A first-time matchup between Ronda Rousey and Sasha Banks is set for the Royal Rumble.
Rousey will defend her Raw Women's Championship against Banks at this month's Royal Rumble pay-per-view. That was made official on Monday's episode of Raw, with Banks defeating Nia Jax in a number one contender's match to become Rousey's next challenger.
On Raw, Rousey appeared on Alexa Bliss' "A Moment of Bliss" talk show segment. Rousey said she wants to be a champion everyone can be proud of and praised Banks. Nia Jax then interrupted Rousey and Bliss and wanted another match against Rousey. Banks came out, said she was honored by Rousey's comments and would love to face Rousey for the title, and that it would be her pleasure to teach Rousey how to lose with dignity and class.
The angle led to Banks and Jax's number one contender's match being made. Banks submitted Jax with the Banks Statement to win.
Royal Rumble 2019 is taking place at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona on January 27. Here's the updated card:
- Universal Champion Brock Lesnar defending against Braun Strowman
- WWE Champion Daniel Bryan defending against AJ Styles
- Women's Royal Rumble match
- Men's Royal Rumble match
- Raw Women's Champion Ronda Rousey defending against Sasha Banks
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion Buddy Murphy defending against Kalisto, Akira Tozawa, and either Cedric Alexander or Hideo Itami in a fatal four-way match (a qualifying match between Alexander and Itami is taking place on this week's 205 Live)