WWE SURVIVOR SERIES 2015 FALLOUT
A New WWE Heavyweight Champion was crowned last night at WWE Survivor Series(Check out Dave Meltzer's recap) but it was quickly taken away when Sheamus cashed in his Money in the Bank. In the WWE World Heavyweight title tournament, Roman Reigns first defeated Alberto del Rio in the semi-finals and then his "best friend" Dean Ambrose in the finals to win the title. After refusing to shake HHH's hand post-match, Reigns then speared Hunter. Out of nowhere, Sheamus entered the ring, cashed in his Money in the Bank contract, and after two brogue kicks pinned Reigns for the title.
Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer with the post-Survivor Series wrap-up show, all the matches and angles, is Roman Reigns the next Lex Luger, and more! Plus, New Japan notes, tons of mailbag questions and more! A fun show as always so check it out~!
The Bryan & Vinny Show is back with our post-Survivor Series wrap-up show! SHEAMUS IS THE NEW CHAMPION WTF! All the matches top-to-bottom, thoughts on the storyline with Roman Reigns and where it's probably going, and tons more! A fun show as always so check it out~!
FEEDBACK AND REPORT REQUESTS
We're looking for your thoughts on last night's Survivor Series, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to Dave Meltzer
We're looking for live Raw reports tonight from Nashville as well, with Superstars matches, dark matches and anything else that wouldn't be evident from the live show. We're also looking for reports on last night's Lucha Underground tapings as well as the NXT shows this weekend from Venice and Fort Pierce, FL at Dave Meltzer
NEW JAPAN TAG LEAGUE 2015 FROM ISHIKAWA AT 4:30 A.M. EASTERN AND 1:30 A.M. PACIFIC EARLY TUESDAY/LATE MONDAY
Daniels & Kazarian vs. Fale & Tonga
Bennett & Taven vs. Gallows & Anderson
Nagata & Nakanishi vs. Okada & Yoshi-Hashi
Smackdown and Main Event will be taped on Tuesday in Indianapolis.
Figure Four Weekly
Figure Four Weekly (11/16/15): Rey Mysterio vs. Low-Ki and The Anatomy of a Dream Match
A road report for Jersey All-Pro Wrestling's 19th Anniversary show takes a deep look at the latest match in Rey Mysterio's dream match tour vs. Low-Ki.
Wrestling Observer Newsletter
We have one of the biggest issues of the year, with such a huge news week this past week. We look at exactly what went into Holly Holm's victory over Ronda Rousey, a story on the life and times of Nick Bockwinkel, the Reid Flair angle and build to Survivor Series, Destination America dropping wrestling, and the 104-year-old attendance record being broken, as well as the story behind the firing of Billy Gunn, an update on The Rock at WrestleMania, La Sombra to WWE, the AAA world title gets decided and a lot more are headline stories in the new double issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter which is on the site right now.
If you have an interest in history, this is a huge issue, as well as a perspective on what happened in the most talked about UFC fight in history.
We look at the fight, the background of Holly Holm, what is going on in Rousey's life, what led to the upset, thoughts on a rematch, what it means for business, the early business notes on the fight including where PPV may come in, previous fights like this, and what happened after the fight. We look at UFC's biggest upsets, the gambling perspective, rematch odds, business notes and match-by-match coverage with poll results.
The life and times of Nick Bockwinkel is one of the best bios we've done, with comments from people whose careers he has touched, my own personal thoughts on Bockwinkel, what current WWE superstar had his career path changed greatly because of a suggestion by Bockwinkel to an independent promoter, a look at his life, his career, some of his most famous matches, his career title history, the controversy over Hulk Hogan not getting the AWA title, his place in the business when it changed and life after wrestling.
We also look at the Reid Fliehr angle, how it was set up, comments by Ric Flair, how ESPN got exposed in its wrestling coverage, the Owen Hart DVD and more.
The Latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter: November 23, 2015 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Holm defeats Rousey, Nick Bockwinkel passes away, more
You can also order the print Observer right now and get it delivered to your door via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org" target="_blank">email@example.com
You can also order print issues at www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the United States, it is $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can get one free classic issue of your choice sent to you today. With a 40 issue subscription, you can get two free classic issues sent to you today. We've got coverage of every major PPV event and world wide spectacular, every major star switching promotions, histories of companies like FMW, Rings and New Japan, retirement and obit issues of every major star who fits into those descriptions over the past 11 years, as well as our biggest issue every year, the annual awards issue, and our most controversial issue of every year, the Hall of Fame issue.
Click here for the most requested Wrestling Observer back issues.
TODAY'S DAILY UPDATE
- Bryan and I will be back tonight talking Raw as well as taking your e-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nothing thus far announced for Raw, which takes place in Nashville. The Buffalo Bills face the unbeaten New England Patriots in the NFL game. It will be interesting to see if the first hour curiosity coming off the title switches is enough to deliver a rating and how well they can keep that audience past the first hour.
- It didn't appear smart money came in, at least not significantly on last night's show. While Roman Reigns was a 60-to-1 favorite to beat Alberto Del Rio, and Undertaker & Kane were 20-to-1 favorites, everyone could figure those results. Dolph Ziggler was a favorite and Reigns was only a -210 favorite over Ambrose in the finals (thanks to David Taylor)
- WWE ended up the No 2 searched term on Google with 500,000 searches, but that's misleading because a lot of the searches had to do with ISIS, and the searches were stronger no Saturday than Sunday. The Alvarez vs. Cotto fight had 1.2 million searches on Friday and Saturday.
- The movie "Spectre," with Dave Bautista, was No. 2 at the box office behind the Hunger Games in the U.S. this past weekend with $15,043,729 to give it a current total of $154,146,608 domestic. I was also No. 2 in Australia (thanks to James Stanios)
- Announced last night on the PPV is the WWE would be doing a new reality show called "Ride Along" where two WWE performers will be talking in a car and it would be filmed. They also announced Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels as new guests on the Stone Cold Podcast and a new series called "Edge & Christian's Show That Totally Reeks of Awesomeness."
- WWE stock closed down three cents per share today to $17.22.
- Raw on 2/15 will be from the Arrowhead Center in Anaheim. Tickets go on sale on 12/11.
- A story on Titus O'Neil filmed an episode of the show "Tanked" on Animal Planet this past week. The show will air in April. O'Neil, who I believe will be called by his real name, Thaddeus Bullard, said he wanted a University of Florida theme and not a WWE theme.
- Dolph Ziggler will be doing a comedy show at Kowloon's, the Chinese restaurant in Saugus, MA, that is the big pro wrestler hangout when they run in Boston. The show is scheduled for 12/12.
- An interview with the Dudleys - from talkSPORT's Gorilla Position podcast
- Tryouts for the spring 2016 season of Ultimate Fighter will take place on 12/14 in Las Vegas at the Red Rock Casino. They are looking for women's strawweights, women's bantamweights and male light heavyweights. Candidates must be between the ages of 21 and 34 and have .500 or better records in MMA with a minimum of three pro fights. Applications, which must be brought to the tryouts. Registration starts at 8 a.m. Fighters will be required to grapple and hit pads ad bring their own gear. The show will film in January and February and air starting in April.
- The Las Vegas Review-Journal has a story on the UFC production unit
- TNA will be announcing a code on Wednesday on Dixie Carter's Twitter for tickets to the TV tapings from 1/5 to 1/9 in Bethlehem, PA.
- A story by Mike Mooneyham on Bill Apter's new autobiography
- Martin Dasko, a pro wrestler at Santino Marella's school, interviewed Misha Cirkunov from the UFC
- CZW on 12/12 has its annual Cage of Death show at Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ. The show will be at 8 p.m. Matt Tremont vs. Devon Moore vs. AR Fox vs. Masada for the CZW title headlines.
