The Latest from the F4W Staff
- NJPW G1 Climax 27 night 15 results: Tanahashi vs. Ishii
- WWE Montreal live results: Owens makes the save for Zayn and Pat Patterson
- UFC Fight Night 114 live results: Sergio Pettis vs. Brandon Moreno
- WWE Saint John live results: Reigns vs. Joe vs. Strowman
- JNPO Classic: Bjorn Rebney and forecasting the big 2011 MMA TV moves 8/6
- WOR: G-1 update, Raw preview, CMLL and ROH notes, UFC recap, more! 8/6
- WOL: Mayweather vs. McGregor, camp drama, SummerSlam, NXT, more! 8/4
- Wrestling Weekly: Funk returning to the ring, Gotch vs. Race, Brody 8/4
We're looking for your thoughts on Saturday's NJPW show in Osaka, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to email@example.com.
We're looking for reports on today's WWE Raw show in London, Ontario and Smackdown in Ottawa, as well as the OTT show in Belfast to firstname.lastname@example.org.
WWE Raw is in London, Ontario and Smackdown is in Ottawa, ONT.
Monday has Raw in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre. Smackdown has a house show in Kingston, Ontario.
NEW JAPAN G-1 CLIMAX TOURNAMENT AT 5:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY MORNING FROM YOKOHAMA BUNKA GYM
- Tomoyuki Oka vs. Chase Owens
- Yuji Nagata & Katsuya Kitamura vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
- Togi Makabe & Kota Ibushi & Hirai Kawato vs. Hirooki Goto & Yoshi-Hashi & Gedo
- Tomohiro Ishii & Jado vs. Zack Sabre Jr. & Desperado
- Hiroshi Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi & David Finlay vs. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi & Hiromu Takahashi
- Satoshi Kojima vs. Tama Tonga
- Juice Robinson vs. Toru Yano
- Michael Elgin vs. Evil
- Kenny Omega vs. Seiya Sanada
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki
Tuesday has Smackdown tapings also in Toronto at the Air Canada Centre. Naomi vs. Carmella in a non-title match has been announced. For 205 Live, they've announced TJP vs. Rich Swann.
On the heels of Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor, another unlikely combat sports event seems to have become a genuine possibility. Jon Jones challenged Brock Lesnar to return to the Octagon after regaining the UFC light heavyweight title against Daniel Cormier last Saturday night. "Brock Lesnar," Jones said. "If you want to know what it feels like to get your ass kicked by a guy who weighs 40 pounds less than you, meet me in the Octagon."
WRESTLING OBSERVER NEWSLETTER: August 7, 2017 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: WWE second quarter earnings, UFC 214, more
A look at the WWE business notes for quarter two is among the top stories of the new issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Also look at the deja vu of Jon Jones, in-depth on G-1, Io Shirai, the negotiations for Broken Hardys and much more.
Look at what aspects of WWE business right now are the most valuable and how they compare to last year, the state of the company, the future of TV or streaming rights fees, Facebook and Netflix heads talk about content like WWE, the drop in U.K. ratings, the WWE network numbers and what it says, the recent WWE cost cutting measures, as well as the state of live show attendance and real WrestleMania number.
Go in depth as UFC tries to remake Jon Jones as a big star, the Daniel Cormier fight, the story behind it, the potential of a Brock Lesnar fight and where it stands and when it can happen, the similarities between this Jon Jones and the other one, a look at UFC 214, Tyron Woodley's complaints, Dana White buries him, the realities of being a pro athlete in a sport where fans decide the stars, Cris Cyborg gets a title, all the business notes as well as match-by-match coverage and how much everyone made in their fights.
An update on the G-1 Climax tournament with the MVP race, the standings, the schedule, business notes and coverage of all the tournament matches of the past week, is in this issue.
Also there is an update on the SummerSlam card, who was being groomed for a top spot at the end of the year, the ticket demand for SummerSlam and NXT Takeover, the Bayley injury, a match that won't be happening at SummerSlam, and much more regarding the show.
Look at Royal Rumble tickets, John Cena getting his biggest Hollywood break, update on Cena's pro wrestling appearances including his first PPV after SummerSlam, everything you want to know about the fight over the Broken Universe gimmick, Chris Jericho in TMZ, Jericho in WWE, and Jericho's music.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to Dave Meltzer, or by using PayPal directing funds to Dave@WrestlingObserver.com.
