Fans will decide whether handcuffs or blindfolds will be used in the New Japan Ranbo for the provisional KOPW 2021 title at NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam in Tokyo Dome.
Current provisional KOPW 2021 holder Toru Yano made the announcement in an interview on NJPW's website.
Yano stated that as with prior KOPW bouts, fans will be asked to choose the stipulation. In the past, NJPW has conducted those polls on the NJPW Global Twitter account. Yano proposed that either blindfolds or handcuffs be legal in the Ranbo.
"On the guardrails and the ropes will be handcuffs set up to use," said Yano. "The Ranbo is as normal, when you’re pinned, submitted or thrown over the top you’re out, but you can also be put out by being handcuffed, and then you’re stuck there for the rest of the match! Completely humiliated!"
"This time, the point of the Ranbo will be to put a blindfold on an opponent to eliminate them," Yano said. "The blindfolds will be suspended in different positions in and around the ringside area. Enough for every participant."
"Whether its blindfolds or handcuffs, NJPW will have to prepare as many of each as possible to make the rules viable. That’s a key point here."
NJPW announced the full lineup for Wrestle Grand Slam in Tokyo Dome earlier today. Here it is:
NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam in Tokyo Dome, Sunday, July 25, 1 a.m. Eastern time on NJPW World --
- IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Tetsuya Naito & SANADA (c) vs. Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: El Desperado (c) vs. Robbie Eagles
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo (c) vs. Rocky Romero & Ryusuke Taguchi
- Pre-show New Japan Ranbo for the provisional KOPW 2021