- One Championships has announced a 12/11 show in Manila, Philippines at the Mall of Asia Arena. They expect a huge crowd with Philippines favorite Brandon Vera facing Shi Lewis Perry in a match to determine the first One heavyweight champion. They also have a brother and sister on the same show, with Angela Lee, who has gotten a lot of attention, as well as her younger brother, Christian Lee, both on the same show.
- Jim Connors, who was the Time Warner Cable News Sports Director in Raleigh, passed away on Saturday at the age of 51. Connors conducted the Bruiser Brody shoot interview and also published wrestling results in different Philadelphia newspapers during the 80s.
- Premier Wrestling on Saturday night in Gilroy, CA at the IFDES Lodge-Portuguese Hall with Jeff Cobb (6-3-1), Timothy Thatcher (4-2-1) and Joe Graves (2-1-1) in a round robin tournament fought European style with rounds. There will also be three judges for the matches, Oliver John, Dave Dutra and MMA reporter Danny Acosta. The show also featuers JR Kratos (9-2) vs. Gabriel Gallo (4-0) for the Premier title and a woman's title tournament with Nicole Savoy (3-1), Kahmora (1-1), Raze (0-2) and Kikyo Nakamura (0-1). Vito Rea, a catch wrestling star, makes his debut with the promotion against Buddy Royal. Tickets are at www.premierwrestle.com.
- Maryland Championship Wrestling on 12/4 in Felton, DE features Mick Foley and The Headbangers at Delaware Auto Exchange. They will be doing a 6:30 p.m. meet and greet. The Headbangers will also wrestle on the show.
- In Your Face Wrestling on 3/12 in Albany, NY at the Polish Community Center featuring Bob Holly.
- There was a wrestling show on Friday night in Windsor, ONT before the stag party for Tyson Dux at Club Alouette. Results were: Space Monkey b Sebastian Suave, Muscles Marinara b Bret MacLeod, Phil Atlas & Brent B b Ray Steele & Jake Something, Brad Martin b John Greed, The Fraternity b Al & Bryan Castle, Cody Deaner b Joe Coleman, Tyxon Dux & Aiden Prince b John E. Bravo & Idris Abraham (thanks to Steven Ashe)
- L.A. Park, Pantera, El Hijo del Pantera and Lince Dorado headline for LuchaTO on 1/24 in Scarborough, ONT at 3107 Danford Avenue.
- I Believe in Wrestling from Saturday night in Orlando: Braydon Knight b Chico Adams, Rex Bacchus b Slad Porter, Alexx Light b Gabriel Black, Brandon Scherer b CT Brown, Mark Silva b Tyranus, Rhett Giddins & Lince Dorado & Josh Parker b Mike Reed & Josh Hess & Ace Andrews. Next show is 12/5 with Santana Garrett and Teddy Hart.
- Stardom today in Fukuoka, Japan: Alex Lee b Datura, Act Yasukawa b Hiromi Mimura, Kairi Hojo & Hiroyo Masumoto & Jungle Kyouna b Kyoko Kimura & Holidead & Kris Wolf, Mayu Iwatani b Kaori Yoneyama for the High Speed title, Santana Garrett b Io Shirai to win the Wonder of Stardom title. Garrett returns to the U.S. holding the Stardom title as well as the NWA title. (thanks to Al Haft)
- Rockstar Pro Wrestling has a free show Thanksgiving night at the Rockstar Arena in Dayton with a five on five elimination match.
- Here is a listing of independent wrestling charity shows in the upcoming weeks:
* Ultimate Championship Wrestling holds a benefit show on November 27 at the Prime Event Center in Bay City, MI. It was originally designed to benefit Cassidy Christie, the daughter of local wrestler Pete Christie. But Cassidy passed away on Veterans Day after a long battle from cancer. The show will go as UCW raises donations for her Church, St. Catherine of Sienna in Bay City, Michigan.
