The WWE Championship match will open night one of WrestleMania 37.
WWE confirmed this afternoon that the WWE title match between champion Bobby Lashley and challenger Drew McIntyre would open the show.
McIntyre expressed interest in opening the show in an interview with Wrasslinews last week.
“I mean, I would be happy opening the show or closing the show,” he said. “This year is so unique in the sense that the last match -- every match at WrestleMania is a main event. Let’s be realistic, if you’re on WrestleMania, you’re in a main event, but when you’re fighting for the championship, generally it’s cool to close the show. This is such a unique WrestleMania, without having the fans there for an entire year, that first reaction is gonna be so, so special. So that’s why I said if I finish last, the last match -- that’s phenomenal! That’s fantastic! That’s tradition! But if I’m in the opening match, to me that’s also just as big because if you get to walk out in that first match and get the crowd full of energy and all those pent up reactions that we’ve been keeping inside for a year, that’s gonna be special too."
Night one of WrestleMania 37, which takes place on April 10, will also feature the following matches:
- Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair for the SmackDown Women’s title
- Bad Bunny and Damian Priest vs. The Miz and John Morrison
- The New Day vs. AJ Styles and Omos for the Raw Tag Team titles
- Braun Strowman vs. Shane McMahon in a steel cage match
- Cesaro vs. Seth Rollins
- Lana & Naomi vs. Dana Brooke & Mandy Rose vs. The Riott Squad (Liv Morgan and Ruby Riott) vs. Natalya & Tamina in a Tag Team Turmoil match where the winners will face Nia Jax and Shanya Baszler for the WWE Women’s Tag Team titles on night two of WrestleMania 37