The Latest from the F4W Staff
- John Cena to star in Transformers spinoff 'Bumblebee'
- Kenny Omega title defense set for ROH Global Wars: Chicago
- WWE Saginaw, MI, live results: Samoa Joe in action
- NJPW G1 Climax 27 night 10 results: Okada vs. Juice Robinson
- DragonKingKarl Classic Wrestling Marathon: Flashback interview with Dave Meltzer 7/31
- WOL: Raw, Becky and Cyborg, Dr. Lucha talks Rey, tons more 7/31
- B&V: NWA World Championship Wrestling from 1987! War Games build! 7/30
- WOL: UFC 214, Summerslam, Brock Lesnar vs. Jon Jones, more! 7/30
Raw is in Pittsburgh featuring Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns plus The Miz interviews Jason Jordan. Smackdown has a house show in Fort Wayne, IN.
We're looking for your thoughts on Saturday night's UFC 214 and the G-1 show yesterday in Nagoya, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We're looking for reports the dark matches and Main Event matches from Raw in Pittsburgh tonight, the Smackdown house show in Fort Wayne, IN, last night's WWE show in Youngstown, OH, and Saturday night's ROH TV tapings in Concord, NC to email@example.com.
NEW JAPAN G-1 CLIMAX TOURNAMENT TUESDAY IN KAGOSHIMA AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN ON NEW JAPAN WORLD
- Michael Elgin & Jushin Liger vs. Toru Yano & Jado
- Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Hirai Kawato vs. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi & Desperado
- David Finlay & Juice Robinson vs. Seiya Sanada & Bushi
- Kenny Omega & Chase Owens vs. Evil & Hiromu Takahashi
- Kazuchika Okada & Gedo vs. Tama Tonga & Yujiro Takahashi
- Yoshi-Hashi vs. Bad Luck Fale
- Togi Makabe vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
- Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yuji Nagata
- Tetsuya Naito vs. Hirooki Goto
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kota Ibushi
Smackdown and 205 Live will be taped Tuesday in Cleveland, with John Cena vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, winner faces Jinder Mahal at SummerSlam, and A.J. Styles vs. Kevin Owens, as well as 205 Live with Akira Tozawa vs. Ariya Daivari for a shot at Neville's title at SummerSlam.
NEW JAPAN G-1 CLIMAX TOURNAMENT WEDNESDAY IN FUKUOKA AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN ON NEW JAPAN WORLD
- Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino vs. Katsuya Kitamura & Rin Narita
- Yuji Nagata & Hirai Kawato vs. Kota Ibushi & Tiger Mask
- Hirooki Goto & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
- Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi & Desperado vs. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi & Hiromu Takahashi
- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Liger vs. Togi Makabe & David Finlay
- Juice Robinson vs. Seiya Sanada
- Michael Elgin vs. Toru Yano
- Satoshi Kojima vs. Minoru Suzuki
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Tama Tonga
- Kenny Omega vs. Evil
Only days after the one-year anniversary of WWE's most recent attempt at a brand split, SmackDown hit its lowest point since last summer with Battleground. It wouldn't be much of an issue if this were an outlier. Bad pay-per-views are bound to happen and there will always be excuses for them. Stipulations marred things at Battleground, dragging down both John Cena vs. Rusev and the main event.
WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER: July 31, 2017 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Status of rights fees, WWE Battleground review, more
What in many ways is the biggest business news story in sports, the changes in television and future of huge rights fees, in looking at UFC's opening up negotiations for its 2019 TV deal, is the lead story in the current issue, because it also is the first in a new era of declining cable and perhaps money coming from other places, and will probably indicate how WWE's negotiations go a year later.
The new issue is a double issue including a feature on the first MMA events ever held in the U.S. that have been forgotten over time, and what pro wrestling star was part of the catalyst for the organizers in coming up with the idea.
Look at what is being said publicly vs. privately regarding what UFC is hoping for out of its new deal, the aspect of timing, what it means to the overall value of UFC as well as WWE going forward, the value of UFC to FS 1 and FS 2, how Fight Pass fits in, the future of PPV for UFC, where ESPN stands and other networks and interest levels.
