New Japan Pro Wrestling Announces Big Match-Ups
Kazuchika Okada will defend his IWGP Heavyweight Championship against Naomichi Marufuji at New Japan Pro Wrestling’s King of Pro Wrestling show in October. The show is the biggest NJPW event between now and WrestleKingdom in January. The match was set up in this year’s G1 tournament when Marufuji picked up a win over Okada.
The cards for NJPW’s September Destruction in Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Kobe shows are also out. KUSHIDA will defend his IWGP Jr. Heavyweight title against BUSHI, and Katsuyori Shibata will defend his NEVER Openweight title against Bobby Fish in Tokyo. Kenny Omega will defend his Tokyo Dome title shot against YOSHI-HASHI in Hiroshima. And IWGP Intercontinental Champion Michael Elgin will defend against Tetsuya Naito in Kobe.
The tour will see Adam Cole’s return to NJPW, as he’ll face Will Ospreay in Hiroshima and will team with the Young Bucks to challenge for Ricochet, Matt Sydal, and Satoshi Kojima’s NEVER six-man tag titles in Kobe.
RAW Receives Ratings Boost
The last ten weeks of RAW ratings as compared to previous years
Without the competition of the Summer Olympics, RAW was back up to 3.3 million viewers last night, virtually identical to the last pre-Olympic show on August 1st. It was down from the 3.72 million viewers that the post SummerSlam RAW did in 2015.
The three hours averaged 3,462,000 in hour 1, 3,370,000 in hour 2 and fell to 3,113,000 in the final hour, which had a 12 minute overrun. The 8% drop in hour 3 was slightly higher than it had been in recent weeks, which may have been viewer burnout after NXT Takeover on Saturday and the 6 hour SummerSlam on Sunday night.
The show was 4th for the night on cable behind Rizzoli and Isles, Major Crimes and the O’Reilly Factor. The three individual hours of RAW were the top 3 shows for the night on cable in the 18-49 demo.
Smackdown is tonight from the Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, CT.
- Bayley makes her WWE Raw debut
- WWE Raw live results: SummerSlam fallout
- Sasha Banks won't require surgery for back injury
- Finn Balor to relinquish WWE Universal Championship
- Super J-Cup 2016 finals live results: Will Ospreay vs. Matt Sydal
Figure Four Weekly: August 17, 2016; Buff Bagwell sues WWE for unpaid Network royalties - When Rene Dupree's lawsuit against WWE over WWE Network royalties was quickly dropped a few months ago, the question coming out of it was not if there would be another such lawsuit, but when and with whom as the next plaintiff would be. The answers? August 9th and Marcus "Buff" Bagwell... Subscribers click here to continue reading.
F4W YouTube Page: Tons of clips and full free audio shows that you can tell your friends about, and much more to come! Make sure you subscribe today!
Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 22, 2016; WWE Summerslam/UFC 202/NXT Takeover previews, G1 Climax review, tons more - The biggest weekend of the summer, featuring one of UFC’s biggest fights in history, WWE’s third biggest show of the year, what theoretically is NXT’s biggest show of the year (although in reality it is its second biggest), as well as the sixth Super J Cup in history, runs from 8/19 to 8/21.
The big event is UFC 202 on 8/20 at the T Mobile Arena, featuring a rematch of the biggest money fight in company history–Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz. Their first fight, held on 3/5 in Las Vegas, did 1.6 million buys on PPV, the largest non-boxing PPV event in history. With Diaz winning, the feeling is a rematch would only be bigger. But for a number of reasons, there didn’t appear to be the excitement level expected... Subscribers click here to continue reading.
Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates for the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
WON BACK ISSUE: July 26, 1999 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Governor Jesse Ventura to referee SummerSlam main event, NSAC to evaluate UFC, tons more - With the official announcement of Jesse Ventura's participation in SummerSlam as the referee for the main event came the expected debate over his involvement. Click here to continue...
TUESDAY NEWS UPDATE
WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT
- More additions to the WWE 2K17 roster were revealed on Tuesday, with Brock Lesnar, Samoa Joe, American Alpha, Sami Zayn, Sasha Banks, Ric Flair, Razor Ramon, The Revival and others officially announced for for the game.
- Video of Goldberg’s full ring entrance in the game was also released.
- This article examines Brock Lesnar’s ability to make people believe wrestling is real.
- Shinsuke Nakamura did an interview with Sports Illustrated talking about Samoa Joe, Kenny Omega, and wanting to face John Cena at WrestleMania.
- Chinese signee Bin Wang will make his WWE debut on the promotion’s tour of China when he faces Bo Dallas in Shanghai on September 10th. Triple H announced Wang’s debut in a video.