Many of the Michigan independent wrestlers from many promotions have agreed to donate their time for this special event. Former WWE stars Brian Christopher and Scotty Too Hotty team for the first time in Bay City. Also signed to appear is ECW legend Sabu.
* Come join the stars of NWA Vendetta Pro Wrestling on November 27 as they present Winter Wonderslam 2015 right back at the Radisson Hotel in Santa Maria, CA. Bring a new unwrapped toy, and receive a autographed collectible poster. Featured matches: Lil Cholo defends against So Cal Crazy for the Vendetta Pro Heavyweight Championship, The 3rd Annual Rowland Alexander Memorial Battle Royal, The Classic Connection (Levi Shapiro & “The Ace” Buddy Royal) defend their NWA Western States Tag Team Championship against The Von Dooms (Vintage Dragon & Cyanide)
* TRUE Wrestling Presents: 'Twas the Fight Before Christmas on Saturday November 28th, 2015 at the Salvation Army, 320 West Second Street, Berwick, PA. Doors open 6:00 pm (7:00 pm belltime). Scheduled to appear: Kras Van Tassel, Mark Maverick, Aaron Anthony, The Cash Masters, Tony Deppen, Aaron Arbo, and more. General Admission $10 advance/$12. Fans can save $5 off and receive a door price when you donate an unopened toy valued at $5 or more.
* New Jersey's Old Time Wrestling is holding an annual food drive for all shows in November and December, returning to Williamstown, NJ on Saturday, November 21. Anyone who brings a bag of non-perishable foods will receive a $5 coupon which can be applied to merchandise, food, or admission at all OTW events. In addition, Pat King (in association with The Chive) will be traveling across the country from Texas to Philadelphia in a quest to gather donations to fight hunger. On November 30, he will be putting on a special benefit show in the OTW Arena in Williamstown, NJ featuring some of your favorite OTW stars. We ask that all who attend the event please bring nonperishable donations or use this link to help give to a wonderful cause www.gofund.me/fighthunger1
* Power Pro Wrestling returns to The Milford Delaware Boys and Girls Club, in Milford, DE on November 28 for our Toys For Tots show. All of your favorite PPW Stars will be there. Featured matches will be: Sicend defending the PPW Championship vs. Brittany Blake, Diaz vs Vic Ramon, Riot City defending the PPW Tag Titles vs BLKOUT, WBDC, and Pretty Ugly, Sonny Deeds vs. Michaels Amaydo, and Solo Darling vs. Veda Scott
* 3XWrestling presents Holiday Havoc 6 on December 4th, and the 3XW annual Toys for Tots Drive at the El Merenderos Event Center, 900 E Army Post Road, Des Moines, IA
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 4 for "Spirit of the Season" at the Red Chevron in Guelph, ON. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 5 for "Spirit of the Season" at the Alpine Club in Kitchener, ON. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* Charity Wrestling Show comes to Kingston Gospel Temple, Kingston, ON, Canada on December 5 with a 7:00 pm belltime. All proceeds will go to Hands of Hope, a charity that provides groceries over the holiday season to families in need, Christmas presents for kids and more. There will be a meet-and-greet with legendary WWE referee Jimmy Korderas, legendary Canadian trainer Ron Hutchison and possibly another special guest.
* Hoosier Pro Wrestling continues giving back as they return to Columbus, IN on December 5 with Former NWA World Champion Tommy "Wildfire" Rich in action; Crazy Mary Dobson vs. Amazing Maria, Mad Man Pondo vs Cooter, the debut of Vic The Bruiser, a Heavyweight Title defense by TJ Kemp, a tag title defense by Big Country Clint Poe and Cowboy Marc Houston. Please bring a new or gently used toy.
* WAR Wrestling returns to Lima, OH on December 5 for United or Divided in a fundraiser for the Veterans Food Pantry. Front row sold out, second row $15, General admission is free will offering with 100% of the donation going to the Veterans Food Pantry.