Rates in the United States are $13 for 4 issues, $32 for 12, $61 for 24, $101 for 40 and $131 for 52. In Canada and Mexico, rates are $14.50 for 4, $35 for 12, $67 for 24, $111 for 40 and $144 or 52. In Europe, you can get the fastest delivery and best rates by sending to email@example.com. For the rest of the world, rates are $16.50 for 4, $44 for 12, $85 for 24, $141 for 40 issues and $183 for 52. If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order (P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228), you can get $1 off in every price range.)
If you are a new subscriber ordering 24 or more issues, you can choose one free classic issue, or two free classic issues with a 40-issue subscription.
With the WWF television situation being straightened out, now all eyes are on the future of ECW, both as far as national television and the company's survival itself. ECW was officially canceled, as expected, by TNN effective with the show airing on 9/22. This date appears to preclude any chance of USA Network having ECW ready to go on the air the Monday after WWF leaves (which is believed to be the first week of September, although nobody has been able to confirm an official date), in an attempt to have a wrestling show ready to keep at least a small part of the huge audience that by habit tunes to USA in that time slot.
SUNDAY NEWS UPDATE
There are reports from Japan that Yoshihiro Takayama is paralyzed from the neck down three months after a career ending move, a botched sunset flip spot, that hospitalized him. We'll have more on this later, but he is able to talk but he has no movement at all. Takayama was a huge name in Japan, at one time perhaps the most popular wrestler in the country, known best for his Pride fight with Don Frye, that is considered one of the greatest fights of any kind in history, and was later reproduced for a movie with the two of them.
Our weekend show is up on the site right now covering the G-1, last night's UFC and the rest of the weekend news.
Neither Raw nor Smackdown at this point are close to being sold out for the Air Canada Centre in Toronto this week.
G-1 results from today in Hamamatsu:
- Yuji Nagata (1-7) b Zack Sabre Jr (4-4)
- Kota Ibushi (5-3) b Yoshi-Hashi (2-6)
- Bad Luck Fale (5-3) b Hirooki Goto (4-4)
- Tetsuya Naito (6-2) b Togi Makabe (3-5)
- Hiroshi Tanahashi (6-2) b Tomohiro Ishii (4-4)
So everyone has been eliminated from contention except Tanahashi and Naito, who wrestle for the A block championship on Friday night at Sumo Hall.
Hall of Famer Atsushi Onita did his first U.S. match in decades, as well as likely his last U.S. match, for CZW in a show billed as "One in a Lifetime featuring Atsushi Onita" at Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, NJ before 1,000 fans: Ace Romero won over Ken Broadway, Smiley, Mike Greca, Brandon Watts, Jason Gory, Anthony Bennett, Kit Osbourne, Pandita and Jimmy Loyd, Maxwell Jacob Feinstein b John Silver, Dan O'Hare & Shlak b Stockade & G-Raver, Tim Donst b Ace Austin, Shane Strickland b Masada to retain title, Lio Rush b Joey Janela (in this match Janela power bombed Rush off a ladder through a table, and Rush got up not selling it), Atsushi Onita vs. Matt Tremont started as a singles match but turned into a trios match with Onita & Raijin Yaguchi & Hideki Hosaka of Team FMW beat Team CZW of Tremont & Danny Havoc & Rickey Sahen Page when Havoc was hit with an exploding baseball bat and suplexed into a barbed wire board. Tremont had been hospitalized for 11 days, getting out on Wednesday and if it wasn't a match with Onita, would have probably missed the show. Onita then challenged Tremont to do a singles match in Japan. Next show is the Chris Cash Memorial show on 9/9, a doubleheader with WSU. (thanks to Bob Magee)
- The NXT house show in Los Angeles next week is almost sold out. All the reserved seats are sold. General Admission should be sold out shortly.
- Fathom Events will be playing a documentary on the life of Ted DiBiase at theaters around the country.
- A story, in Italian, on Bruno Sammartino in Italy right now. Four more Sammartino articles are here, here, here, and here. (thanks to Chris Cruise)
- An interview with Nia Jax.