- Former WWE champion Edge is earning quite the reputation for his quality acting work.
- Rey Mysteriosigned a one-year first look deal with the El Rey Network to develop, produce, and consult on creative projects and series.
- Denny Kass, who was a New Fabulous Kangaroo, died. Greg Oliver has an obituary.
- Though he said his knee injury is showing signs of improvement, Chris Hero had to cancel appearances for AIW, Blitzkrieg Pro, and Beyond Wrestling this weekend.
- WWNLive has a video recap of EVOLVE 67, featuring Joey Styles making an appearance and Cody Rhodes doing an interview about his return to the ring.
- RESULTS: Canadian Wrestling's Elite from the Arborg (Manitoba) Street Festival. 1) "Canadian Crusher" AJ Sanchez bested 39 Year Veteran Wildman Firpo; 2) TV Champion "Wrestling's Strongest Man" Tyler Colton retained his title against Jeremy Joseph; 3) "Fabulous Creebird" Kevy Chevy pinned JJ LaRock; 4) CWE Champion "A-List" Anderson Tyson Moore & CWE Legend "The Zombie Hunter" MENTALLO battled to a no contest in a match refereed by Arborg wrestling icon Chip "The Kid" Fletcher after outside interference by Tyler Colton and Kevy Chevy who were outraged they weren't given a title opportunity on this day;5) "Super Friend" Kory Kinkade beat "The Mastermind" Kevin Cannon; 6) CWE Champion "A-List" Anderson Tyson Moore & MENTALLO beat TV Champion & Kevy Chevy in tag team action.
UFC / MMA
- Jiangliang Li has been given a temporary suspension by the NAC after failing a drug test. He most recently scored a 1 st round KO at the TUF 23 finale in Las Vegas on July 8 th .
- The scheduled fight between Guangyou Ning and Marlon Vera this coming Saturday has been scrapped due to Visa issues with Ning. Replacing that fight will be a lightweight bout between Canadian lightweights Jeremy Kennedy (8-0) and Alex Ricci (10-3), both making their UFC debuts.
- Here is McGregor, post fight, talking to the press, not vaping.
- Here is Diaz, post fight, talking to the press, looking awfully beat up.
- Dominick Cruz was on the the nationally syndicated ESPN radio show, "The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz". Cruz talked about the Conor/Nate II fight and as per usual, Cruz was in excellent peak form. When guest host, Izzy Gutierrez put over Conor McGregor for fighting in different weight classes and made it seem as though Conor was one of the first, saying to Dom, "It's not something that you've done, but can you explain how difficult it is for somebody like Conor to go up in the weight classes that he did, essentially 25 pounds higher than he's used to fighting and taking on a guy like Nate?" Dom replied, "Yeah, in all honesty, if you do the research, I actually HAVE done it at 155 pounds, I fought the first three fights of my career"... Izzy later apologized for not knowing this and said he was a big fan of Cruz's. (thanks to Jeff Parker)
- This week on the UFC Unfiltered podcast UFC President Dana White joins Jim Norton and Matt Serra to discuss UFC 202, a possible Rumble Johnson vs. Jon Jones fight, Ronda Rousey's status for UFC in NYC, Dana's thoughts on moving forward without the Fertittas, MMA in the Olympics, and much, much more. Then, comic, actress, and author Amy Schumer sits down in studio with the guys to discuss her new book, "The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo," filming with Goldie Hawn, Kurt Metzger, looking like Holly Holm, and much more.
SUMMER EVENTS CALENDAR
- 25 - Northeast Wrestling, "Rumble in Rockland": Provident Bank Park (1 Provident Bank Park Drive) in Pomona, NY, 7:30 p.m. A meet and Greet autograph session with the stars at 4:30 p.m. First-time ever: Jushin “Thunder” Liger and Jeff Hardy team together. Plus, Ryback, Broken Matt Hardy, Michael Bennett, Mandy Leon, and more. Tickets.
- 26 - Northeast Wrestling, “Wrestling Under the Stars”: Wahconah Park in Pittsfield, MA Bell time is 7 p.m. Autograph session at 4 p.m. Plus, Cody Rhodes with Brandi Rhodes vs. Michael Bennett, Mick Foley, Jeff and Matt Hardy, Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Jerry “The King” Lawler, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, Mandy Leon, and more. Tickets.
- 26 - We Watch Wrestling, LIVE podcast recording: The Wythe Hotel 80 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249. Tickets.