* The originator of Toys for Toys events in the Philadelphia/South Jersey region, United Wrestling Coalition, will be doing the same on December 5 at Kelly's Bar/Banquet Hall, 14 Railroad Avenue, Wrightstown, NJ
* 2300 (ECW) Arena presents a Toys for Tots collection at the CHIKARA Pro Wrestling season finale at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 5 with a 7:30 pm belltime. Hallowicked defends his CHIKARA Grand Championship against Eddie Kingston and Icarus.
* ECWA Pro Wrestling will hold its annual Toys for Tots show on December 5 at the Woodbury Heights Community Center, Woodbury, NJ
* Right Coast Pro returns to Newark, DE, at the Life Community Church, Otts Chapel Road, on December 5 show and will hold a food collection for the "Feed the Need Ministry" in Newark, DE at their monthly show.
* Atomic Championship Wrestling returns to Stevens Fire Hall (91 Stevens Road, Stevens, PA) on December 5 with a Toys for Tots collection and canned food collection.
* Crossfire Wrestling presents Jingle Bell Brawl IV on December 5 at The Merritton Community Centre 7 Park Avenue, St. Catharines, ON, benefiting The Niagara Children's Centre Foundation with Former TNA Superstar Cody Deaner vs Former TNA World Heavyweight Champion "Showtime" Eric Young! General Admission tickets are available. Call the hotline at 905-329-2693 or go to http:// www.crossfirewrestling.com
* Pure Wrestling Association returns to Guelph, ON on December 6 for "Spirit of the Season" at Hafa Hall in Dundas, ON. Please bring a canned food item, and PWA will give you two colour posters.
* Xtreme Intense Championship Wrestling returns to Warren, MI on December 6 for Hardcore With A Heart at The Ritz. Admission is five cans of food. The Main Event puts the 2015 Malcolm Monroe Sr Memorial Cup winner Jake Something and the Xtreme Intense Champion Orlando Christopher together to face off against The "Mad Dragon" Hakim Zane w/ Truth Martini in his corner and JOE COLEMAN w/ MARK GJOKA in his corner. ZACH GOWEN will defend his Lightweight title against the newest number one contender, who is not wasting any time to take advantage of his title shot, IDRIS ABRAHAM.
* Grumpy's Bail Bonds Operation Christmas sponsors show in Portland, TN at the Richland Park Gym on December 11 with Ricky Morton, Bill Dundee, and TNA's Crimson.
* Brew City Wrestling will run its annual Headlock for Hunger on December 11 at the Knight of Columbus Hall in West Allis, WI. The show features a food drive for the Hunger Task Force of Greater Milwaukee. Fans are asked to bring two non-perishable food items.
* Chaotic Wrestling will do its second Toys for Tots show of the year on December 11th at the Woburn, MA at the Elks Lodge, 295 Washington St, Woburn, MA.
* Join Game Changer Wrestling in Howell, NJ on December 12. On that night we will be giving back! Not only via our Toys for Tots fundraiser, but to a pioneer of our industry, as we honor "Reckless Youth" Tom Carter for his contributions to the sport of Pro Wrestling. Not only that, but #WWE Hall of Famer George "The Animal" Steele and the lovely Terri Runnels will be in the house. For this special celebration to kick off the holiday season with Santa and his elves, get your tickets, NOW by calling the GCW Ticket line at 201-257- 8621.
* Chaotic Wrestling is joining forces once again with The United States Marine Corps Reserve Toys For Tots Program on December 12. In Lowell, MA, we will be collecting NEW, UNWRAPPED TOYS to help provide a happier holiday for families in need.
* All Star Wrestling presents Bodyslams For Toys on December 12 at the Cloverdale Fairgrounds, 6050 176 St, Surrey, BC, Canada. Bring a new unwrapped toy for a boy or girls with at least a $10 value and get in FREE.
