- Roman Reigns vs. Rowan set for WWE SmackDown's FOX premiere
- CM Punk gets tryout for WWE Backstage FS1 studio show
- Hall of Famer BJ Penn released by UFC after street fight videos
- WWE announces pre-show for Wednesday's NXT episode
- WOL: CM Punk and WWE, Smackdown, NXT, AEW, more! 9/27
- Wrestling Weekly: Les Thatcher on the art of being a commentator 9/27
- B&V&G: Granny, NXT, WWF Superstars of Wrestling from 1992! 9/26
We're doing a poll on tonight's ROH PPV so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to firstname.lastname@example.org" target="_blank">@juno.com
We're also looking for reports from the Raw show tonight in El Paso, NXT in Independence, MO and Orlando, FL and New Japan in Lowell, MA to email@example.com
Saturday we're looking for reports from the dual brand WWE show in Prescott, AZ, NXT in St. Charles, MO and Fort Pierce and New Japan in New York.
F4W NEWSLETTER: NXT's USA Network era starts strong Joseph Currier gives his thoughts on NXT's live premiere. Plus, Vinny's TV reviews.
NXT took advantage of their head start over AEW by hitting a home run with last week's live premiere.
It wasn't surprising that NXT's first live episode was good -- it would have been pretty shocking if it wasn't. Even if there have been occasional peaks and valleys, NXT has always been a good show. Triple H and his team know what they're doing and the roster is stacked with talent. But NXT was able to pass one of their most important tests: creating a show that feels must-see and different from what they were already offering viewers.
It's become clear that NXT is going to be a place that features all of WWE's non-main roster sub-brands. In addition to the regular NXT talent on display, the show featured an appearance by WWE United Kingdom Champion WALTER and his Imperium stablemates. There was also a Cruiserweight Championship number one contender's match, with Lio Rush making his return and defeating Oney Lorcan.
Due to the final episodes of the USA Network series "Suits," the first two live editions of NXT are being split across USA and the WWE Network. Last week's USA Network hour featured a really good fatal four-way number one contender's match that saw Candice LeRae defeat Mia Yim, Bianca Belair, and Io Shirai to become NXT Women's Champion Shayna Baszler's next challenger. Cameron Grimes squashed Sean Maluta, and Roderick Strong became the new NXT North American Champion by defeating Velveteen Dream. The first NXT broadcast of the USA Network era ended with every member of Undisputed Era holding a title.
WON NEWSLETTER: Everything changes next week, Impact moving to AXS
With perhaps the most important week for the U.S. industry in a decade coming up, a double issue this week:
Goes through details of the moves by WWE and AEW, what plans are, advertisers wants, promotion and much more.
Includes an extensive look at Battle of Los Angeles, New Japan's upcoming big shows and Tokyo Dome plans, what to learn from the NXT ratings and much more.
The lead story talks about WWE's big week, the importance of the different shows, overdoing nostalgia, ticket sales, announcing changes, 205 Live's future, plans for all the shows, what demos to look at, what happened with AEW and ITV, NXT, Smackdown and AEW on the West Coast, replays shows, Smackdown ad rates, as well as a look at Hell in a Cell.
Impact to AXS and what the plans are for specials leading to the regular show.
The keys in week two's NXT show and the audience change.
Brock Lesnar's future, John Hennigan coming in, CM Punk, former UFC legend talks coming to WWE, Shayna Baszler talks her career, WWE injuries, WWE stock update, most-watched shows on WWE Network for the past week, as well as a look at every WWE & NXT arena event over the past week with results, highlights and business notes.
NJPW coverage of Destruction in Kobe, Tokyo Doe direction, King of Pro Wrestling, the Young Lions Cup and match-by-match coverage with star ratings.
Battle of Los Angeles, Bandido's win, past winners, other PWG alumni, business notes, the good and the bad, the stars of the weekend, the stars of the future, Aramis, Alex Zayne, plus match-by-match coverage with star ratings.
Full coverage of the UFC from Mexico City along with business notes.
Full coverage of all the WWE television shows from the past week.
Results of all the major pro wrestling events around the world over the past week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
FRIDAY NEWS UPDATE
For the weekend WWE shows, El Paso tonight is a Raw show but no Seth Rollins or Becky Lynch, nor Bray Wyatt. Saturday in Prescott, AZ is a joint brand show with Roman Reigns, A.J. Styles, Braun Strowman, Ricochet and Rey Mysterio as among the headliners. Sunday in Tucson has Rollins and Lynch back for a joint-branded show.
Former star Samu Anoa'i of such teams as The Headshrinkers and SST underwent a 13 1/2 hour liver transplant operation. His son Lance noted his father was in a lot of pain after surgery. Samu has been battling liver cancer for some time.
