The future of Ring of Honor will focus on non-contracted indie talent, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.
Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez discussed the situation in-depth following Wednesday's news that after December's Final Battle pay-per-view, the company will take the first quarter of 2022 off to internally reassess their future.
Assuming they return, Meltzer said the plan will be to "essentially be an indie promotion" where they book top available talent on nights they have shows and TV tapings, leaving themselves open to issues if a champion gets signed to a deal elsewhere.
As previously reported, contracted talent will be paid through the early part of 2022 and can work elsewhere in the meantime outside their commitments for the final round of TV tapings in November and the Final Battle PPV.
Meltzer said that Sinclair didn't cancel the ROH TV show and that at some point after the November taping footage is used up, they will use old footage for their weekly TV product until their presumed return.
Listen to their conversation about the situation below: