Though the match was made apparent last week, it was officially announced on tonight's Raw that Roman Reigns would challenge Rusev for his United States Championship at the brand's upcoming Clash of Champions pay-per-view.
Reigns opened Raw with a promo targeted at Rusev for interfering in his match against Kevin Owens last week. Reigns was joined by Stephanie McMahon and Mick Foley in the ring, and Foley announced that Reigns would face Rusev for his title at Sunday’s PPV.
After Rusev's interference last week was the storyline reason that prevented him from joining the Clash of Champions main event, Reigns will face Owens again in a steel cage match in the main event of tonight’s Raw. But Stephanie McMahon clarified that the match won’t be for Owens’ WWE Universal Championship.
The current card for Clash of Champions is:
- WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens defending against Seth Rollins
- Raw Women’s Champion Charlotte defending against Sasha Banks and Bayley in a triple threat match
- United States Champion Rusev defending against Roman Reigns
- Raw Tag Team Champions The New Day defending against Karl Anderson & Luke Gallows
- Sami Zayn vs. Chris Jericho