- Last night at the WrestleCircus show where Cody Rhodes returned to Austin, TX (where his father grew up), he pinned Scorpio Sky with the crossroads on a pile of thumbtacks. Sky slammed Rhodes in the thumbtacks before the finish. Rhodes said that he wants to return to Austin and bring other Bullet Club members with him. He then auctioned off his boots, which got $1,000, that he donated to the "Austin Pets Alive" animal shelter. He also said that anyone leaving him tips on Twitch will have the money donated to the charity. Also on the show, Adam Cole & girlfriend Britt Baker won the company's tag team titles over Rocky Romero & Trent Baretta when Baker pinned Baretta. Baker took a piledriver from Baretta and jumping double knees as well. Romero thanked the fans and said he didn't know when they would see them again. (thanks to Jake Koch)
- Mick Foley did an angle with Joey Ryan at yesterday's OTT show in Dublin, using the socko claw in the groin and then taking the flip. Results of the show were: Jordan Devlin b Matt Cross, Jay & Patrick Salmon b Johnny Storm & Jody Fleisch, Zack Gibson & Charlie Sterling b The Lads from the Flats, Jimmy Havoc b Paul Tracey, Ricochet b Matt Sydal, Bonesaw & Damien Corvin & Dunkan Disorderly b Chris Brookes & Kid Lykos & Travis Banks, Joey Ryan & Angel Cruz b Candice LeRae & B Cool, Pete Dunne & Trent Seven & Tyler Bate b War Machine & Jeff Cobb in 25:00, Session Moth Martina b Katie Harvey, Mark Haskins won three-way elimination match to keep the NLW title over Marty Scurll and Ryan Smile. Said to be a great main event. Foley, Bate and Scurll got the biggest reaction and the reaction to Cody appearing on the next show was described as "Earth shattering" (thanks to Lauren McKell and Conor Keary)
- OTT announced "Being the Elite" in Dublin at the National Stadium on 12/9 with The Young Bucks, Marty Scurll and Cody appearing along with Will Ospreay.
- Revolution Pro results from today in London at the Cockpit: TK Cooper b Eddie Dennis, Casa Noir b RJ Singh, Lord Gideon Gray b Kurtis Chapman, Mark Davis b Kyle Fletcher, Ryan Smile & Luke Phoenix & Sha Samuels b Josh Bodom & Zack Gibson & Rob Lias, Jinny b Dahlia Black, Jay White b Phantasmo, Chris Brookes & Travis Banks b War Machine. (thanks to Jan Buxton)
- AAW from last night in LaSalle, IL before 335 fans: Alex Daniels & Davey Vega b Ace Perry & Paco, Jessicka Havok b Leah Vaughn, Ivelisse b Samantha Heights, Brubacker b CJ Esparza, Bucky Collins b Mike Hartenbower, Myron Reed won six-way over Brett Gakiya, Jake Something, Juntai Miller, Arik Cannon and Kody Rice, Keith Lee b Bob Holly due to interference from Sami Callihan, Chuck Taylor b Andrew Everett, Zachary Wentz & Dezmond Xavier b Stephen Wolf & Trey Miguel, Matt Fitchett b ACH, Juventud Guerrera & Rey Fenix & AR Fox b Sami Callihan & Jake Crist & Jason Cade. Callihan pulled off Fenix's mask to set up Callihan's title vs Fenix's mask on 8/31 in Berwyn, IL.
- Super Crazy, Braxton Sutter and Colin Delaney appear for Empire State Wrestling on 8/26 in North Tonawanda, NY at the St. Johnsburg Fire Hall.
