Update on WWE’s tag team division plans | Exclusive

  • Ian Carey
COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA - MAY 15: <> during SmackDown at Colonial Life Arena on May 15, 2026 in Columbia, South Carolina. (Photo by WWE)

Bryan Alvarez has an update on WWE looking to rebuild its tag team division.

On Wednesday, False Finish HQ reported that WWE is looking to rebuild the division from within, while also possibly signing tag teams from other promotions in the near future.

Alvarez wrote to his subscribers on X that he’s been told WWE doesn’t have much interest in outside tag teams at the moment and is looking instead to focus on newly made teams such as The Miz and Kit Wilson, as well as bringing tag teams from NXT up to the main roster.

Alvarez wrote:

“Also, regarding tag teams, we are told WWE does not really have much interest in outside tag teams at the time, but there are newly-made teams on TV like Miz & Kit that will remain tag teams, and a few teams in NXT likely called up soon as well.”

Several tag teams and tag team wrestlers were part of WWE roster cuts revealed following WrestleMania 42 last month.

Those who have recently departed the company include Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston of New Day, who were reportedly granted their release after WWE requested they take a pay cut less than one year into a five-year deal they had signed.

Other recently departed tag teams and tag team wrestlers include Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin of the Motor City Machine Guns, every member of the Wyatt Sicks, as well as Jeff Cobb and Tonga Loa of the MFTs.

Ian Carey
Ian Carey

Ian Carey is a writer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, whose work has been featured in NOW Magazine, The Huffington Post, and more. A lifelong wrestling aficionado born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, he has covered the industry for a decade and a half. He joined the f4wonline.com team in 2019.