy Uso & Naomi vs Goldust & Mandy Rose in the Mixed Match Challenge.
The most newsworthy week in recent WWE history capped off with Ronda Rousey appearing at the end of the Royal Rumble on Sunday night. Instead of participating in the women's Royal Rumble match itself, Rousey closed the show with an appearance that initially did little to reveal what's next for her in WWE. She came out to "Bad Reputation" by Joan Jett, her old UFC walkout song, while wearing one of Roddy Piper's leather jackets.
Coverage of some of what will be the biggest stories of the year is in a giant news double issue of the Observer this week.
Our lead story covers the WWE PPV appearance of Ronda Rousey, the plans for her, her training, why this was the perfect timing for WWE, a look at other fighting celebrities in pro wrestling, where she is most valuable to the company and thoughts on if she'll be a success or not, including what has to be guarded against.
This issue contains the most in-depth look at the old XFL, Vince McMahon's new XFL, what went wrong the first time, and whether the 180 degree about-face will work. Also, look at the differences in the landscape between then and now, and what the real keys are to success or failure.
Detailed coverage of the Royal Rumble, including a chart on both Rumble matches, records for the Rumble, business from the Rumble, who put the Rumble together, notes on the surprises, Rey Mysterio and his current situation, changes made the day of the show, plans for Elimination Chamber an updated WrestleMania card, and match-by-match coverage with poll results and star ratings.
Read about the Takeover show in Philadelphia, what did and didn't work, business notes, probable directions coming out of it with match-by-match coverage and star ratings.
Look at the making of the Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic fight and UFC's plans for as many as three champion vs. champion matches on the July show. Also look at the Cormier/Cain Velasquez dynamic with both men commenting as well as the new season of Ultimate Fighter.
Have a look at New Japan Pro Wrestling, with the Omega-Cody angle, a twist that wasn't on television in Sapporo, ticket sales for Long Beach and putting that into perspective, an update on Hiroshi Tanahashi and when he's scheduled to return, the Bullet Club breakup angle, the three different incredible sell jobs of the weekend and how they are different, the business from the two Sapporo events, the lineup for this week's New Japan World live shows, and coverage of both Sapporo shows, with star ratings and poll results.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
In what may have been the swan song of the promotion, ECW promised a "holy shit" surprise, which prompted debates over methods of promotion today as well as if there is any future left with the company in the wake of losing its New York television, cancelling next month's PPV and not even producing a new TV show in the go-home week before a PPV show.
MONDAY NEWS UPDATE
Bryan and I will be back tonight with Wrestling Observer Radio covering Raw and the latest pro wrestling and MMA news, as well as taking e-mail questions to email@example.com.
Raw will debut a new theme likely tonight, a Papa Roach song "Born for Greatness."
Brian Ortega, a UFC top featherweight contender, was named Hispanic Athlete of the Year by Inca Kola USA and NY Business Latino this past Tuesday at a Super Bowl function called "Salute to Hispanics in Sports and Entertainment" in Minneapolis. He got the award due to all the charity work he's done. When he won his last fight, he immediately went to Dana White with ideas on how they could work together for charitable causes.
Chris Jericho will be appearing tonight on Last Call with Carson Daly at 1:35 a.m. on NBC. My guess is he will be plugging the Fozzy tour which is currently going on. Fozzy played last night in Oberhausen, Germany, has tonight off so he flew to the U.S. to film the show, and then is back in Munich, Luxembourg, Stuttgart and Zurich from Tuesday through Friday.
UFC fighter Carls John de Tomas has accepted a one-year suspension for a test failure for a diuretic taken on 12/8, the day before his Fresno fight with Alex Perez. The California State Athletic Commission also suspended him for one year, concurrently, and fined him $2,500. The suspension is listed as starting on 12/29, the day the test results came in.
The video announcing the Nick Aldis vs. Tommy Dreamer NWA title match on 3/24 in Philadelphia on the House of Hardcore show at the 2300 Arena.
- Reader Scott Janicek, in sending a report on the Defy show this past week from Seattle, noted that he had recently gotten all clear on his battle with cancer and tweeted about how disappointed he was that he couldn't get tickets to see Joey Janela wrestle on that show since it sold out in advance and he didn't buy tickets because he thought he would still be in recovery. Janicek said he never tagged Janela, but Janela found out and gave him two VIP tickets for the show. He didn't know it was a reader and never made it public so he wasn't doing this to get press.
- A story on Kevin Nash appearing at a Comic Con in Southgate, MI, near where he grew up. (thanks to Jake Koch)
- Ric Flair will be a guest on the CWA show on 5/19 in Hot Springs, AR at the Hot Springs Convention Center.
- Ground Zero on 3/31 in San Diego at the Montgomery-Waller Rec Center.
