After winning the WWE Championship at WrestleMania 36, Drew McIntyre's first pay-per-view title defense will be against Seth Rollins.
It was confirmed on tonight's Raw that McIntyre will defend his WWE Championship against Rollins at Money in the Bank. The PPV is taking place on Sunday, May 10.
Last week's Raw ended with Rollins attacking McIntyre and laying him out with a superkick and two curb stomps. McIntyre then opened tonight's show by challenging Rollins to face him at Money in the Bank.
McIntyre said he could make Rollins jump through hoops to prove he deserves a title shot, but McIntyre called Rollins one of the most decorated WWE wrestlers ever and said he knows how good Rollins is. McIntyre said if he wants to be one of the greatest champions of all time, he needs to continue to beat the best.
A promo where Rollins accepted McIntyre's challenge then aired later on tonight's show. He said he wasn't accepting the challenge out of respect or disdain -- but out of necessity. Rollins said he and McIntyre have a lot in common, but the WWE universe needs a leader now more than ever. Rollins said he's a proven leader and McIntyre isn't. Rollins also said he's the one who will be the light in the darkness.
McIntyre won the WWE Championship by defeating Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania 36. Rollins lost to Kevin Owens at WrestleMania.
McIntyre retaining his title against Big Show aired on the post-WrestleMania episode of Raw, with WWE saying the match took place after WrestleMania went off the air.
Here's the updated card for Money in the Bank:
- Women's Money in the Bank ladder match (Shayna Baszler, Asuka, Nia Jax, and Dana Brooke have qualified thus far)
- Men's Money in the Bank ladder match (Aleister Black, Apollo Crews, Rey Mysterio, and Daniel Bryan have qualified thus far)
- Universal Champion Braun Strowman defending against Bray Wyatt
- WWE Champion Drew McIntyre defending against Seth Rollins
- SmackDown Women's Champion Bayley defending against Tamina