The Latest News
- NJPW World Tag League live results: Cobb & Elgin vs. EVIL & SANADA
- NXT post-TakeOver conference call audio with Paul 'HHH' Levesque
- NXT TV taping spoilers: Three matches taped before TakeOver
- NXT TakeOver WarGames II live results: WarGames, two title matches
The Latest Audio
- WOR: NXT Wargames, UFC, Dave goes to NXT in San Jose, more! 11/18
- Pacific Rim Podcast: WWE Hall of Famer Madusa/Alundra Blayze 11/17
We're doing polls on both last night's NXT Takeover and today's Survivor Series. You can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match for each show to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WWE SURVIVOR SERIES FROM THE STAPLES CENTER IN LOS ANGELES WITH PRESHOW STARTING AT 5 P.M. EASTERN ON WWE NETWORK
Ronda Rousey vs. Charlotte Flair -- These two have been in Southern California intently working on their match. It's huge for both because it's Rousey's biggest match that was thrown at her at the last minute as opposed to with a lot of preparation. We don't know at this point which match goes on last but this seems to have the most interest. For Flair, she's kind of fallen in the shadow of Becky Lynch, but is also coming off the best match of her career a few weeks ago. Rousey is a whopping -530 favorite. Keep in mind that based on odds here the "smart money" isn't in, and really that hasn't been the case in months so these are not predictions, just guides and are often wrong. Anything can happen but this doesn't feel like the right night to end the Rousey streak unless Lynch interferes to cause it.
Brock Lesnar vs Daniel Bryan -- This is entirely up to Lesnar. If Lesnar is up to working a great match, a great match it will be since Bryan has thought about this match for more than three years since it was originally the 2015 SummerSlam main event idea. Bryan had indicated it was a match he was very much looking forward to. It's kind of weird since Bryan just turned heel and in this match on paper, it would figure he'd be better off as a face. A lot about this match is interesting including crowd reactions. Lesnar is a -300 favorite.
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Seth Rollins - This is a first-time meeting and is something Rollins has greatly looked forward to. Nakamura is a -400 favorite, so I guess the belief is that Ambrose will cost Rollins the match, which does make sense. Nakamura hasn't had a truly killer match on the main roster but there is potential here to be a show stealer.
AOP vs. Sheamus & Cesaro -- AOP is a -250 favorite. This will be a big test because AOP usually does squash matches, and in a sense this is heel vs. heel and they can't walk over The Bar. It's a real test to see how AOP stands as well as how the crowd takes to these two teams.
Braun Strowman & Bobby Lashley & Dolph Ziggler & Drew McIntyre & Finn Balor vs. The Miz & Jeff Hardy & Rey Mysterio & Samoa Joe & Shane McMahon in elimination match -- There are a lot of interesting confrontations here with Mysterio in the ring with a lot of new people, Joe in with Strowman, McIntyre and Lashley, Mysterio vs. Balor, Strowman vs. Joe and more. These type of matches are usually good. The Raw team is a -385 favorite, likely beacuse Strowman is being groomed for Lesnar and McIntyre is being protected.
Ruby Riott & Nia Jax & Tamina & Mickie James & Natalya vs. Asuka & Naomi & Carmella & Sonya Deville & ? in elimination match -- Still no word on the fifth member of the Smackdown team. Smackdown is a slight favorite at -160. If the belief is Raw is winning the two big matches on the show, the tag title and men's elimination, then Smackdown probably has to win the close ones. Jax is really the only one to be protected in this match, since she's facing Rousey next. But they could DQ her out if need be.
Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali for cruiserweight title -- From a technical standpoint, this should be one of the best matches on the show. Like always, it depends on what kind of crowd is there. If it's last night's crowd, these two will probably kill it. If it's a different crowd and more mainstream oriented, it may be tough for them as far as crowd response goes. But I can't imagine it not being good and perhaps great. Murphy is now a -400 favorite.
Bobby Roode & Chad Gable & The Ascension & B Team & Revival & Lucha House Party vs. Usos & New Day & Colons & Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows & Sanity tag team elimination match -- This is the preshow match. For the same reason of balancing out, Smackdown is a strong -420 favorite here. Also, the two strongest teams of the ten as far as being pushed are the Usos and New Day, and they are both on the Smackdown side. This is on the preshow, and preshow matches are historically rushed. I'd think with 20 men and a minimum of five falls and as many as nine, that this should be the longest preshow match of the year.
Raw will be Monday night from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
NEW JAPAN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT TUESDAY IN TAKAOKA ON NEW JAPAN WORLD ON SAME DAY TAPE DELAY
- Togi Makabe & Toa Henare vs. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi
- Michael Elgin & Jeff Cobb vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.
- Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Minoru Suzuki & Takashi Iizuka
- Juice Robinson & David Finlay vs. Togi Makabe & Toa Henare
Smackdown, 205 Live and Mixed Match Challenge will be taped on Tuesday night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles
NEW JAPAN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT ON WEDNESDAY IN SHIBATA ON NEW JAPAN WORLD SAME DAY TAPE DELAY
- Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Ayato Yoshida & Shota Umino
- Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi vs. Baretta & Chuckie T
- Evil & Sanada vs. Hangman Page & Yujiro Takahashi
F4W NEWSLETTER: Figure Four Weekly: Looking at the WWE-EVOLVE relationship
The evolution of WWE's relationships with promotions they're friendly with continued to take shape this past weekend. Five WWE-contracted wrestlers were in action for EVOLVE last Friday and Saturday: The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford), Fabian Aichner, Kassius Ohno, and Mustafa Ali. Killian Dain made a surprise appearance for ICW in Glasgow, Scotland on Sunday, defeating Mikey Whiplash after it had been advertised that Whiplash would be facing a wrestler from WWE.
One week ago, the Survivor Series was to be headlined by Brock Lesnar vs. A.J. Styles and Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch in battles of the Raw and Smackdown brand champions.
But just days before the show, two unrelated incidents saw both main events that were heavily-looked forward to change.
And in doing so, one of the key matches at WrestleMania, possibly the main event, was also established.
Right now the plan is for Ronda Rousey vs. Becky Lynch to headline WrestleMania. After the injury to Lynch on 11/12, a fractured nose and a concussion from a punch by Nia Jax during an in-ring Raw vs. Smackdown women’s brawl, she was out of the match that, due to the promos on both sides, was the most looked-forward to match on the show.
The next day, both Vince McMahon and Rousey decided that the best course of action was to do the match at WrestleMania. Rousey and Lynch immediately went at it hard on social media, even though Rousey’s new opponent on the PPV is Charlotte Flair.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
SUNDAY NEWS UPDATE
Bryan and I will be back both tonight and tomorrow night with Wrestling Observer Radio. We're talking Survivor Series as well as the latest news tonight. You can send e-mail questions for the show to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can vote on star ratings for tonight's show through the Kambi web site. The over-under betting has these numbers:
- Rousey vs. Flair ****
- Lesnar vs. Bryan ****1/4
- Rollins vs. Nakamura ****
- Men's 5 on 5 match ***3/4
- Women's 5 on 5 match **1/2
- AOP vs. The Bar ***1/2
- Buddy Murphy vs. Mustafa Ali ***3/4
- Tag team 5 on 5 ***
- Based on these predictions, it looks like it will be a good show.
Other star ratings odds you can bet on. These are the odds for best match:
- Lesnar vs. Bryan +175
- Rousey vs. Flair +175
- Rollins vs. Nakamura +200
- Cruiserweight title +275
- Men's tag +300
- Any other match +1000
- You can also get -105 odds to bet on whether Lesnar vs. Bryan or Rousey vs. Flair will be the better match.
As far as mainstream stuff, neither Takeover nor UFC cracked 20,000 searches which is a very low number, so from a mainstream interest level neither show was there. Takeovers never do. Today's show should do in the 500,000 to 1 million range. This week two pro wrestling topics cracked the last as Becky Lynch had 100,000 searches on Tuesday and David Arquette had 50,000 yesterday for his match with Nick Gage.
Undertaker, who was in Los Angeles for an autograph session yesterday, flew home already according to PW Insider.
I want to make a mention of a Go Fund Me, as we've mentioned this before, for former pro wrestler Jerry Grey. Grey is battling stage four colon cancer which has drained all of his savings. Grey wrestled and ran shows for decades in the Florida area primarily.
The Coy Wire CNN Travel series had an episode in Tokyo and there are clips in there preview of Wire talking with both Harold Meij and Kenny Omega, as well as some women New Japan fans.
- Mark Henry will be awarded the 2019 Iron Mike award, which is the lead award each year from the Cauliflower Alley Club at its 54th annual reunion. The reunion takes place from 4/29 to 5/1 at the Gold Coast Casino in Las Vegas.
