Asuka is getting two title shots at SummerSlam.
In addition to challenging for Sasha Banks' Raw Women's Championship at the pay-per-view, Asuka will also challenge Bayley for the SmackDown Women's Championship. Asuka was confirmed as Bayley's SummerSlam challenger by winning a triple brand battle royal on SmackDown tonight.
The battle royal featured wrestlers from Raw, SmackDown, and NXT. It came down to Asuka and Shayna Baszler as the final two. Bayley interfered and tried to eliminate Asuka, but Asuka then laid out Bayley and Banks with a sliding knee. When Baszler tried to knock Asuka off the apron, Asuka's feet didn't hit the floor because she landed on Bayley and Banks. Baszler put Asuka in the Kirifuda Clutch, but Asuka was able to eliminate her.
On Raw this week, Asuka defeated Bayley in a match where the stipulation was that Asuka would get a shot at Banks' Raw Women's Championship at SummerSlam if she won. There was a segment after tonight's battle royal where Bayley and Banks spoke backstage. Banks brought up Bayley losing to Asuka on Raw but assured her they'd both be fine in their matches at SummerSlam. Bayley agreed and said that -- since her title will be on the line at SummerSlam -- she'll actually have something important to fight for this time. Asuka then attacked Bayley and Banks.
SummerSlam is taking place on Sunday, August 23. Here's the updated card for the PPV:
- WWE Champion Drew McIntyre defending against Randy Orton
- Raw Women's Champion Sasha Banks defending against Asuka
- SmackDown Women's Champion Bayley defending against Asuka
- Universal Champion Braun Strowman defending against "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt
- Raw Tag Team Champions The Street Profits defending against Andrade & Angel Garza
- United States Champion Apollo Crews defending against MVP
- Seth Rollins vs. Dominik Mysterio