Read about WWE heading into SummerSlam, with the new matches, new matches being teased, matches announced and current storylines. Explore the situation with Brock Lesnar, the U.S. title match at Battleground with the unique finish, the schedule of Chris Jericho, as well as full coverage of Battleground with match-by-match coverage with star ratings and poll results.
This issue updates the G-1 Climax tournament, including a look at how the style has changed over three years, the tournament quality, the good and the bad of the business and physical demands, who is killing it, standings, schedule and a look at all the key matches.
Check out how TV ratings are going to be changing and have changed, talk of a second Superstar shakeup coming soon, a study of what characters are most popular on YouTube videos, why the pyro cutback was made, Ric Flair 30 for 30 piece, Dwayne Johnson once again talks like he was thinking of going into UFC ten years ago, notes on newcomers headed to WWE, new action figure line, new TV shows notes, Bruno Sammartino update, and The Broken Hardys update in detail with claims.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
Delaware Chancery Court Judge William Chandler ruled in favor of the World Wrestling Federation and Viacom on 6/27 in the lawsuit filed by the USA Network, which will result, officially, in September, for all WWF cable programming moving to Viacom stations TNN and MTV. Chandler ruled against USA Network's claim that their right of first refusal in the contract, which expires in September, only pertains to the four wrestling shows on the network and not to an overall marketing deal between Viacom and the WWFE as a company.
MONDAY NEWS UPDATE
Bryan and I will be back tonight talking Raw, G-1 and the rest of the MMA and pro wrestling news as well as taking questions that can be sent to email@example.com.
Sky Sports in the U.K.officially announced the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor fight would be on Sky Box Office PPV, which was pretty much known for weeks. The fight will go for 19.95 pounds in the U.K. and 24.95 pounds in Ireland. That is a lot cheaper there than the $99.95 in the U.S.
John Cena has gotten a lead role in the Transformer series movie "Bumblebee." That's a huge franchise to jump into and may put him in with Dwayne Johnson and Dave Bautista in the sense he'll be a legitimate Hollywood name.
For Raw tonight, besides the already announced Braun Strowman vs. Samoa Joe vs. Roman Reigns main event, also scheduled is Big Show vs. Big Cass, Bayley vs. Nia Jax and Miz TV with Jason Jordan. Kurt Angle will be super over tonight since the show is in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh also has the rep for the quietest fans in the U.S., so if it's not a good show, it'll probably drag a lot as time goes on.
TMZ had a report on Chris Jericho in an incident after his Friday night tribute concert for the late musician David Z. The report said that a lot of people were approaching Jericho for autographs, he was signing, then he wanted to leave and got frustrated and told people he wanted to leave. One person started yelling at him and then they started swearing back-and-forth which was taped and the video is available on the TMZ site. Jericho issued an apology for his actions saying, "David Z was a good friend of mine and I was mentally and emotionally shattered after paying tribute to him and essentially saying goodbye to him Friday night. I was not in a good state of mind at that time and instead of ignoring a pushy (aka rude) fan, which is what I would usually do, I snapped. My apologizes to all involved and God bless David Z."
Bovada has put out odds regarding a potential Brock Lesnar vs. Jon Jones fight.
- Will the fight happen before July 15, 2018: Yes -160 No +120
- Who wins: Jon Jones - 350 Brock Lesnar +265
- For those who thought Paige was backstage at Raw based on a Snapchat clip, that was Sasha Banks.
- WWE and Mattel have come to terms on a new deal that leaves Mattel as the exclusive toy licensee in the U.S. through 2021.
- Tonight after Raw will be a new episode of Bring It To the Table.
- Pro Wrestling Sheet reported that Kairi Sane suffered a concussion and a neck injury at the Mae Young Classic tapings a few weeks ago, but it's expected that she'll be ready to return quickly.
- The Bell Centre in Montreal is advertising this for Friday night: Jinder Mahal vs. Sami Zayn (local angle) for WWE title A.J. Styles vs. Kevin Owens for U.S. title New Day vs. Ascension for tag titles Naomi & Charlotte Flair vs. Natalya & Carmella
- An article on Mayweather vs. McGregor and UFC.