* Combat Zone Wrestling presents its annual Toys for Tots collection (in conjunction with the Marine Corps Reserve) to take place for the eleventh year in a row with Combat Zone Wrestling's 17th annual Cage of Death on December 12 at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ. Cage of Death is part of an all day CZW event, including a Combat Zone Wrestling afternoon student show.
* GALLI Lucha Libre presents its annual GALLI Toy Drive Navidad event in Villa Park, IL on December 13,
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor's Final Battle PPV on December 18 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 18 with an 8:30 pm belltime.
* 2300 (ECW) Arena and Ring of Honor present a Toys for Tots collection at Ring of Honor's TV taping on December 19 at the 2300 (ECW) Arena on December 18 with an 6:00 pm belltime.
* SCW Entertainment returns to the Coronaca Fire Department in Coronaca, PA for the 5th annual Toys for Tots event on December 19. Featured matches: Anderson Strong (c) vs. Dean Richards in a SCW Heavyweight Championship/30 Minute Iron Man Match, TJ Boss vs. Ben Wright in a Cage Match/Loser Leaves SCW/Winner is # 1 Contender to the SCW Heavyweight Title, and Kat Daddy (c) vs. Karl Hager for the SCW Internet Championship
* Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling will hold Wrestling With Hunger in at the Elks Hall #49 ,2272 Leigh Square, Port Coquitlam, BC on December 19 (8:00 pm belltime/ 7:30 doors open) to support Share Family Services Food Bank. All seats ONLY $16
* Wrestling for a Cause will run The Fight for Haylie on December 12 in Pryor, OK (7:00 pm belltime) . 100% of the show's proceeds go to the family of a child with cancer.
* Keystone Championship Wrestling will hold its yearly Toys for Tots show, tentatively scheduled for December 19.
* Premiere Wrestling Xperience is offering an opportunity for spectators to bring a new unwrapped toy to the Hickory National Guard Armory, 1251 8th St NE in Hickory, NC on December 19. Spectators who bring a new unwrapped toy (with a suggested minimum value of just $10) can attend their event for only $10 and any child, aged 12 and under, who also brings an unwrapped toy will be FREE in rows 3-8.
* Great Canadian Wrestling presents Season's Beatings '15 on December 27 at Harmony Creek Community Hall, 15 Harmony Rd. N, Oshawa Ontario. This is the annual Christmas show for local food bank. Fans are asked to bring donations for Harmony Creek food bank. No matches yet announced.
Between all of these over the years, thousands of children have been able to have a Christmas or Hanukkah. Please help your local independent promotion do the same, or encourage them to schedule an event soon for the Holidays if they haven't already. If you're a promoter, PLEASE email me and let me know of your holiday charity themed plans (fund- raisers/collections for clothes, food pantries, Toys for Toys, etc.) at wrestling or MMA events to email@example.com.
ON THIS DAY IN PRO WRESTLING HISTORY INTERNATIONAL (thanks to Graeme Cameron)
1986 - Kuniaki Kobayashi beat Hiro Saito to win the All Japan world jr. title
1990 - Blue Demon Jr. beat Super Astro in Vallahermosa to win the WWA middleweight title
1997 - Momoe Nakanishi & Nanae Takahashi beat Megumi Yabushita & Sunmie Sakai in Kawasaki to wint he Japanese womens' tag team tilte
2000 - Tomoaki Honma beat Zandig to win the Big Japan death match title in Yokohama
2003 - Don Fujii beat Susumu Yokosuka (Jimmy Susumu) to win the Open the Dream Gate title
2005 - Christopher Daniels won a three-way over Sonjay Dutt and Alex Shelley in Tokyo to win the Zero-One Max title
2010 - Naruki Doi & Gamma beat Susumu Yokosuka & K-Ness in Osaka to win the Open the Twin Gate titles
2012 - Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito & Naoki Tanizaki beat Naruki Doi & Masato Yoshino & Shachihoko Boy in Saga to win the Open the Triangle Gate titles