After four years, it appears that Nick Diaz may be making a return to the octagon next year.
Brett Okamoto of ESPN is reporting that Diaz is close to finalizing to return to the UFC at UFC 235, which is scheduled for March 2 in Las Vegas, Nevada. If both sides agree, Diaz will face Jorge Masvidal in a welterweight bout. The report says that Masvidal told ESPN this week that he had been offered the fight, but wasn’t sure if Diaz would accept.
Diaz last fought for the UFC back at UFC 183 in January of 2015, losing to Anderson Silva by unanimous decision. The result was overturned after Silva tested positive for drostanolone and androsterone. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana and suspended Diaz for 18 months. He was again suspended after missing three drug tests out-of-competition.
Masvidal also hasn’t fought in a while. He’s been out due to injuries as well as taking part in a Spanish-language reality show.