Seth Rollins deleted his Twitter account after he ended up with a twitter skirmish with Sasha Banks. Keep in mind that Rollins' fiancee is feuding with Banks and twitter is often used to set up angles in WWE although this doesn't look to be the case.
Tito Ortiz isn't happy about the upcoming ESPN 30 for 30 piece on the Ortiz vs. Chuck Liddell feud. Ortiz said that he's sure ESPN will be disappointed to see their work chopped up and edited by Dana White and called it a shameful hack job.
Weigh-ins for the main Bellator fights from tomorrow night at the Forum in Los Angeles:
- Lyoto Machida (186) vs, Gegard Mousasi (186)
- Patricio Pitbull Freire (144.9) vs. Juan Archuleta (144.6) for featherweight title in featherweight Grand Prix
- A.J. McKee (144.9) vs. Georgi Kharakanyan (145) in featherweight Grand Prix
- Darrion Caldwell (144.9) vs. Henry Corrales (144.4) in featherweight Grand Prix
- Daniel Weichel (144.2) vs. Saul Rogers (144.8) in featherweight Grand Prix
The main card airs exclusively on DAZN at 10 p.m. Eastern. Bellator also has a show tonight from Dublin that airs on Paramount at 9 p.m. Eastern. Part of the show is on the Bellator App at this moment.
Weigh-ins for tomorrow's UFC show from Copenhagen, Denmark, which starts at 11 a.m. on ESPN+:
- Nohelin Hernandez (136) vs. Jack Shore (135)
- Marc Diakiese (155) vs. Lando Vannata (155)
- Macy Chiasson (136) vs Lina Lansberg (136)
- Giga Chikadze (146) vs. Brandon Davis (146)
- Siyar Bahadurzada (171) vs. Ismail Naurdiev (171)
- Alessio Di Chirico (186) vs. Makhmud Maradov (185)
- Alen Amedovski (185) vs.; John Phillips (186)
- Nicolas Dalby (171) vs. Alex Oliveira (171)
- Michel Oleksiejczuk (205) vs. Ovince Saint Preux (206()
- Ion Cutelaba (205) vs. Khalil Rountree (205)
- Gilbert Burns (171) vs Gunnar Nelson (171)
- Danilo Belluardo (156) vs. Mark Madsen (155)
- Jack Hermansson (185) vs. Jared Cannonier (185)
- Rusev just officially became a U.S. citizen after 14 years of living in this country.
- A story on Jerry Lawler returning to Raw.
- BetOnline has these odds for Hell in a Cell Seth Rollins +300 vs. Bray Wyatt -500 Becky Lynch +200 vs. Sasha Banks -300
- A new Hidden Gems show on the WWE Network is the April 8, 1990 Superclash IV show in St. Paul during the end of the AWA with Paul Diamond & The Trooper (Del Wilkes) vs. Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom in a cage match, Masa Saito vs. Larry Zbyszko for the AWA title with Nick Bockwinkel as referee, Kokina (Yokozuna) vs. Nord the Barbarian, Tommy Jammer vs. Tully Blanchard, Baron Von Raschke vs. Col. DeBeers and more.
- Adam Cole was pulled from the current NXT Midwest tour. He hasn't wrestled in a several weeks and has had a coast on his right wrist.
- Cameron Grimes will be doing a meet and greet for the Evolve shows coming to Atlanta and Concord, NC. Austin Theory defends his Evolve title against AR Fox in Atlanta. They also announced Fox & Leon Ruff defending the tag titles in Concord against Theory and a partner who will be named on Monday. Also at meet and greets in both cities are Johnny Gargano, Tommaso Ciampa, Kassius Ohno, Babatunde and Arturo Ruas, while William Regal will be appearing but only in Atlanta.
- Tickets for the Crown Jewel show on Halloween night in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia will be going on sale Monday.
- Edge announced today that due to family duties he is leaving the Edge & Christian podcast. Christian said he would be continuing the podcast.
- A story on Mandy Rose. (thanks to Mike Kuzmuk)
- A story on George Kittle of the San Francisco 49ers at Raw.
- A story on Conor McGregor business (thanks to Dave Teixeira)
- Tracy Cortez vs. Duda Santana has been added to the 11/16 show in Sao Paulo,Brazil. Cortez replaced Leah Letson, who pulled out for undisclosed reasons.
- Andre Barriault vs. Jun Yong Park has been added as a middleweight fight on the 12/21 show in Busan, South Korea.
- A Young Bucks interview from Bleacher Report.
- Impact tonight at 10 p.m. on The Pursuit Channel has the Brian Cage/Melissa Santos wedding plus Tessa Blanchard vs. David Crist, Madison Rayne vs. Tenille Dashwood and Mahabali Shera vs. Cousin Jake.