- Dynamo Pro Wrestling from Friday night in Grafton, IL: Snitch won six-way over Outtkast, Jackal, CJ Shine, Benjamin Trust and Frodo Meyer, Monica Passeri b Savanna Stone, Danny Adams b Justin D'Air, Jake Parnell b Thomas Munos, Vikor Von Stein & Xavier Shadows b Alexandre Rudolph & Mikey McFinnegan, Brandon Espinosa b Jaden Roller, Jon Webb b Karim Brigante, Adrian Surge b Brandon Aarons in a non-title match. (thanks to Patrick Brandmeyer)
- National Wrasslin League TV tapings in Kansas City from last night: Ken Dharma b Mike Outlaw, Ace Steel b Gil Rogers, Stevie Richards & Jet Royal b Buddy Shepherd & Devilin, Maverick b Christian Adonis, Niles Plonk & Belvedere & Red Cloud b Flex Aerbra & Ray Briggs & Roscoe Leach, Marti Belle b Carolina Grizelda Esmerelda Rodriguez, Jeremy Wyatt & Michael Strider b Anthony Gutierrez & Jack Foster, Dak Draper won three-way over Thor Theriot and Blaine Meeks to keep Kansas City title. Next show is 8/11 in St. Joseph, MO at the National Guard Armory and next TV taping is 8/18 in Overland Park, KS at the Abdallah Shrine Temple. (thanks to Joseph Myers)
- World League Wrestling from last night in Troy, MO: Karim Brigante b Orion Creed, Jayden Fenix b Brandon Espinosa, Warwick Stephans b Superstar Steve Fender-DQ, Kyle Roberts & Warwick Stephans b Superstar Steve Fender & Jayden Fenix, Heather Patera b Stacey O'Brien, Leland Race d Jon Webb. (thanks to Patrick Brandmeyer)
- Defy Wrestling from Thursday night in Tacoma, WA: Ave Rex & Sonico & Avispa b Big Jack & Carl Cunningham & Kate Carney, Jeff Cobb b Ethan HD, King Khash & Clark Connors b Drexl & Bat Boy, Desi Derata b Cat Power, Flip Gordon b Mike Santiago, Shane Strickland b Lio Rush to retain the Defy title. (thanks to Matt Farmer)
- CWE from last night in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan: Jonathan Gresham & Kaito Kiyomiya & Alex Anthony b Kute Kody & Ethan Price & Tasty Travis, Silas Young b The Mercenary, Tyler Colton b Big Chief, Jordynne Grace b Kelly Klein, Danny Duggan b Jacob Creed, Shane Sabre & Phil Atlas won three-way over K-Dos & Kaz Karter and Tony Kozina & Kenji Brea. CWE tonight in Saskatoon, SK at the Cosmo Civic Center.
- Great North Wrestling from last night in Ottawa before 750 fans: Crimson Shadow b Marc Andre Vezna, Maredes b Ceckil Nix, Spoiler d Jebediah Tatum, Aces and Eights b Freak Nation, Pierre Carl Ouellet b Maximum Testosterone, Sid Vicious b Paul Rosenberg, Hannibal b Wes Brisco to Alan Moussi (Kickboxer Vengeance) as referee, Lady Yasmine won four-way ladder match over Vanessa Kraven, Eve and Cici Galavis to become the first womens' champion.
- Preview of an interview with Simon Gotch.
- A clip of Jessie Godderz from "The Young and the Restless" TV show where he played a doorman. On the show, they used his gimmick nickname Mr. Pectacular as a joke.
- Wallace Matthews talked about the state of sports journalism in 2017, and shared his surprise that people are investing into Mayweather-McGregor. (thanks to Denis Gorman)
F4W Online / Wrestling Observer Vegas Convention Event Info
August 17-21; All times are TBA; Full information on the group Facebook page; Activities subject to change
For ticketing information go to https://f4wvegas.brownpapertickets.com/
- Thursday: Meet at the High Roller for Bowling at the Link; Party at Carnival Court at Hurrah's
- Friday: Kiss Mini Golf tournament at the Rio; Dinner at Texas de Brazil; Suite party (location TBA)
- Saturday: Future Stars of Wrestling show featuring Disco Inferno, Stephan Bonnar, Phil Baron, Shotzi Blackheart, and co-main events: 3-way match with Leva Bates vs. Mia Yim vs. Hudson Envy, and "Filthy" Tom Lawlor vs. Thomas Santell (f.k.a. Antonio "The Promise" Thomas); NXT viewing party at the Sci-Fi Center
- Sunday: SUPER CHINA BUFFET DAY at the Wicked Spoon Buffet at 1pm; SummerSlam viewing party at the Sci-Fi Center
- Monday: Goodbye lunch at Chen Chen at NY NY
- All website members will also receive a 15% discount on any purchases from the Las Vegas Fight Shop for the entirety of the convention
Texas de Brazil, Wicked Spoon, NXT and Summer Slam will all be sign up and pre-paid events, prices and collection begin in mid July~!
- Poll opinions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback: email@example.com
- Show results and news tips: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: email@example.com