- ROH Death Before Dishonor live results: FTR vs. The Briscoes II
- Giovanni Vinci vs. Bodhi Hayward announced for NXT
- UFC on ESPN+ 66 live results: Curtis Blaydes vs. Tom Aspinall
- Clark Connors unable to compete at NJPW Music City Mayhem due to injury
- AEW returning to Philadelphia in September
- Report: Max Dupri done with WWE's Maximum Male Models faction
- NJPW G1 Climax 32 night four results: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jay White
- WWE SmackDown video highlights: Stephanie McMahon, Brock Lesnar appear
- Wrestling Observer Live: Did Vince screw Vince?
- Wrestling Observer Radio: Everything you ever wanted to know about Vince McMahon's retirement
- Speak Now: Vince McMahon retires, SmackDown and Rampage recaps
Latest Free YouTube Video:
Job Listing: Onlamp php/mysql developer. Experience with vbulletin and drupal/WordPress a plus. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject PHP DEVELOPER with resume.
This Week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter:
- This Week's Retro Observer Newsletter:
Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
Saturday News Update
- A story on Vince McMahon’s retirement was featured on the front page of today’s Wall Street Journal.
- Post Wrestling compiled a list of some of the mainstream news outlets that have covered McMahon’s retirement.
- On Twitter, Ric Flair commented on McMahon’s retirement:" @VinceMcMahon, You’ve Made My Life Better Every Day Since I’ve Been In The Wrestling Business. You’re The Only Promoter In My Career That Treated Me Like A Man, Respected Who I Was, And Made Me A Better Person. God Bless You For All You’ve Done. FYI- No One Can Follow Your Act.”
- Flair then also tweeted: “Please Forgive Me! Except JCP!!!! I Forget My Age Sometimes!”
- Gerald Brisco tweeted yesterday: “Disappointed to see all you jabronis celebrating the retirement of the man who created a world that gave you so much enjoyment growing up. If Vince never existed, all you marks would have sadder lives than you already do.”
- After receiving criticism for his first post, Brisco sent out a follow-up tweet: “To be clear, the allegations of workplace misconduct are very serious and disappointing to me. I applaud the board for holding people accountable for their actions.”
- Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez will be back with a new edition of Wrestling Observer Radio tonight discussing the Vince McMahon story.
- Cody Rhodes, Zelina Vega, Ciampa, and The Undertaker appeared at a WWE/Mattel panel at San Diego Comic-Con.
- The Undertaker said he thinks going back to TV-14 would be a positive move for WWE: “I think it’s a good move. With their main demographic being 18-34 year old males. Done the way that WWE will do it, it will mean much more than just a random, ‘Okay, we’re gonna use a cuss word because it’s gonna get a cheap pop.’ WWE is smart and hopefully, when they do. Maybe it’s a chance to touch that Attitude Era. right? because I mean, the Attitude Era was out of control but it was such great, great TV. And we’re finally starting to get a talent roster now that knows how to use those kinds of tools.”
- Mandy Rose was the guest on this week’s episode of WWE After the Bell.
- Rose said she’s enjoying her time in NXT but ultimately wants to be back on Raw or SmackDown: “I am definitely enjoying my time in NXT, but at the end of the day, of course, I want to be back on Raw and SmackDown and I think I will be and I think people better show some respect and show what I’ve accomplished at this point and whether it’s defending my NXT Women’s title or whether I’m back up there trying to get the Raw Women’s Championship or the SmackDown Women’s Championship.”
- Liv Morgan, Drew McIntyre, and Gunther & Ludwig Kaiser were interviewed on The SmackDown LowDown this week.
- WWE’s YouTube channel uploaded Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton in a Punjabi Prison match for the WWE Championship from Battleground 2017, Seth Rollins & Finn Balor vs. Drew McIntyre & Dolph Ziggler from the July 23, 2018 episode of Raw, and Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross vs. The IIconics for the Women’s Tag Team titles from the SummerSlam 2019 pre-show.
- Biff Busick (formerly known as Oney Lorcan in WWE) announced yesterday that he’s decided to take some time away from performing in the ring: “If you have contacted me about bookings, I apologize if I haven't immediately gotten back to you. I've decided to take some time away from performing in the ring. Thank you.”
- During an interview with WrestlePurists, Jonathan Gresham spoke about being a Black technical wrestler: “It bothers me that you can have white guy number one with no character be great, but then you’ve got Black guy, same. ‘Oh he needs a character.’ But why? Why can’t he just be a good wrestler? You’ve gotta be so much more than the other guy that’s World Champion, doesn’t have a character, he’s good on the mic, sure, but he doesn’t do anything other than wristlocks, hammerlocks and some kicks. But Black guy that does the same thing, I need a f*cking character, I need all this extra stuff, like that's just the thing.”
- Sports Illustrated asked Samoa Joe if he’s surprised to be ROH Television Champion in 2022: “At this point, with all the twists and turns my career has taken, I can’t even say I am surprised. It’s wild to think, but nothing surprises me anymore. If you look through the various stages of my career, there were tons of things plenty of people said would never happen, yet they’ve happened in spades. Let’s put it this way: I’ve definitely stopped being upset with those who doubt. Shattering different perceptions has been really fun.”
- Joe was also asked if there’s anyone he would have liked to wrestle in NXT when he vacated the NXT Championship: “Absolutely. Bron Breakker. I’m a fan of that young gentleman, as well as his family. He’s a great individual, and I love seeing what he can do. Tommaso [Ciampa] is another one. He’s a proven performer, someone who goes in there and gives his heart. Saying this stuff may feel like we’re closing the door on it, but a lot can change in this industry. So never say never.”
- Britt Baker, Jade Cargill, Darby Allin, CM Punk, and Orange Cassidy spoke to TV Insider at San Diego Comic-Con.
- Rocky Romero appeared on AEW Unrestricted this week.
- Natalia Markova commented on WWE’s Carmella using her “badass with a great ass” catchphrase: “I lecture so much against any drama, I didn't even know until people started tagging me about her using my catchphrase. I would have expected her to stop doing that out of respect for the wrestling business. I'm a known wrestler, I've done a lot. I've had a big career, even though I'm not the most popular wrestler, people know about me. Stuff like that is cheap and not the right thing to do. I think stealing is bad, it doesn't matter if you're a big star or a small star. it's just disrespectful and if she wants to be a noble person she has to stop using my catchphrase.”