- A story on Steve Austin's beer IPA.
- AAW on 9/28 in Chicago at the Logan Square Auditorium has Sami Callihan vs. Josh Alexander for the AAW title, David Starr & Eddie Kingston vs. Curt Stallion & Jake Something, Allysin Kay vs. Kimber Lee, Darby Allin vs. Fatu plus more.
- Pro Wrestling Eve from earlier today in London: Jetta b Priscilla Kelly, Gisele Shaw b Holidead, Jinny b Kanji, Nina Samuels won three-way over Tsukasa Fujimoto and Sammii Jayne, Mercedes Blaze b Trish Adora, Roxxy b Skye Smitson, Emi Sakura b Solo Darling, Rhia O'Reilly b Jayla Dark no DQ. Jayla Dark has her retirement match on tomorrow' Eve show in London at the Stratford Circus at Theater Square against Fujimoto. Jetta & Erin Angel vacated the tag team titles and said they would give a reason at a later time. The promotion announced a tournament for the titles. Sierra Loxson came out and talked about her recovery from a broken back and that she would be wrestling next year. (thanks to Shannon Walsh and wrestlingwithdemons.net)
- Mick Foley, Ted DiBiase Ricky Steamboat, Brutus Beefcake, The Godfather and Terri Runnels have been announced for the Hamilton Comic Con on 10/19 and 10/20 in Hamilton, ONT as part of a Legends of Wrestling Reunion theme.
- WAR on 10/5 in Lima, OH at the Bradfield Community Center.
- Innovate Wrestling on 9/28 in Kingsport, TN at the Civic Auditorium.
- There is an autograph signing at the famed Harry's Hofbrau in San Leandro, CA tomorrow from Noon to 3 p.m. with Chavo Guerrero Jr., Cryme Tyme, The Godfather, Ron Simmons, Teddy Long and Stevie Ray.
- River City Wrestling and World Class Revolution have a show tonight in Selma, TX at Retama Park with Stephan Bonnar, MVP, Fallah Bahh vs. Kongo Kong, Kiera Hogan, Hernandez, Rodney Mack and more.
- Jimmy Valiant appears on 10/5 for Hoosier Pro Wrestling at the 4-H Fairgrounds in Columbus, IN.
- Caveman Ugg & Hartley Jackson vs. Adam Brooks & Slex has been added to the 10/11 Melbourne City Wrestling show.
- Defy tonight in Seattle at Washington Hall has Schaff defending his Defy title against Joey Janela, Bestia 666 vs. Rey Hours, Darby Allin vs. Cody Chhun, Douglas James vs. Killer Kross and more, including Super Crazy.
- All Star Wrestling tonight in Vancouver, BC at the Labor Centre.
- Schadenfreude and Friends from Tuesday night in Manchester, UK: Chris Brookes b Dani Luna, Kyle Fletcher b Joe Nelson Tyler Bate b Dean Allmark, Invisible El Phantasmo b Real El Phantasmo, Chris Ridgeway b Nco Angelo, Charli Evans & Rickey Shane Page b Gene Dunny & Los Federales Santos Jr. in a life match.
- MLW Fusion TV tomorrow night at 9 p.m. Eastern has Mance Warner vs. Jimmy Havoc in a bunkhouse match.
- 559 Fights returns to Visalia,CA at the Convention Center on 11/9.
- Rory Gulak will be based out of Sydney, Australia for an unspecified length of time helping train PWA.
- Combate Americas on 10/18 in Monterrey, Mexico, live on Univsion with Levy Marroquin (12-3) vs. Enrique Gonzalez (80-3) as the main event.
- There will be a screening of No Holds Barred on 10/2 at 9:30 p.m. at the Alamo Drafthouse in Brooklyn. This is Hulk Hogan's first movie built around a match with Zeus, who later became his wrestling rival, paled by Tom "Tiny" Lister.
- MCW Pro Wrestling on 10/5 in Joppa, MD with a Noon to 5 p.m. convention with Kane, D-Von Dudley, Tito Santana, Joey Ryan and Rene Michelle,plus a show that night with Ryan and a main event of Ken Dixon vs. Drolix in a stairway to hell match.
- Pro Wrestling Revolver on 11/5 in Dayton at The Brightside. they also have a 10/4 show in West Des Moines, IA at the Val Air Ballroom with Brian Cage VS. JT Dunn and Sami Callihan vs. Tessa Blanchard in street fight, plus Jake Crist vs. Daga vs.Arik Cannon vs. Ace Austin, Lance Archer vs. Ace Romero and more.
- A story on pro wrestling in Washington, DC. (thanks to Chris Cruise)
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Razor Ramon wins vacant WWF Intercontinental Title
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!