Despite testing positive for COVID-19, WWE Champion Drew McIntyre's next title defense has been made official.
A video aired on Raw tonight where McIntyre accepted Goldberg's challenge for a WWE Championship match at the Royal Rumble. The pay-per-view is taking place on Sunday, January 31.
After McIntyre retained his WWE Championship against Keith Lee in the main event of Raw Legends Night last week, Goldberg returned to WWE television, confronted McIntyre, and challenged him to a title match at the Royal Rumble. Goldberg shoved McIntyre down, then McIntyre got up and got in Goldberg's face.
McIntyre said he respects and admires Goldberg, but Goldberg let him down last week by accusing McIntyre of disrespecting the WWE legends. McIntyre said Goldberg is 20 years older than him and he originally didn't want to accept Goldberg's challenge because of that, but his opinion changed when Goldberg put his hands on him.
McIntyre also mentioned that Goldberg doesn't know anything about being WWE Champion because the title has eluded Goldberg for his entire career.
This will be the first time Goldberg has wrestled since losing the Universal Championship to Braun Strowman at WrestleMania 36.
In another video that aired earlier on tonight's Raw, McIntyre gave an update on his condition after testing positive for COVID-19. McIntyre said he's fortunate that he isn't experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. McIntyre urged everyone to wear their masks, follow social distancing guidelines, and take COVID-19 seriously.