THE LATEST NEWS
- The Miz vs. Daniel Bryan set for WWE SummerSlam
- Jay Lethal to defend ROH World title at All In
- Zelina Vega vs. Lana rematch added to WWE SmackDown
- WWE Raw ratings down three percent despite Ronda Rousey match
- Four-way match announced for All In
- NJPW taking 'disciplinary action' against Tama Tonga
- ROH reveals details for All In on HonorClub
- E! renews Total Bellas for season four
- WWE Raw video highlights: Ronda Rousey vs. Alicia Fox
THE LATEST AUDIO
- WOL: RAW, SummerSlam, Carmella, G-1, Tama Tonga, All In, more! 8/7
- Wrestling Weekly: Raw rundown, G1 storylines 8/7
- DragonKingKarl Classic Wrestling Show: 1963 was a huge year in wrestling 8/7
- WOR: All In, G-1, RAW, Sam Adonis, UFC weigh-ins, mailbag, more! 8/7
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: The next step in WWE's Women's Evolution
WWE's "women's evolution" took its logical next step last week as the company announced its first all-women's pay-per-view. Aptly, the PPV will be called "Evolution." It will take place at the Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York on October 28. WWE is hyping that over 50 wrestlers from the past and present will be involved, with Trish Stratus, Lita, and Beth Phoenix already advertised.
The lead stories in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter cover the lives, careers and deaths of Brian Christopher Lawler, Nikolai Volkoff and Brickhouse Brown.
With Lawler, look at his death, his recent arrest, the decision to not bail him out, growing up in Memphis, how he started in pro wrestling, how he got his first push and his USWA heyday.
Look the death of Nikolai Volkoff, what led to it, the true story of his name and where he got the gimmick as opposed to the public explanation that was always told.
Find out about the strange circumstances surrounding the death of Brickhouse Brown, how he was pronounced dead and came back to life, and his description of what happened when he was dead the first time.
Read the update on the current SummerSlam show, business notes, Lesnar vs. Reigns, as well as the market value of tickets for all the rest of the summer major events.
Also there is more on the WWE FOX deal, new programming that both has and hasn't been discussed, updated contract information, new season of Total Divas, why Cain Velasquez was training at the Performance Center, and Sting talks if he will wrestle again.
Look at the debut of ITV World of Sport wrestling, why it was put on network TV in that time slot, ratings for the show and what they mean, who watched, why people were surprised about the viewership and what it means.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
TUESDAY NEWS UPDATE
- Sami Zayn posted a picture and wrote about undergoing surgery for a torn rotator cuff: “Who ever said bi-lateral rotator cuff surgery wasn't fun? I get to wear a gown!” Zayn underwent surgery for his torn right rotator cuff in June, and it was noted that he’d be having surgery on the left one in six or seven weeks. Zayn said then that he hoped to return in time to be in the mix for WrestleMania season.
- WWE posted a video hyping Keith Lee’s NXT debut airing on tomorrow night’s show. Lee is still using his “Bask in My Glory” catchphrase in WWE and faced Marcel Barthel (the former Axel Dieter Jr.) in his first match.
- Buddy Murphy & Tony Nese vs. Kalisto & Lince Dorado has been added to tonight’s 205 Live. Mustafa Ali vs. Hideo Itami will headline the episode.
- Ariya Daivari put out a video hyping that he’s coming back to 205 Live soon.
- Hulk Hogan was a guest at Tampa Bay Buccaneers training camp today.
- PWinsider reported that Hogan, who lives in Florida, is backstage at SmackDown in Orlando tonight. They noted that Mae Young Classic participant Kaitlyn is also backstage.
- Madison Rayne and Mia Yim were interviewed by TVInsider ahead of the Mae Young Classic. Rayne spoke about wanting to be signed by WWE after the tournament: “That’s 100 percent my hope. That’s 100 percent my goal. That’s what I’m training for and mentally preparing myself for because I think if you don’t go into something like this prepared to make it to the finals and to win the finals and watch your career take off in an entirely new direction, then you're short-changing yourself.”
- 2K Sports released the first screenshot for WWE 2K19.
- Glenn Jacobs (Kane) spoke to Rolling Stone about becoming mayor of Knox County, Tennessee and reiterated that he hasn’t ruled out still making special appearances for WWE every now and then.
- Jacobs also appeared on ESPN’s Outside the Lines today.
- Chad Gable, Heath Slater & Rhyno defeated Mike Kanellis & The Ascension and No Way Jose defeated Curt Hawkins on this week’s Main Event tapings.