- 26 - All Star Wrestling; Cloverdale, BC at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds Alice McKay Building. Doors at 630pm, Cloverdale Fair Grounds. Alice McKay Building, 6050 A, 176 St. Surrey, British Columbia V3S 4E7
- 26 - Absolute Intense Wrestling; Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, 1355 W. 70th St. Cleveland, OH
- 26 - Conflict Wrestling, Black or White; 7 PM - 10 PM, Moose Lodge, 655 Wabanaki Dr, Kitchener, Ontario N2C 2G3. Tickets.
- 26 - Bellator 160; The Pond in Anaheim, live on Spike TV, Benson Henderson vs Patricio Pitbull Freire
- 27 - ROH: Field of Honor; Brooklyn, NY, MCU Park, ROH World Championship 4 Corner Survival: Jay Lethal (c) vs. Adam Cole vs. Tetsuya naito vs. Hiroshi. Tickets.
- 27 - Northeast Wrestling: FREE show on 8/27 at 11 a.m. at the New Windsor Community Day, Kristi Babcock Memorial Park (660 Mt. Airy Road, New Windsor, NY 12553).
- 27 - Northeast Wrestling “Wrestling Under the Stars 5": Dutchess Stadium, Wappingers Falls, NY. Bell time is 7 p.m. with an autograph session at 4 p.m. Kurt Angle vs. Cody Rhodes and Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Jeff Hardy, Jerry “The King” Lawler vs. Brooklyn Brawler. Tickets.
- 27 - Battlearts: Summer Heat; 4880 Tomken Road, Mississauga, Ontario L4W 1J8
- 27 - LuchaTO at the Benelife Wellness Centre, 68 Tycos Drive, Toronto, Ontario, M6B 1V9, with Lince Dorado and a grappling exhibition.
- 27 - UFC FIGHT NIGHT, Maia vs. Condit: Vancouver, BC.
- 28 - Northeast Wrestling “Thunder”: The NEW Arena (40 Peck Road) in Bethany, CT at 4 p.m. Cody Rhodes vs. Sami Callihan. Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Travis Gordon. War King Hanson vs. Kamaitachi. TK ‘O Ryan versus Brian Anthony. Northeast Wrestling Tag Team Champions The Battles versus So Over. DIJAK and more. Tickets.
- 28 - Steel City Pro Wrestling: End Game; 222 Queenston Rd, Hamilton, ON L8K 1G6, Canada
- 28 - Destiny wrestling: Summer Heat; Battlearts Wrestling Academy. Featuring MOOSE!
- 1 - AAW; Berwyn Eagles Club, 6309 W 26th St Berwyn, IL, 7:30pm Bell Time
- 2 - MOONSHINE BRANDED WRESTLING: Italo-Canadian Hall, 1101 DiPietro Street, Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada. Doors at 6:00pm bell time 7:00pm. Tickets.
- 3 - UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett; Hamburg, Germany
- 3 - UIPW: Los Angels at the Clela Arena at 826 Clela Ave. in East Los Angeles with Teddy Hart & Coa Azul vs. Psicosis & Mariachi Loco
- 3 - ACE Collision Course: Morgan Jr. Arena, Wallington, NJ, MAIN EVENT: ACE Heavyweight Championship: TJ Marconi (c) vs Archadia
- 3 - Hoosier Pro Wrestling in Columbus, IN at the 4-H Arena
- 6 - SMASH-WRESTLING, Oshawa Music Hall, 39 King St E, Oshawa, Ontario L1H 1B2. Tickets.
- 10 - CZW in Voorhees, NJ at Flyers Skate Zone with a doubleheader with a WSU Women's show at 4 p.m. that day and the men's show at 8 p.m.
- 10 - Pure Wrestling Association: COWEX – Duncan, British Columbia
- 10 - New England Fights 25: HEROES & VILLAINS; Lewiston, MA. Tickets.
- 10 - Barrie Wrestling: Back to School 3; 49 Ferris Lane, Barrie, Ontario, Canada
- 10 - UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem; Cleveland, Ohio
- 16 - ROH: Reloaded Tour; Pittsburgh, PA, Stage AE, 7:30 pm. Tickets.
- 16 - Pure Wrestling Association: Lake Cowichan, British Columbia
- 16 - Smash vs Progress: Uncensored; Oshawa Music Hall, Oshawa, Ontario. Must be 19+ to attend.
- 16 - Pure Wrestling Association: Private Event in Ontario
- 16 - SuperKickd’d Pro Wrestling at 7:30 PM - 10 PM, The Great Hall Toronto, 1087 Queen Street West, Toronto, Ontario M6J 1H3
- 17 - ROH: Reloaded Tour; Lockport (Buffalo), NY, 7:00 pm. Tickets.
