- Man arrested for attempted armed abduction at Sonya Deville's home
- MLW Underground results & video: A Court Bauer favorite
- Jay White set for action on next week's NJPW Strong
- NBA playoffs force several AEW Dynamite/TNT schedule changes
- UFC 252 live results: Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier 3
- DragonKing Dark: 2011's 'The Devil We Know' 8/16
- WOR: Cormier vs. Stipe, Carano vs. Cyborg history, Smackdown, ratings, more! 8/16
A look at the life of James "Kamala" Harris, one of pro wrestling's biggest stars of the 80s, and Daniel Cormier, one of the biggest MMA stars of all-time, are the lead stories in the current issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.
The Kamala story goes through how he got the Kamala gimmick, who came up with the idea, the story around the video that instantly made him a star, how Kamala worked in that time but wouldn't now, how he was as a draw against Hulk Hogan, his late life health issues, his original meeting with Bobo Brazil, how he started watching wrestling, his pre-Kamala career, going to Europe, how J.J. Dillon was a key in getting him over and a look weekly at the first Memphis run that made him a big star.
His rivalry with Andre the Giant and how it was ugly early on, the feud with Bruiser Brody and every WWF run. We look at his career peak in 1986-87 and the gates and payoffs he got, his working Mexico, his last big WWF run, and the declines of his health.
Daniel Cormier's quest for the storybook ending, others who tried to have that ending, the greatest heavyweight of all-time, his tragic upbringing, growing up as a wrestler, competing with Cael Sanderson, his Olympic dream crushed, his MMA beginnings, his word title wins, and more building the fight with Stipe Miocic.
Also in this issue:
Return of ROH to action, what the new TV will be about, the creative involved, testing and more.
How Kevin Reilly is one of the key people who fell into place and without him there would be no AEW. We look at the changes in TNT management including a unique note about Reilly's successor.
A scary scene at NXT tapings, Dwayne Johnson's earnings for the year, New contracts signed in WWE, Sports ratings, U.K. ratings and Canadian ratings, Lawler 50th anniversary sow, WWE market value, and most-watched shows on WWE Network.
WWE moving TV into the Amway Center, Takeover and SummerSlam news updates and creative.
COVID updates from Japan, with many shows canceled this past week, why they were, and what this says about Japan in comparison with the U.S.
New Japan's Jingu Stadium show for the end of the month.
WWE Network featuring independents.
Saturday's UFC show with a complete rundown and match-by-match coverage.
Kenny Omega and Michael Nakazawa doing a lecture for students at Tokai University on sports entertainment during the COVID era, with notes on AEW profitability, ad spending, how COVID has changed the world, how the AEW audience has changed, A.J. Styles, personal goals and New Japan Pro Wrestling.
New Japan, All Japan and NOAH have their biggest tournaments of the year at the same time.
CMLL's planned return.
Ratings of all the major shows, the key demos and quarters for AEW and WWE, what happened head-to-head and what can be learned from them.
Results of all the major pro wrestling events around the world over the past week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to firstname.lastname@example.org or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to email@example.com.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
SUNDAY NEWS UPDATE
We have two weekend shows up. Last night's show has Bryan and I talking UFC 252, Smackdown, Wednesday & Friday ratings, and other topics. We also had an afternoon discussion with Lance Storm regarding a number of different subjects.
Regarding Daria Berenato (Sonya Deville), she is said to be doing okay all things considered.
Ariel Helwani of ESPN reported that Daniel Cormier suffered a torn cornea in round three from an eye poke. Cormier fought the last two rounds of the fight without any vision in his left eye, and even won round four under those circumstances. Realistically the fight should have been stopped and medical checks and balances should be a lot better than fans at home and announcers making it clear he can't see and the fight still not ending. Cormier won't immediately need surgery but the situation is being monitored.
As far as the judging went, 88% of media scores went to Miocic and 12% for Cormier. Most were 48-47, however the actual judges had 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47. Derek Clearly had Cormier only winning round one. Sal D'Amato had Cormier only winning round four. Junichiro Kamijo had Cormier winning rounds one and four.
UFC 252 had about 2.35 million searches, which is the level of a pretty major show, but not a 1 million buy show. UFC 252 was the second most searched term on the Internet yesterday at 2 million, trailing only Robert Trump's death. This number would cover searches for Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic. Other top searches were Sean O'Malley at No. 5 with 200,000, Jared Rozenstruik at No. 7 with 100,000 and Merab Dvalishvili at No. 18 with 50,000. During the past week, there were no other boxing, wrestling or MMA searches. My gut says that Kamala searches on Sunday that were near the top were at least some for Kamala, as opposed to Kamala Harris, that they were credited to.
Jon Jones last night was tweeting about how he wanted Stipe Miocic. Really Francis Ngannou deserves the next shot at Miocic, but if Jones beats Dominick Reyes in a rematch, he should be able to then face the champion should he want that fight. Jones is clearly goading for another Daniel Cormier fight, saying that you can't go out with a loss in a show with no fans.
Based on what we're told, the 8/22 Dynamite show will be airing at 6 p.m. on TSN 3 and midnight on TSN 1 that night.
- Independent content from Evolve, wXw and Progress debuted yesterday on the WWE Network.
- The Miz on Instagram noted that he and his wife have a new television series in development which would be a joint venture of Mad Rose Productions, their company and WWE Studios.
- The Miz's TV show Cannonball airs tonight on NBC at 6 p.m. Eastern. They will also air another episode next Sunday.
- A WWE Timeline special on the Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart feud is on the WWE Network.
- WWE Network News reported that the WWE Network will be adding Superstars shows from 3/20/93 to 5/22/93 tomorrow.
- Sportsbetting.ag has released these prospective odds: Stipe Miocic +180 vs. Francis Ngannou -210 Stipe Miocic +130 vs. Jon Jones -150 Jon Jones +125 vs. Francis Ngannou -145
- BetOnline.ag: Stipe Miocic +190 vs. Francis Ngannou -225 Stipe Miocic +155 vs. Jon Jones -180 Jon Jones +105 vs. Francis Ngannou -125
- CWE from Friday night in St. Albert, Alberta: Gabriel Lestat b Travis Cole, Alix Zwicker b Kylie Morgan, Shaun Martens b Lumberjack Larry-DQ to keep the HIW Grand Championship, Bobby Sharp b Kevy Chevy, Chris Perish b Danny Duggan, Marky & Jude Hawkins b AJ Sanchez & Kevin O'Doyle. Next show in St Albert is 10/24.
- The Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling Facebook has an interview with Gerald Brisco talking about The Funks, Hulk Hogan and St. Louis Wrestling.
- Championship Wrestling from Hollywood will be taping at the Oceanview Pavilion with safety measures in place including mandatory COVID-19 testing for talent and staff. Fans are not allowed in. Multiple episodes are being filmed for distribution starting in September. They will be doing similar procedures as New Japan did for its U.S. tapings.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Verne Gagne awarded first AWA World title
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today