Shingo Takagi is this year’s Tokyo Sports MVP Award winner.
Takagi, who has spent most of the year as IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, commented after winning.
“Thank you for voting me as MVP,” he said upon accepting the award (via NJPW's website). “I don’t have the time here to really express how I feel, or how happy I am at the award, but to hear that the nominations were mainly for me and Keiji Muto, that shows that [the Yamanashi prefecture] is churning out the best in Japan and the world, and that’s pretty cool in my book.”
The two nominees for the award included Takagi and Keiji Muto, with Takagi winning the first round with a majority of 14 votes. Muto, along with Go Shiozaki, won the Best Bout award, which took place in Pro Wrestling NOAH back on February 12 of this year.
The full list of awards is as follows:
- MVP: Shingo Takagi (NJPW)
- Best Tag Team: Taichi and Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW)
- Best Bout: Go Shiozaki vs. Keiji Muto (NOAH)
- Outstanding Performer: Jake Lee (AJPW)
- Technique: Great-O-Khan (NJPW)
- Fighting Spirit: Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)
- Joshi: Utami Hayashishita (Stardom)
- Rookie: Yuki Arai (Tokyo Joshi Pro)
- Achievement: Rumi Kazama