After being out of action for more than a month, Lars Sullivan returned to the ring at last night's NXT house show in Dade City, Florida.
Sullivan defeated Babatunde Aiyegbusi with the Freak Accident slam in three minutes. Before Sullivan interrupted, Aiyegbusi was cutting a heel promo and said nobody in NXT is bigger or stronger than him. Sullivan also laid out Marcel Barthel later in the night.
In the most recent edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer reported that Sullivan had been dealing with some problems with the knee that he previously had reconstructive surgery on and that there were also issues with his pituitary. But Meltzer wrote that Sullivan was expected to return to training very soon.
Sullivan didn't appear at either of the two days of NXT television tapings earlier this month. Prior to his absence, Sullivan wrestled Lio Rush at the tapings in early January and then faced Roderick Strong at two house shows.
Here are results from last night's show (courtesy of @FLWrestlingFan) --
- Roderick Strong defeated Raul Mendoza
This was a good opener. Strong won in 10 minutes with a spinning front slam.
- Bianca Belair & Reina Gonzalez defeated Candice LeRae & Aliyah
Belair pinned Aliyah after a spear. LeRae was making her debut on the Florida house show loop.
- Lars Sullivan defeated Babatunde Aiyegbusi
They had a fun big-man match, ending when Sullivan hit the Freak Accident in three minutes. The crowd popped huge at the feat of strength and chanted "One more time," but Sullivan was told to go to the back.
- Brennan Williams defeated Christopher Dijak
The crowd was surprised by the finish but reacted positively as Williams was the good guy.
- The Street Profits defeated Adrian Jaoude & Cezar Bononi
Ford pinned Jaoude after a frog splash.
Jaoude & Bononi were announced as the team "Eh Nois." In Brazil, that name is used to describe friends, family, or people you like, so they might be starting something soon with them and Taynara Conti.
- Kairi Sane defeated Vanessa Borne
They had a good match and this was the best I've seen Borne look. Sane hit her elbow drop for the victory.
- Marcel Barthel came out and cut a promo, saying he came to NXT to re-instill what professional wrestling should be. Sullivan's music hit, he destroyed Barthel with the Freak Accident, and he gave him another one after the crowd chanted "One more time."
- The Authors of Pain defeated TM61
Nick Miller took the pin after being hit with The Last Chapter. These two teams have great chemistry.
- Aleister Black defeated Buddy Murphy
This went for about 20 minutes and there were multiple "This is awesome" and "NXT" chants. Black connected with the Black Mass for the win.
The match received a standing ovation after it was over. Murphy then got down on one knee and extended his hand. Black shook it, stood Murphy up, and Murphy raised Black's hand as a sign of respect.