- Sabu had very negative comments about Jim Ross after his fall yesterday. When asked to explain, he said it was over a 1988 Great American Bash show at Cobo in Detroit where he said that they gave Sheik $10,000 and his family was owed $90,000 more. Ross wasn't running the company and a $100,000 payoff for a house show didn't exist in that era. It doesn't really even exist in this era. $10,000 was unheard off for one show in 1988 unless it was a PPV show or perhaps a giant house show. I think Kevin Sullivan was the one who felt Sheik would help them draw big in Cobo and he did get a big reaction. It was a short main event with Dusty Rhodes & Sheik over Sullivan & Dick Murdoch in a cage match and Sheik used his camel clutch on Sullivan.
- Toni Storm won the wXw women's title yesterday from Melanie Gray. (thanks to Shannon Walsh)
- Melbourne Championship Wrestling from last night in Melbourne: The Brat Pack b Tome & Stevie Filip (Tome turned on his brother) in a tag title match, Avary b Aria, Dowie James b Lochy Hendricks 4-3 in a 30:00 Iron Man match, Slex b Adam Brooks to win the Intercommonwealth title, Men for Hire b Helter Skelter, Gino Gambino b Jonah Rock to keep the NCW title. (thanks to Kevin Chiat)
- Pro Wrestling League from last night in Gold Coast, Queensland: Robbie Eagles b Tim Kade, Caveman Ugg b Jade Diamond, Adonis won over Jaxon Cross, JL Gold, Rufio, Spaceman Dacey and Jesse Daniels, Mick Moretti b Xander Sullivan, Jake Nova b Rip Reilly, Street Revolution b Babes & SMS, Mick Moretti over Robbie Eagles, Caveman Ugg and Jake Nova in a ladder match to become the first Australian Pro Wrestling League champion. (thanks to Kevin Chiat)
- St. Louis Anarchy Wrestling from Friday night in Alton, IL: Mighty Micah b Kenny Alfonso, Hoodie & Anaya b Nick Iggy & Kerry Awful, Larry D b Jake Garvin, Matt Kenway & Adam Caster b Buddy Shephard & Everett Connors, Jake Parnell b Chip Day, Gary Jay b Hallowicked, Anthony Gutierrez won over Logan James, Sage Phillips, Mikey McFinnegan, Steve Manders and Paco Gonzalez, ACH & Mat Fitchett & Davey Vega b Kody Lane & Zac Taylor & Ethan Price, Jake Dirden & Thomas Shire b Logan & Sterling Riegel, Jeremy Wyatt b Jonathan Gresham to keep the Gateway title. (thanks to Patrick Brandmeyer)
- Eve announced that its 2019 Wrestle Queendom show, its big event of the year, takes place on 6/30 at York Hall in London. Last year's show set a promotion record with 900 fans and they are hoping to break that record this coming year.
- Chase Owens vs. Sigmon headline for Innovate Wrestling on 12/1 in Morristown, TN at the Tally Ward Rec Center, a regular spot for a number of regional promotions over the years.
- PCW Ultra on 12/7 has announced Penta 0M vs. Shane Strickland, Tessa Blanchard vs. Delilah Doom, ACH vs. Jake Atlas, Taya Valkyie vs. Heather Monroe and they also announced a 1/18 show.
- Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling from last night in East Carondelet, IL: Moondog Rover b Purple Passion, Jake Prater b Keith Smith, Gary Jackson & Billy McNeil b Curtis Wylde & Waco, PT Beckham b Kowalski-DQ, Gil Rogers b Bobby D, Ricky Cruz b Big Texan, Flash Flanagan & Ken Kasa b Superstar Steve Fender & Christopher Hargas-DQ. (thanks to Patrick Brandmeyer)
- Reality of Wrestling Ladies Night out from last night in Texas City, TX: Alex Gracia b Myka Madrid, Keira Hogan b Aerial Monroe, Ivory Robyn b Angel Blue, Taya Valkyrie b Jazz (subbing for injured Jordynne Grace), Hyan b Su Yung in a no DQ match (crazy wild match people were raving about), AQA b Kylie Rae, Ivelisse b Thunder Rosa. They announced the next all women's show like this for 2/23. (thanks to Shannon Walsh)
- Australian wrestler Lena Kross was injured in an 11/9 match with Saraya Knight. She is expected back early next year. She had to pull out of an 11/25 match against Brandi Rhodes for World Series Wrestling. Savannah Summers will replace her. That promotion had both Cody and Joey Ryan booked and both won't be able to wrestle on the shows so they are looking at getting another international star in, but said it wouldn't be announced until the first day of the tour.
- Truth Martini will be back on a number of Michigan indie shows including 12/7 in Royal Oak, MI where he will be getting an Ambassador Award presentation by Eddie Venom.
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Team WWF vs. The Alliance
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today!