Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship is official for NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17.
The company formally announced Ospreay defending the US title against in Omega on January 4, 2023 at the Tokyo Dome after setting up the bout earlier in the day Sunday at NJPW X STARDOM Historic X-Over.
At Historic X-Over, a video promo from Omega played proposing the Ospreay match. Ospreay accepted, but the formal announcement was not officially made until later.
It will be the first NJPW match for Omega since January 2019 in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom 13.
Additionally, the IWGP Women's Championship match set up at the end of Historic X-Over was officially announced for Wrestle Kingdom as well.
KAIRI will make her first defense of the IWGP Women's title at Wrestle Kingdom against Tam Nakano.
The updated Wrestle Kingdom lineup:
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17, Wednesday, January 4 --
- IWGP World Heavyweight Championship: Jay White (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada
- IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship: Will Ospreay (c) vs. Kenny Omega
- IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: Taiji Ishimori (c) vs. Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Desperado vs. Master Wato
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championship: FTR (c) vs. TBA
- NJPW World Television Championship tournament finals: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Ren Narita
- IWGP Women's Championship match: KAIRI (c) vs. Tam Nakano