- Jeff Hardy appeared on WKMG TV in Orlando to promote tonight’s SmackDown.
- WWE Shop has released a T-shirt for Sasha Banks and Bayley’s Boss & Hug Connection team.
- The G1 is back in action overnight for the final show before the block finals. Kenny Omega, Kota Ibushi, and Tetsuya Naito are still alive in the B Block. Omega has 12 points, while Ibushi and Naito both have 10. If Omega defeats Toru Yano, Naito is eliminated due to Omega holding the tiebreaker over him. Omega and Ibushi will face off on August 11 in a match that may decide the block winner. Tomorrow morning’s show will begin at 5:30 a.m. Eastern time and will be headlined by the first-ever singles match between Los Ingobernables de Japon stablemates Naito and SANADA. Here’s the full card: Tetsuya Naito vs. SANADA Kenny Omega vs. Toru Yano Kota Ibushi vs. Tama Tonga Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Juice Robinson Kazuchika Okada & Gedo vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & David Finlay Togi Makabe & Toa Henare vs. Michael Elgin & Shota Umino Jay White & Yoh vs. EVIL & BUSHI YOSHI-HASHI & Sho vs. Hangman Page & Chase Owens Minoru Suzuki & El Desperado vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tanga Loa
- Michael Elgin tweeted an update on his bicep injury and noted that no serious damage was found: “Update - no tear in the bicep. Some scratches to the muscle and bruising/injury to the bicep head. A couple weeks of light pulling movements (but I just trained back and a few sets of biceps so it's good to go) well ok, it was painful. But no servere damage”
- MLW announced that John Hennigan, Tommy Dreamer, Shane Strickland, Kotto Brazil & Barrington Hughes will face Sami Callihan, Jimmy Havoc, Leon Scott, Sawyer Fulton & a partner that has yet to be announced in a War Games match at their show in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on September 6.
- Brandi Rhodes has been cleared to return to the ring following her clavicle injury.
- With Kid Lykos out injured, Jonathan Gresham will be filling in as Chris Brookes’ partner at La Boom in New York City tonight as they defend the PROGRESS Tag Team titles against LAX.
- ROH announced that they’ll be coming to Stage AE in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on November 3 for a set of TV tapings. Survival of the Fittest 2018 will then take place in Columbus, Ohio on November 4. The winner will earn a future shot at the ROH World Championship.
- Kazuchika Okada was featured in GQ Japan.
- Georges St-Pierre isn’t interested in facing Anderson Silva right now because he thinks he has a lot more to lose than win in the matchup.
- Dustin Poirier claimed that GSP getting a title shot at lightweight before him isn’t going to happen.
- Dana White spoke about his recent meeting with Donald Trump and indicated that the UFC would be interested in Ben Askren once Askren isn’t under contract with One FC.
- White also said he wants Eddie Alvarez to stay with the UFC but would understand if Alvarez gets an offer elsewhere that he thinks is better for his family.
- Joe Rogan called extreme weight cutting “sanctioned cheating” and said it’s cheating at a higher scale than using PEDs.
- Dominick Cruz said he deserves a title shot against TJ Dillashaw.
- Joseph Benavidez vs. Ray Borg is set for UFC 229 in Las Vegas on October 6.
- Israel Adesanya thinks he’s already gotten into Derek Brunson’s head.
Daily Professional Wrestling History: Kurt Angle wins TNA title from Sting
12th Annual F4W Empire Vegas Convention
Greetings friends and fans of the F4W / Wrestling Observer website. The 12th annual F4W / Wrestling Observer Empire Las Vegas Convention~! is just around the corner.
This year's event will be taking place in Las Vegas from August 16th to the 20th and will again be in conjunction with WWE's SummerSlam weekend a.k.a. Super China Buffet Day~! There will still be the usual events, but our big draw will be WWE's summer blockbuster PPV, SummerSlam. As per tradition, we will all gorge ourselves at a Las Vegas buffet, and then watch SummerSlam in a rented out movie theater. All information and ticketing prices are available now. Sign up ASAP as spots are limited for some events.
This year will also feature a Future Stars Wrestling show which will include the first ever Granny's Doubles Match Classic! Already booked for the show are the teams Mia Yim & Leva Bates, Shotzi Blackheart & ???, Samantha Heights & Brittany Blake, and Miranda Alize & Kylie Rae. Also just booked for the show is a tag team Grappling Battel~! featuring Bryan Alvarez & Jack Jamieson vs. The Beach Bums (PeachMachine & Mikey G), You won't want to miss this show! Check out the convention's Facebook page for all additional information.
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!