- GFW is doing a one day sale for its show on Saturday night at the Richmond County Bank Ballpark in Staten Island. Using the code ONEDAY you can get tickets for $10 off in the $25 section.
- A trailer for a video of the Lucha Ilimitado show in Yakima, WA about the commission having problems with the show.
- CWE on 8/25 in Winnipeg at Rookie's Sports Bar with Chase Owens. They also run tonight in Stonewall, Manitoba with Tyler Colton vs. Kaz Karter on top with Nikita Koloff as a manager and Kelly Klein and Silas Young from ROH and Kaito Kiyomiya from NOAH.
- UPW on Saturday night at the Eagles Club in Rochester, NY with Nick Ando defending the heavyweight title against Bobby Fish plus Abyss appears. They also have a show on 8/12 in Rochester, NY at Pineapple Jack's with a 585 live tournament.
- UCW from Saturday night in Nelson, New Zealand: Marcus Kool & Levi & Stan Murdoch & T-Cole & Abraxas b T-Rex & Falcon Kid & Hayden Daniels & James Shaw & Hustla, Roddy Gunn b Dr. Feelgood, Tabitha b JPE,Simon Seven b Marc Morales, Taylor Adams & Mauler Clementson b Deadly Sins, Paul Sayers b Brook Duncan, Kingston Eclipse b Shane Sinclair. They announced Mick Foley for a show on 2/10 in Christchurch with more overseas names to be announced. (thanks to Steve O)
- Beyond Wrestling from yesterday in Worcester, MA: Brian Milonas b Ace Romero, Josh Briggs b Cam Zagami, Tracy Williams b Mickey Webb, Mike Verna & Ryan Galeone & Dan Barry b Da Hoodz & Anthony Stone, Jay Freddie b Rory Gulak, Tom Lawlor b Bobby Fish, Brandon Watts b AR Fox
- Progress Wrestling from yesterday in Camden, London: Chris Brookes & Kid Lykos b Aaron Solow & Ricky Starks to get a tag title shot, Chief Deputy Dunne b Chuck Mambo, James Drake & Zack Gibson b Alex Cupid & Dillon D'Angelo, James Davis b Rob Lynch to get an Atlas title shot, Pete Dunne b Jack Sexsmith,Toni Storm b Candice LeRae to win the Progress women's title, Trent Seven & Tyler Bate b Jimmy Havoc & Mark Haskins to keep the tag team titles (Havoc turned on Haskins after the match), Keith Lee b Travis Banks.
- An article on Niles Plonk of the NWL promotion.
- Absolute Intense Wrestling on 9/15 in Cleveland at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel features an appearance by Dean Malenko.
Today in Pro Wrestling History: WWF WrestleFest 1988
F4W Online / Wrestling Observer Vegas Convention Event Info
August 17-21; All times are TBA; Full information on the group Facebook page; Activities subject to change
For ticketing information go to https://f4wvegas.brownpapertickets.com/
- Thursday: Meet at the High Roller for Bowling at the Link; Party at Carnival Court at Hurrah's
- Friday: Kiss Mini Golf tournament at the Rio; Dinner at Texas de Brazil; Suite party (location TBA)
- Saturday: Future Stars of Wrestling show featuring Disco Inferno, Stephan Bonnar, Phil Baron, Shotzi Blackheart, and co-main events: 3-way match with Leva Bates vs. Mia Yim vs. Hudson Envy, and "Filthy" Tom Lawlor vs. Thomas Santell (f.k.a. Antonio "The Promise" Thomas); NXT viewing party at the Sci-Fi Center
- Sunday: SUPER CHINA BUFFET DAY at the Wicked Spoon Buffet at 1pm; SummerSlam viewing party at the Sci-Fi Center
- Monday: Goodbye lunch at Chen Chen at NY NY
- All website members will also receive a 15% discount on any purchases from the Las Vegas Fight Shop for the entirety of the convention
Texas de Brazil, Wicked Spoon, NXT and Summer Slam will all be sign up and pre-paid events, prices and collection begin in mid July~!
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com