Tuesday night saw the addition of two matches to WWE's upcoming Backlash card.
After Bray Wyatt interrupted Randy Orton’s promo last week, Wyatt challenged Orton to a match at Backlash on Tuesday's SmackDown. Wyatt said Orton was only a mortal, and Brock Lesnar exploited all of Orton's flaws at SummerSlam. Orton responded that he has been damaged for some time, and accepted the match with Wyatt.
In a match that was made official on SmackDown’s post-show, The Miz will defend his Intercontinental Championship against Dolph Ziggler at Backlash. Miz was defending himself against SmackDown General Manager Daniel Bryan's comments from last week's Talking Smack when Ziggler confronted him on Tuesday's SmackDown.
Ziggler reiterated Bryan's claims, saying Miz only wants to be famous instead of doing his job inside of the ring. He challenged Miz to prove he wasn't a coward on SmackDown, but Miz walked away from a confrontation.
Backlash is SmackDown’s first brand-exclusive pay-per-view since the WWE Draft. It will take place on September 11th in Richmond, VA.
The updated card for the show is:
- WWE World Heavyweight Champion Dean Ambrose vs. AJ Styles in a championship match
- Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt
- Becky Lynch vs. Natalya vs. Nikki Bella vs. Carmella vs. Naomi vs. Alexa Bliss in a six-pack challenge for the SmackDown Women’s Championship
- The finals of the SmackDown Tag Team Championship tournament.
- Intercontinental Champion The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler in a championship match