- 17 - NWA Smoky Mountain Wrestling on in Kingsport, TN at the Civic Auditorium
- 17 - Pure Wrestling Association: Alpine Club, Kitchener, Ontario
- 17 - Pure Wrestling Association: Courtenay, British Columbia
- 17 - UFC Fight Night, Poirier vs. Johnson: Hidalgo, Texas, State Farm Arena
- 17 & 18 - SMASH VS PROGRESS: Smash Wrestling welcomes our friends from Progress Wrestling. Mark Haskins and Jack Gallagher (Cruiserweight Classic), Zack Sabre Jr. Mark Andrews and more will be part of the Progress Wrestling team in a Smash vs. Progress Canada vs. UK show in Toronto at the Franklin Horner Community Center.
- 18 - Pure Wrestling Association: Gold River, British Columbia
- 18 - Alpha-1 Wrestling presents #Matrats2
- 22 - NXT; Toronto, Ontario at the Mattamy Athletic Center (the former Maple Leaf Gardens)
- 22 - All-Star Wrestling: 7:30 PM, Abbotsford Arts Center, 2329 Crescent Way, Abbotsford,
- BC V2S 3M2, Canada, LIVE EVENT
- 22- Big Time Wrestling in Morganton, NC at the Collette Rec Center features a meet & greet at 6 p.m. before the live show. Appearing are Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Cody Rhodes, Magnum T.A. and Trevor Lee.
- 23 - Big Time Wrestling in Raleigh, NC at Dorton Arena features Flair and Steamboat together at Dorton Arena for the first time in 28 years, plus Jeff & Matt Hardy, Cody Rhodes, Nasty Boys, Sabu, Magnum T.A., Ivan Koloff, Jimmy Valiant, Gangrel and Shane Helms with the meet & greet at 6 and show at 8.
- 23 - Invicta FC: Live from Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, Mo. Interim Flyweight Champion Jennifer Maia Defends Against Roxanne Modafferi
- 23 - NXT; St. Catherines, Ontario at The Meridian Centre
- 23 - Absolute Intense Wrestling: A Farewell to Johnny Gargano - 1355 West 70th St. Cleveland, OH - Tickets here.
- 23 - Pure Wrestling Association: Parksville, British Columbia
- 23 - Pro Wrestling Eclipse takes a short trip to downtown Oshawa and visits the Oshawa Mason Temple. All tickets purchased on July 24 that list the venue as the Oshawa Legion will be honoured.
- 24 - Big Time Wrestling in Spartanburg, SC at the Memorial Auditorium with the meet and greet at 5:30 and show at 7:30 with Flair, Steamboat, Hardys, Rhodes, Nasty Boys, Sabu, Magnum T.A., Ricky Morton, Robert Gibson, Gangrel and Trevor Lee.
- 24 - MCW Legends Convention at the MCW Arena in Joppa, MD at 10 a.m. featuring Bret Hart, Jimmy Hart, Howard Finkel, Honky Tonk Man, Hillbilly Jim, Paul Orndorff, Greg Valentine, Jim Ross, Bill Apter, Brutus Beefcake, Bob Orton, Tito Santana, Jim Neidhart, Tammy Sytch, Magnum T.A. and even Dennis Stamp.
- 24 - Rock Solid: Anarchy in Angus 14: A Nightmare on Mill Street, 7pm - 10pm, Angus Recreation Centre, 8527 County Rd. 10, Angus, Ontario. Tickets.
- 24 - Pure Wrestling Association: Campbell River, British Columbia
- 24 - ROH: Reloaded Tour; Duluth (Atlanta), GA 7:00 pm, tickets
- 24 - NXT in Kitchener, Ontario at The Air
- 24 - Elite Canada Championship Wrestling: New Westminster, Sapperton Pensioners Hall
- 318 Keary St, New Westminster, BC, 7:30pm Bell Time, doors at 7pm. Tickets.
- 25 - CWE: Nick "Magnus" Aldis defends the GFW title against Matt Hart of the Hart Family in Calgary.
- 25 - Rizin: Former K-1 kickboxer Minoru Kimura will make his MMA debut against former Pride fighter Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett (29-30-2)
- 25 - Pure Wrestling Association – TBA – British Columbia
- 30 - ROH: All-Star Extravaganza Weekend Day 1; Lowell (Boston), MA, Lowell Memorial Auditorium, 9:00 pm (PPV)
- Please send feedback to FeedBack@WrestlingObserver.com
- Please send show results and news tips to NewsTips@WrestlingObserver.com
- Please send Wrestling Observer Radio questions to MailBag@WrestlingObserver.com