- Harley Race's World League Wrestling from Saturday night in Troy, MO: Jaden Roller b Rex Fults, Kyle Roberts b Superstar Steve Fender & Brandon Espinosa, Jayden Dominic Rose won over Jon Webb and Keon Option, Jack Gamble b Leland Race, Jon Webb & Jack Gamble b Leland Race & Jayden Dominic Rose-COR, Jayden Dominic Rose b Jon Webb. (thanks to Patrick Brandmeyer)
- Rise announced Joey Ryan vs. Saraya Knight (Paige's mother) for a 4/13 show in Chicago.
- Blue Water Championship Wrestling from Saturday night in Port Huron, MI: Alex Weir b Blake Acumen, Nate Coy (son of Luke Perry) b Devils' Right Hand, Jordan Clearwater b Billy Ray Daniels, Brian Pillman Jr. (son of Brian Pillman) b Sean Casey, Alex Weir b Malcolm Monroe III, Nate Coy b Justin Mane, Cyrus Satin b Jordan Clearwater, Brian Pillman Jr. b Michael Barnes, Alex Weir b Nate Coy, Brian Pillman Jr. b Cyrus Satin, Alex Weir b Brian Pillman Jr. to win the tournament for the Rising Star championship, Roach & Anabella b Atlas Hytower & Tony Scott & Ingrid Isley, Buddy the Bulldog b Matt Prada, Mr. Fitness & Rob Clooney b Sean Casey & Michael Barnes-DQ. (thanks to Leonard Brand)
- Destino Negro vs. Mega Danger in a Lucha Libre match has been added to Thursday's MLW show in Orlando at Gilt Nightclub. A video promoting Sami Callihan vs. Darby Allin.
- EWF from yesterday in Baldwin Park, CA: Andy Brown b Rico Dynamite, Maritza Janet b Ayoka, Dicky Mayer b Adrian Quest, Fidel Bravo b Jorel Nelson, Mariachi Loco & SoCal Crazy b Akiyori Takizawa & Shunsuke Sayama, Super Beetle b Saint Synclair, Rico Dynamite won Battle Royal. This was Taklizawa and Sayama's last Southern California matches before returning home to Japan and the K-Dojo promotion.
- Total Combat Wrestling from yesterday in Rozzano, Milan, Italy: Pain b Carlo Birra, Claudio Campari b Death Mask, Scandolo I b Jacob, Rocco Gioilello b Antonino Bellavita-DQ, Fenice Rossa b Black Ice in a hardcore match. (thanks to Alessio Garbini)
- XCW 10th anniversary show from yesterday in El Paso: Danny Gee b Aguila, Awesome Andy b Alvaric Reiner, Nicktendo b Skybirde, Brothers of Wrestling b Lucha Starr & Red Miracle, Super Crazy b JC Watson. (thanks to Albert Cerda)
- Combat Zone Wrestling on Saturday night in Voorhees, NJ at the Colossal Sports Academy at The Coliseum with Rickey Shane Page & Penta 0M & Rey Fenix vs. Sami Callihan & Jake & Dave Crist, MJF vs. Alex Colon, Ace Romero vs. Greg Excellent and more. They also run 2/23 in Asbury Park, NJ at the House of Independents.
- MCW on 2/17 in Joppa, MD at the MCW Arena has Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham and J.J. Dillon.
- Pro Wrestling on 2/24 in Fort Erie, ONT at the Native Friendship Centre with Kongo Kong vs. Tarik.
- Crossfire Wrestling on 3/18 in St. Catharines, ONT at the Merritton Community Centre for a 4 p.m. show.
Today in Professional Wrestling History: Andre the Giant wins WWF Championship, title declared vacant
Here we go again! It's back to New Orleans for Wrestlemania 34 and a huge weekend of spectacular professional wrestling related fun and wackiness. EdinSanAntonio Productions along with the Wrestling Observer / Figure Four Empire~! is proud to present the annual Wrestlemania weekend trip details. This huge weekend includes a number of website "members only" events. Below are the two events currently scheduled. Click here for full event details.
WOR Podcast Taping:Purchase TICKETS for the Wrestling Observer Radio LIVE MAILBAG~!
- WHAT: Wrestling Observer Radio LIVE Podcast Recording with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez
- WHEN: Friday, April 6th, 2018 - 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (Doors open at 8:45 a.m. for VIP ticket holders and at 9:15 a.m. for general admission)
- WHERE: The Bourbon Room, Royal St. Charles Hotel in downtown New Orleans; 135 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130
WO/F4W Brunch:Purchase TICKETS for the Wrestling Oberver BRUNCH~!
- WHAT: All you care to eat brunch buffet on the morning of Wrestlemania
- WHEN: Sunday, April 8th, 2018 - T11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- WHERE: The Court of Two Sisters restaurant in downtown New Orleans; 613 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70130
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com