- WWE Talking Smack returning Saturday with new co-hosts
- VIDEO: WWE reveals ThunderDome set
- Alleged abductor denied $2 million bail in Sonya Deville case
- Vince McMahon appearance to kick off WWE SmackDown
- Tag title match, Big E vs. Sheamus set for WWE SmackDown
- WOL: Thunderdome, AEW TV, Takeover, SummerSlam, Beyond Wrestling, more! 8/21
- Wrestling Weekly: AEW/TNT, JCP, ThunderDome, season tickets for wrestling 8/21
- B&V: Bryan and Vinny review AEW and NXT head-to-head! 8/20
A big week of changes in the industry is looked at in the new issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, including the first look at what AEW television fans would do regarding NXT if there was no AEW and which fan base is more likely to watch and which fan base passed on the show.
Our lead story looks at Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic and UFC 252. We look at the key moments of the fight, the scoring, Jon Jones, the greatest heavyweight of all-time, PPV numbers, television ratings, Sean O'Malley, match-by-match coverage with poll results and more.
Also in this issue:
The history of Phillip Thomas and his attempt to kidnap Daria Berenato (Sonya Deville), his obsession, and full details as to what happened in a scary story.
Multiple shows benig canceled due to COVID, as well as updating the situation in Japan and Mexico and how each country has handled it differently.
WWE moving into the Amway Center, renaming it the Thunderdome for all television, how the idea happened and comments regarding the new location.
The reality of numbers, as well as a look at this week's major WWE shows.
Renee Young leaving WWE, how she first got into wrestling, her past and hat looks to be her future.
AEW selling tickets for its television tapings, the current schedule, live vs. tape on ratings and what shows Tony Khan studied for ideas on hwo to open.
Next round of New Japan major shows including the King of Pro Wrestling champinoship tournament.
WWE talks, Goldberg and Mysterio contracts, a discussion of the Patrick Clark situation, why NXT isn't at the Amway Center, why WWE removed a number of documentaries off the WWE Network, update on WWE creative, international TV ratings, WWE star places in fitness competition, how a new law could affect classificiation ofWWE employees and what it means, WWE star looking to at doing a new TV show, most-watched shows on the WWE Network and market value of the WWE right now.
A feature on the life of John "Xavier" Bedoya, the second ROH champion, including the early days of ROH, his comebacks wth the group, post ROH career and his attempts to get into MMA.
CMLL's opening in September and plans for its anniversary show including what seven championshps wil be on the line.
Ratings of all the major shows, the key demos and quarters for AEW and WWE, what happened head-to-head and what can be learned from them.
Results of all the major pro wrestling events around the world over the past week.
ORDERING INFO: Order the print Wrestling Observer right now and get it delivered via mail, by sending your name, address, Visa or Master Card number and an expiration date to email@example.com or by going to www.paypal.com directing funds to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rates in the United States are $14.50 for 4 issues, $35.50 for 12, $70 for 24, $116 for 40 and $149.50 for 52.
In Canada and Mexico, the rates are $16 for 4, $27 for 8, $38.50 for 12, $76 for 24, $126 for 40 and $162.50 for 52.
For the rest of the world, rates are $18 for 4, $48.50 for 12, $93 for 24, $155 for 40 and $201.50 for 52.
If you order by mail with a check, cash or money order to P.O. Box 1228, Campbell, CA 95009-1228, you can get $1 off in every price range.
FRIDAY NEWS UPDATE
We will have a number of new shows up over the next few days. I'll have shows the next four nights, with a show with Garrett Gonzalez tonight and likely another guest, plus Saturday's show on Takeover, UFC and AEW, Sunday's show on SummerSlam and Monday's show covering Raw.
AEW sold out its small allotment of tickets for Thursday's show at Daily's Place in four minutes There was an issue with scalpers and Tony Khan quickly released a statement:
We’re very grateful for the fast sellout of Thursday’s outdoor AEW.
Dynamite live show at 10% venue capacity that we recently announced. The show will be open to a limited number of fans wearing mandatory protective masks who will be seated in a specially designed, physically distanced arrangement in the open air Daily’s Place amphitheater and will air live on TNT on Thursday, August 27 at 8pm ET/7pm CT.
