Former Undisputed Era stablemates Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly will clash in an unsanctioned match at NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver.
It was announced on tonight's NXT that Cole will face O'Reilly in an unsanctioned match at TakeOver: Stand & Deliver night two. The match will be the co-main event of that night's card.
Going into tonight's NXT, it was announced that NXT general manager William Regal would address Cole and O'Reilly's recent actions. Since Cole turned against O'Reilly at TakeOver: Vengeance Day last month, they've each attacked each other and have gotten into multiple altercations. There was an angle on last week's NXT where police got involved after O'Reilly tried to run Cole off the road. WWE also uploaded video earlier this week of Cole confronting O'Reilly while O'Reilly was taking part in a jiu-jitsu training session.
Regal told Cole and O'Reilly tonight that things between them have gotten out of control. Regal said he's not going to let them embarrass this company. Regal then presented them with a solution for the situation -- a contract for an unsanctioned match at TakeOver: Stand & Deliver.
In storyline, the unsanctioned stipulation was needed due to O'Reilly still not being cleared to compete after Cole gave him a brainbuster on the steel steps last month. It was said that the match only became official when Cole and O'Reilly signed the contract and acknowledged that NXT isn't responsible for anything that happens to them.
Tonight's NXT ended with Cole and O'Reilly being kept apart by officials after they signed the contract for their unsanctioned match. Cole said he turned against Undisputed Era because he realized that the group was holding him back. Cole said that, deep down in his core, O'Reilly is nothing more than a lapdog. Cole said O'Reilly is comfortable sitting on the sidelines and being a sidekick. Cole called himself the greatest NXT Champion there's ever been and said he's nothing like O'Reilly.
Cole said Undisputed Era was never about friendship or a brotherhood -- it was about being the best. Cole claimed that O'Reilly never would have made it to WWE without him.
O'Reilly said that while he's grown up and has started to be accountable for his actions, Cole is still the same asshole that he was when Undisputed Era came to NXT. O'Reilly said he sold his soul for the Undisputed Era and now wants it back. O'Reilly said that, for the first time in four years, he'll sleep like a baby after defeating Cole at TakeOver: Stand & Deliver.
Here are the updated cards for TakeOver:
TakeOver: Stand & Deliver night one (airing live on the USA Network on Wednesday, April 7) --
- NXT Women's Champion Io Shirai defends against Raquel Gonzalez
- NXT United Kingdom Champion WALTER defends against Tommaso Ciampa
- Triple threat match for the vacant NXT Tag Team titles: MSK (Wes Lee & Nash Carter) vs, The Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake) vs. Legado Del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde)
- Gauntlet Eliminator match to determine NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano's challenger for TakeOver: Stand & Deliver night two (a 12-man battle royal on next week's NXT will determine the six participants for the Gauntlet Eliminator match)
TakeOver: Stand & Deliver night two (airing live on Peacock in the United States/WWE Network everywhere else on Thursday, April 8) --
- NXT Champion Finn Balor defends against Karrion Kross
- Unsanctioned match: Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly
- Ladder match to determine undisputed NXT Cruiserweight Champion: Jordan Devlin vs. Santos Escobar
- NXT North American Champion Johnny Gargano defends against the winner of the Gauntlet Eliminator match from night one