The tickets were sold in groups, or pods, with the intention of keeping fans with their friends and families and safely distanced from other fans
in attendance. We’re seeing some of these tickets being sold on the secondary market in a way that splits original pod, and therefore potentially combining two or more groups of unacquainted fans within the same pod.
This was clearly not our intention. Nothing is more important than the health and well-being of the entire AEW family, and that certainly includes our fans. It’s an illegal, unethical and inappropriate move by secondary market sellers, and we intend to police this situation onlineas well as at the venue.
To that end, we’re asking our fans to inform us if they’ve feel they’ve purchased tickets that were originally part of a larger pod and we will do what we can to offer a remedy. Furthermore, we will be watching for any AEW Dynamite tickets on the secondary market, and if we see anyone trying to divide a pod for resale, we will cancel the entire original order.
It’s going to be great to have fans back at our show with social distancing precautions in place that will make these outdoor events safe for everyone in attendance. Thank you to all of the great wrestling fans who support AEW!
A look at this weekend’s events:
NXT Takeover on Saturday night at 6:30 p.m.:
- Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs. Joaquin Wilde & Raul Mendoza vs. Tyler Breeze & Fandango for a shot at Imperium's NXT tag titles
- Finn Balor vs. Timothy Thatcher
- Adam Cole vs. Pat McAfee
- Io Shirai vs. Dakota Kai for women's title
- Johnny Gargano vs. Damien Priest vs. Bronson Reed vs. Velveteen Dream vs. Cameron Grimes for North American title in a ladder match
- Keith Lee vs,. Karrion Kross for NXT title
AEW Dynamite on Saturday after the afternoon NBA game at about 6 p.m. on TNT:
- Orange Cassidy interview
- Darby Allin vs. ?
- Brandi Rhodes & Allie vs. Diamante & Ivelisse for women's tag tourney finals
- FTR vs. Private Party
- Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus & Dustin Rhodes & QT Marshall vs. Butcher & Blade & Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix
- Kenny Omega & Young Bucks vs. Alex Reynolds & John Silver & Alan Angels
- Cody vs. Brodie Lee for TNT title
Bellator tonight on Paramount and DAZN at 10 p.m. Eastern:
- John Salter (186) vs. Andrew Kapel (185.1)
- Roy Nelson (264.9) vs. Valentin Moldavsky (234.6)
- Julie Budd (145.8) vs. Jessy Miele (147)
- Ryan Bader (204) vs. Vadim Nemkov (203.9) for the light heavyweight title
Miele missed weight by one pound
UFC tomorrow on ESPN starting at 5:30 p.m. Eastern from Las Vegas, so it's head-to-head with both Takeover and AEW:
- Trevin Jones (139.5) vs. Timur Valiev (140)
- Carlton Minus (170) vs. Matthew Semelsberger (170)
- Ike Villanueva (205.5) vs. Jordan Wright (200)
- Austin Hubbard (156) vs. Joe Solecki (155.5)
- Mizuki Inoue (115.5) vs. Amanda Lemos (115.5)
- Mariya Agapova (125.5) vs. Shana Dobson (126)
- Marcin Prachio (205.5) vs. Mike Rodriguezx (205.5)
- Alonzo Menifield (204.5) vs. Ovince Saint Preux (205.5)
- Pedro Munhoz (136) vs. Frankie Edgar (135.5)
A fight with Dwight Grant vs. Calen Born was pulled when Born didn't weigh-in this morning. A fight with Daniel Rodriguez vs.Takashi Sato was pulled from the show. Both weighed in and made weight, but the Nevada commission pulled Sato from competing. Born had replaced Mark Striegl, who pulled out of the fight with Valiev yesterday.
Amanda Nunes will be defending her women's featherweight title against Megan Anderson on 12/12 in a match that on paper looks to be one-sided in favor of the champion.
The XFL sale is now official to Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale.
- WWE debuts the Thunderdome tonight for Smackdown at 8 p.m. A.J. Styles vs. Jeff Hardy for the IC title Shinsuke Nakamura & Cesaro vs. Lucha House Party for tag titles Big E vs. Sheamus Drake Maverick vs. Tehuti Miles for 205 Live Jake Atlas vs Tony Nese for 205 Live
- Pat McAfee talked about his match with Adam Cole with ESPN.
- Odds for SummerSlam from www.BetOnline.ag Bray Wyatt -170 vs. Braun Strowman +130 Randy Orton -140 vs. Drew McIntyre +100 Asuka -140 vs. Sasha Banks +100 Asuka -120 vs. Bayley -120 Seth Rollins -140 vs. Dominik Mysterio +100 Andrade & Angel Garza -160 vs. Street Profits +125 Apollo Crews -200 vs. MVP +150 Mandy Rose -400 vs. Sonya Deville +250
- For NXT Takeover: Keith Lee -140 vs. Karrion Kross +100 Io Shirai -700 vs. Dakota Kai +400 Damien Priest +150 vs. Bronson Reed +275 vs. Johnny Gargano +325 vs. Velveteen Dream +500 vs. Cameron Grimes +650 Adam Cole -180 vs. Pat McAfee +140 Finn Balor -115 vs. Timothy Thatcher -115 Lorcan & Burch -200 vs. Breezango +200 vs. Legado del Fantasma +300
- Denise Salcedo talked to Drew McIntyre about Sunday's match with Randy Orton:
- Fedor Emelianenko, who is in the U.S. and doing press, said he was up to face Fabricio Werdum in a match of their 2010 fight.
- Darren Till vs. Jack Hermansson is tentatively scheduled for a 12/5 show provided Till's knee injury is okay.
- Kay Hansen vs. Cory Mckenna has been added to the 11/14 show along with Kanako Murata, a star out of Japan, vs. Livinha Souza.
- Countdown show for tomorrow's AEW.
- A correction in this week's Observer. When listing the amount of profits for All Japan over the past three years, those numbers were actually the losses, not the profits.
- MLW and Nerds Clothing have joined forces for a new MLW x Nerds collection of T-shirts,jackets and other wear.
- A trailer for a new horror movie that features Mick Foley. (thanks to Joe Puccio)
- Southeast based wrestlers are being looked for this coming Tuesday for an open casting call for a TV show called Heels that will air on Starz. The show will have a pro wrestling theme to it. You will not be wrestling at the tryout. The audition will be at 10 a.m. at 145 Commerce Dr., Tyron, Ga 30290. Please bring a publicity photo and workout gear. Eight one-hour episodes of the show, starring Stephen Amell, based on the idea of two brothers trying to keep alive a promotion that their father started after their father passes away. It's based on the idea of a regional promotion in the state of Georgia.
- LFA tonight on Fight Pass at 9 p.m. from Sioux Falls,SD Evan Elder (155.4) vs. Kegan Gennrich (154.8) Nathan Levy (146) vs. Ben Lugo (144,8) Aaron McKenzie (155.4) vs. Glaucio Eliziario (157.6) Jaleel Willis (168.6) vs,. Vinicius De Jesus (170) for welterweight title Elizario missed weight by 1.6 pounds.
- Former NCAA champion Ed Ruth (8-2) has been added to the 9/11 Bellator show facing Taylor Johnson (5-1). Kickboxing star Raymond Daniels (2-1) also faces Peter Stanonik (5-4) on that show.
- Southern Utah University is adding a six credit course called "Talkin Bout Hard Times: The Philosophy and Physiology of Sports Entertainment." It looks at pro wrestling topics such as class struggle to injuries, For more info you can go to
- Slam Wrestling has a feature on former WWE wrestler Krissy Vaine, who is attempting a wrestling comeback after leaving the WWE after just two televised appearances back in 2007.
- Bill Apter talks to Ricky Morton about AEW.
- Marty Jannetty talks Shawn Michaels
- ROH special tribute to Xavier.
- ROH news from Kevin Eck.
- There has been a lot of 1950s Roller Derby that has made its way to YouTube in recent months such as this from its days as a highly rated prime time show on ABC.
- Eric Young will be doing a new baseball and hockey podcast. Young is an expert on the NHL
Daily Pro Wrestling History: Dusty Rhodes wins his first NWA World title
- Poll opinions: email@example.com
- Feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show results and news tips: email@example.com
- Wrestling Observer Radio questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support the Empire~! with F4W shirts. Grab yours today